It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When the Asteroid hits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I have just been reading a very interesting online article about how it would be impossible to destroy a life threatening asteroid with a nuclear bomb, should the situation so arise. I know that this is not new news, but it is part of the article that has got me thinking a bit. This is the first time that I have read an article of this type which includes survival tips for an asteroid strike. Now I am sure that this is all purely theoretical and nothing more will come of it, I just thought it a bit odd to mention it. You can't help but think is this sensationalism or is someone trying to secretly warn us without having to tell us the truth?

Anyway, here is the article: Its the emergency plan that I found Interesting.

Physicists from the Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Leicester, claim it would be impossible to destroy an asteroid by using a nuclear weapon buried deep within.

(Long Island, N.Y.) A team of physics students from the University of Leicester have been performing some interesting calculations on the feasibility of saving the planet from a meteorite doomsday. The Journal of Special Physics Topics from the University of Leicester covered the research in full and while Hollywood might have you believe otherwise, a nuclear weapon wouldn’t actually save the planet from an impending asteroid attack. In order to destroy an asteroid of sufficient size to wreck the Earth, such a bomb would have to be 1 billion times stronger than the largest nuclear device ever detonated. While Big Ivan was a powerful dark jewel in the USSR’s Cold War era arsenal, it still only carried a 50-megaton payload.

Even if one could build a hydrogen bomb strong enough to do some damage, the asteroid would have to be detected far earlier than the weapon in the 1998 movie Armageddon. Space exploration and military services would need ample time to plan a solution. In fact, moving the asteroid away from Earth with an attached propulsion system would be a better idea. “The conclusion is very simple. Our current level of technology is simply nowhere near sufficient to protect Earth from such an asteroid by this specific means of asteroid defense, though other possible methods have been suggested that may be more feasible” the paper stated.

In the unlikely event that a major disaster were to take place from an asteroid, it might be several days before vital services are restored; be prepared by following these tips.

BEFORE AN ASTEROID ATTACK OCCURS

Create and emergency plan that you and the members of your household are familiar with.
Keep an emergency kit with survival items like flashlights, batteries, a radio, food, water, dusk masks and basic medical supplies that will last at least three to five days.
If you are near the ocean or large waterways move immediately to higher ground as there may be huge Tsunami sized floods as an effect of an asteroid impact.

DURING AN ASTEROID ATTACK

Find a safe level place to drop, cover, and hold on until the shaking stops.
Avoid going outside whenever possible and for as long as possible.
Take your Survival Kit with you if you do have to leave.

AFTER AN ASTEROID ATTACK

Expect the possibility of secondary disasters (such as earthquakes, aftershocks and tsunamis).
Report injuries or fires to the emergency services (dial 911).
Listen to the radio or other digital or analog transmissions for advice and information.

More:
www.newsli.com...

Web Link to article: www.newsli.com...

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
edit on 13-8-2012 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I found it interesting that the article gives survival tips for a small asteroid strike but then maybe there's just no way to survive a large one.

It certainly seems as if someone is trying to warn us via stealth.

I'm gonna stick close to this kind of stories, to see if there's a pattern.

S&F
ALS

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
If it helps relieve the fears a little, you article does say:

In fact, moving the asteroid away from Earth with an attached propulsion system would be a better idea. “The conclusion is very simple. Our current level of technology is simply nowhere near sufficient to protect Earth from such an asteroid by this specific means of asteroid defense, though other possible methods have been suggested that may be more feasible” the paper stated.
Sleep well.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Now that I look at it again, whats even more curious is that the article has appeared this year, why now?

The survival plan, looks well thought out as if it had been planned for quite a while.

I'm sure its my paranoia, but reading this has made me go a little cold this morning. Why publish a survivors guide for an event that they have said in the past may happen?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Lol thanks, I will sleep much better at night knowing that at the moment we have no way of saving the planet.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I think the best way to go is using heat to melt it. This way, given enough time it can be dramatically reduced in size, or make it disappear entirely.

Here is the use of sunlight and mirrors:

gizmodo.com...

Best bet is a laser beam.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by fossy
reply to post by charles1952

Lol thanks, I will sleep much better at night knowing that at the moment we have no way of saving the planet.

Its been this way all your life so why should it change the way you sleep? Is it because you learned something?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Its like they have just given up without even trying ,based on their "calculations" which could be flawed
Way to go scientists,Just give up because you will be in the freedom ship to Mars .Thanks for nothin

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

When you consider the composition of most astroids....granted a nuke wouldn't make much of a dent, yet it is possible to steer it off course with one.

Also considering that NASA doesn't get much in the way of funding, what would you expect in terms of creative think tank? The rely heavily on university studies and cross over college courses from students to come up with their stuff now and days.

JPL lab is a fine example of this....When you have to out source for ideas....don't expect much.

It is wise to point out that the movie Armageddon with Bruce Willis is shown at NASA as a training tool of inaccuracy within the movie....to date there is like 142 things in the movie that just could not happen. So if your thinking that the idea of drilling would work....think again.
edit on 13-8-2012 by Kastogere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
thx for sharing the information.
after an asteroid hit, there will be no 911 to call. this delicate service will be down and out within the first few minutes, unfortunately.

most all infastructure will be stalled or disabled.

each individuals really need to focus on some sort of emergency preparedness. sadly, probably 90% of society doesn't believe anything like this would or could ever happen.
thx for sharing.

top topics

join