It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was God doing before creation and why did he wait an eternity to create the Universe.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
This is a thought experiment, that you are a theist or atheist is irrelevant.

Our premise is that God created the Universe starting with the Big Bang and then followed cosmological evolution that eventually lead to biological evolution and to humans.

God being eternal WAS for an eternity before the creation of the Universe. This means that at the moment of Creation he had BEEN for an eternity. Why wait an eternity? what was he doing?

I like to think he was fantasizing about the creation to come, thinking of every single detail, of the emplacement of every quark,boson,hadron to follow the initial singularity. Building up enough power to initiate creation perhaps?

I hope i will get many reply related to the thought experiment and not so much about the premise of the experiment. If you just cannot pretend that a God created our Universe for the sake of this thread do not bother replying.

Can't wait to read the replies.

Every time i try to imagine God before creation, this is all i see.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/wy50289844.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
He going to tell us all at the same time. No favoritism.
When did angels come into existence? He created them. How did they earn his grace to become what they are?
You'll give yourself an aneurism thinking you can get an answer before you stand before Him.
edit on 13-8-2012 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I just can't understand why approx. 3/4 of new members post these 'thought provoking' religious threads lately.

Why are you doing this? Is there nowhere else for you to lurk? Do you believe you will make converts out of realistic thinkers?

Thanks but please explain your agenda.

Peace

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
If you want to be literal in interpretation - then you have to refer to scripture that God is the alpha and the omega - simultaneously. This implies that God exists outside of time and its passage would be irrelevant and even unnoticeable to him.

Then again maybe he already knew what we'd be like and he put it off for a long time... kinda like we do with cleaning out the garage or the attic.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Assuming that He created the "cosmic egg" that began the "big bang," was there any time before that? How do we measure time, how do we know that it exists? I think we know it only because of change: the decay rate of radioactive substances, the sequence of thoughts that go through our minds, the movement of stars.

Perhaps there was no time before the creation, at least as we know time. Where does this lead us? I'm not sure, but, thankfully, it's your thread not mine. Maybe other posts will clear my mind on the subject.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DCLXVI

he had to get things right
makin things takes time

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Maybe God was praying to his God for advice on whether or not to create our universe and thus become a God in his own right.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I just can't understand why approx. 3/4 of new members post these 'thought provoking' religious threads lately.

Why are you doing this? Is there nowhere else for you to lurk? Do you believe you will make converts out of realistic thinkers?

Thanks but please explain your agenda.

Peace

Was going to answer this ridiculous post, then not, then yes, then not, then i said to myself even do you are obviously looking for this answer (from the trollish look of your reply) i will give it anyways.

Why are you doing this? Asking people what they think of one of the greatest mystery of the Universe in order to work my mind and imagination. You have a problem with that?

Is there nowhere else for you to lurk? I think that this place is just right. You should leave the creation forum if religion/creation makes you nervous.

Do you believe you will make converts out of realistic thinkers? Do you know me? Do you know what i believe in?

convert realistic thinkers..lol i have to admit, you made me laugh.

edit on 13-8-2012 by DCLXVI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Forgive me, but why does he have to have an agenda? It's an interesting thought experiment on it's own and I think it deserves a little more thoughtful commentary.

How would you describe time in relation to the time before the "big bang?" Scientists don't seem to have an answer for what conditions were like prior to the existence of the "cosmic egg." Perhaps you believe in a cyclical universe with no beginning or no end. How did that happen?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Lee Smolin would tell you that a first Universe would be needed for the cycle to begin through black holes.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I think that according to modern creationist theory everything must have been created and designed by a higher power, or it would be chaos, a bit like a tornado in a junk-yard making a Boeing 747.

So I think along that theory that our God must have been created by a bigger God.
And that God was created by an even bigger God ... and so forth in creationism to infinity.

So our God was waiting to be created by a bigger God.
He didn't just evolve or appear - God was created too.
Then he created our universe, which has infinite cycles.

It explodes from a tiny point and reduces back to that eventually, and then it repeats.
That's some scientific theory I saw.
They said the big bang was a hit and miss between two dimensions, like two waving sheets that happen to collide every few billion years.
When they do collide it all expands, and eventually it all contracts.
Then it rests and starts again.

In Hindu thought this is not so strange.
Everything in the material universe is a cycle.
The God-head is the creator and destroyer of worlds and universes.
edit on 13-8-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DCLXVI

What did God do before creation?

Silly! God inhaled. Creation always happens on the exhale.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DCLXVI

Dear DCLXVI,

Thank you, that seems sensible. It does bring us back to the OP's question,though. I'm sorry some people are avoiding it.

I have to confess that I'm having trouble with the human concept of time in a pre- "cosmic egg" universe. I wonder what a philosophy expert would have to say about it.

With respect,
Charles1952

edit on 13-8-2012 by charles1952 because: add close

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I like that question... I just gave myself a headache thinking about it...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Think you are mixing the Big Bounce theory with the "loaf of bread" from M/string theory. But interesting nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DCLXVI
Our premise is that God created the Universe starting with the Big Bang and then followed cosmological evolution that eventually lead to biological evolution and to humans.

the Egyptian creation myth is that all matter and consciousness eventually organizes itself through intellectual reason, into a massive construct, everything eventually merges with itself through whatever means..

once this construct is formed.. everything is one ... literally (not figuratively or hypothetically) ...

and that giant being of consciousness is "GOD" .. and since the prison of "linear time" is an illusion of the human mind, then all times exist simultaneously.. making this "god" thing exist while we exist..

but when looked at in a linear fashion (the only way a story can be told) ... once the infinite being forms... (and according to Egyptian mythology) ... it feels a massive sense of relief and achievement ... then almost instantly.. it feels completely lonely and bored.. since it is now the only thing in existence...
then in a final act of self-love .. it masturbates and it's orgasm is so powerful, that it fractures and splits into infinitely uncountable pieces... which is the next big bang... a big bounce occurs if you will.. where both random and intelligent accretion of form occur until god "becomes" then suicides himself in order to have another round of "experience"....

hope this helps...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Great reply, thank you. But before the first masturbation, was everything already ONE or did ONE need to become everything first?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Perhaps he was one of many scientists at an installation like CERN trying to discover the complexities of his universe and by doing so, created ours. Perhaps our scientists will one day do the exact same thing...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I think in the eternity before ours there was an internet and there was a website called ATS and he spent too much time debating stuff with other gods and lost track of time and that's why it took him so long.

(Sorry.)

Goodnight all.

Depending on where you are have a good night, morning, or day or whatever.

Peace.
edit on 13-8-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by DCLXVI
This is a thought experiment, that you are a theist or atheist is irrelevant.

God being eternal WAS for an eternity before the creation of the Universe. This means that at the moment of Creation he had BEEN for an eternity. Why wait an eternity? what was he doing?

I like to think he was fantasizing about the creation to come, thinking of every single detail, of the emplacement of every quark,boson,hadron to follow the initial singularity. Building up enough power to initiate creation perhaps?

I hope i will get many reply related to the thought experiment and not so much about the premise of the experiment. If you just cannot pretend that a God created our Universe for the sake of this thread do not bother replying.

Can't wait to read the replies.

Every time i try to imagine God before creation, this is all i see.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/wy50289844.jpg[/atsimg]

Okay read this PLEASE....

Well think about this..... really really think here okay.....

God created time. He's not acting within it the way we are. He's not bound by time and watching a clock. That's something we can't understand. But again. He owns and created time and space. It doesn't run him he runs it. In a sense he is time and space. You got to look at everything created from that perspective.

The thought experiment just doesn't work because you're trying to put God into a time frame. It's just so ridiculous. He doesn't have any time frame. He can see the whole universe from the time it started to the time it finishes all at once. It's like trying to explain other dimensions of time and space. It's not something that we can easily understand.

But again, he's not acting within the time we act in.

But this is interesting because I like the subject as I've put some thought into it....

God is in every atom. When you touch your keyboard your touching God. He's inside every atom and quork. Simultaneously I could see him being in heaven and say on some pedestal, he has the whole universe he created the size of a toy marble. He can pick it up in his hand and see the earth and see you within it. And also when he picks up the marble sized universe he sees it front to back, back to front in terms of time. He can see you born and die, and everything from start to finish all at once.

This is just my weak mortal interpretation but it's probably even way beyond that. But that's some concepts that are hard to fully understand for a human.

edit on 13-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join