It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The human brain is like an advanced remote control

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
"Strange Computer Code Discovered Concealed In Superstring Equations! "

"Doubly-even self-dual linear binary error-correcting block code,( first invented by Claude Shannon in the 1940's), has been discovered embedded WITHIN the equations of superstring theory!
Why does nature have this? What errors does it need to correct? What is an 'error' for nature? More importantly what is the explanation for this freakish discovery? Your guess is as good as mine."

"Dr. S. James Gates, Jr., a theoretical physicist, the John S. Toll Professor of Physics at the University of Maryland, and the Director of The Center for String & Particle Theory, is reporting that certain string theory, super-symmetrical equations, which describe the fundamental nature of the Universe and reality, contain embedded computer codes. These codes are digital data in the form of 1′s and 0′s. Not only that, these codes are the same as what make web browsers work and are error-correction codes! Gates says, “We have no idea what these ‘things’ are doing there”." www.transcend.ws...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Cool vid (kinda sad
lol)and I admit it's more than I knew but it still doesn't answer the question of memories and personality. The monkey has no way of communicating its thoughts to a human other than its normal "monkey" instincts. Maybe if the brain that was transplanted was from a trained monkey and the new one was able to demonstrate the same behavior it would be more in line of where I'm thinking. The fact that it shows that a human transplant is more possible than not is interesting though..

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by d0l01

yea i mean,,, hopefully when we really need to do stuff like that,, or really want to,, we are magnitudes more technologically advanced,., like with non biological bodies,.,.,.., or when our bodies get old,,, download our memory and consciousness onto a hard rive,, and upload it into a fresh body cloned from our cells.,.,.,. were still pretty primitive right now but better then weve ever been and constantly progression,,, I couldn't tell you what the limit of infinite potential is,,,,

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by neoholographic
The material brain needs a user/observer just like the remote control.

It's funny how scientist just make these huge leaps when talking about the brain. The logic goes like this:

Well, this part of the brain is active when X occurs THEREFORE this part of the brain must be responsible for X.

This makes no sense and it's a huge leap that is rooted in a materialistic belief. It's like saying because the light on my remote is active when I change the channel, therefore my remote must be responsible for changing the channel. My remote needs a user/observer and so does the material brain.

The material brain is stimulated by the 5 senses. There must be a 6th sense or a field of consciousness that stimulates the material brain.

This allows us to recall specific memories at will. The material brain doesn't know the difference between a memory from little league or a memory from College. How does the material brain know which memory I wish to recall?

How does the material brain know the difference between a fastball, curve ball and a slider? How does the material brain know which pitch I want to throw?

There has to be a use/observer that stimulates and interacts with the brain. It's impossible for the material brain to accomplish these things.

It's like pushing start on the microwave. The microwave becomes active because the user/observer not because of the microwave.

I think all things operate with this field. The human brain is just advanced enough to interact with this field.

edit on 12-8-2012 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)
World famous neurosurgeon Wilder penfield held a deep disbelief that consciousness was a product of the anatomy of the human brain but that it was coming from another source. Much like a television set the programming comes from another source.
edit on 13-8-2012 by UFOOWNER because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

What a disgusting video. It shows just how depraved science has become in its pursuit of answers it thinks it deserves.

That man should have had his license revoked. He is a vile creature with no respect for life.

This video made me ashamed to be a human being.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by aaaiii

what if one experiment like that,, led to advances in the future to potentially save millions of human lives?

throughout scientific history animal and human experiments have been done,,,,

also i dont necessarily agree with it or anything,,, im taking no sides,,, i did not do the experiment,,,, but the person who did thought of those benefits,, so thats the counter argument im presenting,, what you would call, truly playing the devils advocate
edit on 13-8-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

edit on 8/13/2012 by aaaiii because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Smack

You dont seem to realize that string theory is only a theory and not accepted as scientific fact.
It is a man made system of equations. They do not necessarily represent reality.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

Your thread has taken a turn since my earlier read, but my reply doesn’t appear to be repetitive. S&F for your curiosity, sharing your perspective, questions w/examples & courage starting the thread. I think your condescension by ‘those in the know” is undeserved. This is very general, but I used easily referenced terms.

The material brain needs a user/observer just like the remote control.

The material brain is housed within the user/observer, akin to an automobile’s PCM.

It's funny how scientist just make these huge leaps when talking about the brain. The logic goes like this:

Well, this part of the brain is active when X occurs THEREFORE this part of the brain must be responsible for X.

It's funny when scientists make huge leaps. It's also correct that regional activation correlates to a user/observer’s stimulus response; its evidenced in fMRIs.

This makes no sense and it's a huge leap that is rooted in a materialistic belief. It's like saying because the light on my remote is active when I change the channel, therefore my remote must be responsible for changing the channel. My remote needs a user/observer and so does the material brain.

It can appear simplistic; however, as you alluded, it’s really just a poor metaphor. The "remote control" metaphor would be better suited to describe an aspect of ‘magical thinking’, which is loosely defined as merely thinking or believing something makes it true.

The material brain is stimulated by the 5 senses. There must be a 6th sense or a field of consciousness that stimulates the material brain.

“The mind-body problem” or “monism vs. dualism”: dualism theorizes that the mind & physical brain are separate; monism states that the mind & physical brain are one. The semantics of ‘mind’ ranges from cognitive processes, such as, perception, emotion, and memory to states of consciousness, spirituality/belief, and intuition.

This allows us to recall specific memories at will. The material brain doesn't know the difference between a memory from little league or a memory from College. How does the material brain know which memory I wish to recall?

Prevailing knowledge states that several areas of the brain (the limbic system, prefrontal and various neocortical regions) are associated with the various types of memory…

Long-term (stored & encoded):
Procedural memories: riding a bike, throwing a baseball, tying a shoe, etc.
Emotional memories: greeted by a pet, birth of a child, death of a loved one, etc.
Declarative memories: 1) semantic or factual: statistical data, language, geography, etc. & 2) episodic or eventful: attending a college class, traveling, holidays, etc.

Short-term (synaptic & temporary) can become long-term memories, but they can also be easily forgotten because they exist w/in neurotransmission. These memories are usually rehearsed memories like telephone numbers or directions.

How does the material brain know the difference between a fastball, curve ball and a slider? How does the material brain know which pitch I want to throw?

Cognitive decisions are a part of executive functions and pitch choice would primarily be a product of the reasoning resulting from the prefrontal lobe impacted by input from the limbic region. It also depends of the age of the pitcher, as myelination and brain symmetry is usually not complete until age of 25.

There has to be a use/observer that stimulates and interacts with the brain. It's impossible for the material brain to accomplish these things.

It's like pushing start on the microwave. The microwave becomes active because the user/observer not because of the microwave.

Cognitive embodiment is a theory that examines interaction between how the physical body affects mental processes. It’s a type of chicken or egg approach: some research suggests that using vulgar language promotes a negative mood in its speaker; evidence also strongly supports heightened mood after exercise. On the other hand, are cortical levels elevated because the cognitive decision was made to use vulgar language? Likewise, are endorphins elevated because the decision was made to exercise?

I think all things operate with this field. The human brain is just advanced enough to interact with this field.

Philosophy is the foundation of psychology. Keep in mind, regardless of hard evidence, no one knows anything for certain—existing knowledge is merely a consensus of perceptual interpretation. Psychology and neuroscience are fascinating fields & this is an extremely exciting time in their evolution. I hope my blather helps you find answers & like Carl Rogers said, “The very essence of the creative is its novelty, and hence we have no standard by which to judge it.”

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies.

So far, I have only heard some people talk about the mechanics of the brain like they would the mechanics of a car or a boat.

This is because the brain is a machine. Like someone said earlier, it's a computer. It's faster than any supercomputer and we can calculate the processing power of the brain. It's about 36.8 Petaflops.

The most powerful systems in the world are ranked by the total number of “petaflops” they can achieve. A single petaflop is equal to 1 quadrillion calculations per second — or 1,000 trillion operations. By comparison, IBM researchers have estimated that a single human brain can process 36.8 petaflops of data.

IBM’s Sequoia clocked in at an astonishing 16.32 petaflops, whereas the K Computer maxes out at 10.51 petaflops. IBM said in a media advisory last year that Sequoia should top 20 petaflops by the time it is fully built-out.

www.rawstory.com...

The material brain processes information from the 5 senses and the field of transcendent consciousness. We're all connected to this singular consciousness and the supercomputer (brain) gives us these me experiences.

The brain can't recall specific memories at will. The brain doesn't know the difference between these memories. The most you can do is explain the mechanics of the brain like you can explain the mechanics of a steering wheel in a car or a disk drive on a computer.

What will eventually happen is science will duplicate this and artificial intelligence will be born. They will connect these supercomputers that can process information to a cloud. This cloud will contain intelligent algorithms. So all supercomputers will process information from their local environment and have me experiences because their connected to the cloud of intelligence. It will be the collective consciousness of artificial life.

Imagine printing a 3-D human body and replacing the brain with a supercomputer that can process information faster than the brain and it's connected to this cloud of intelligence. You will really have Robo Sapiens.

The materialist need to explain how the brain knows these things. The mechanics of the brain can't explain these things because the brain is like an advanced remote or a supercomputer. There has to be a user/observer that understands and interacts with the information the brain processes.
edit on 14-8-2012 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

" There has to be a user/observer that understands and interacts with the information the brain processes"

could it be the user/observer is built from the information it interacts with and processes? the personality and the awareness/consciousness ( which is you,, which can access the information of the brain) is the cloud you speak of that wills itself over the mechanics of the brain to command actions,, store and retrieve data,, " the ghost in the machine"

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Smack

I cannot believe the pure arrogance of this gentleman. I am not going to belittle him for perversion of anothers work rather, it is the exclusionary nature of his comments that really irk. You can tell it is not his work because all explanations must be referred to what he calls complicated technical documents. Anyone who has sufficient comprehension of a subject is able to reduce or increase its complexity at will using metaphor and the like.

George Boole and Claude Shannon must be laughing their butts off.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

We have a chicken and the egg situation here. The modern digital device (Really just calculators) and the underlying boolean algebra system have been influenced by the anatomy of biological systems read up on Boole/Shannon if you want evidence.

I have found my key and now open the gate.

edit on 14-8-2012 by usernamehere because: Embed image

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Think of consciousness as the internet, except with infinite content. Think of your brain as a logon ID to consciousness. You only discover the content you choose to uncover. Nikola Tesla thought along the same lines as the OP is eluding to. There is a vast, infinite energy field where all information comes from. That field is consciousness.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I am proud to share this planet with you OP. this common sense seems to escape mainstream science on their quest to Prove that God does not exist and that they can create a man just as perfect and complete as God did. All they can manage to do is create robot shells and forcefeed them electricity. soon they will learn that logic alone cannot create creativity.

Let us lol.. Amen

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

You are actually making a lot of sense.The brain is a tool; not a being all of it`s own. There be something else using the brain. There are so many theories as to what that `something else` is which makes us humans behave the way we do. Some people look to religion to explain it while others seek out science to explain that extra little spark inside of all of us. It is hard thing to figure out at times. I have spent, as I am sure most of us do, the majority of my life trying to discover what is the nature of conciseness and self-awareness. My definition has changed year by year as I gain more knowledge of metaphysical concepts and general wisdom from simply being alive.

I think, at this point in time, that conciseness is a combo of chemicals and electricity. There are chemicals in our body, that I learned from my days of liberal arts in college, which motivate us to do certain things. Those chemicals can learn to react and be released under certain situations without any real command from the brain or central nervous system. We also have an electric spark inside of us which drives our body forward at all levels. We need that electric spark to pretty much preform any action no matter what it is. So, I think within that process of chemicals and electricity something...unexpected happens which science cannot explain. That interaction between chemicals and electricity creates `us` or more exact `I.`

I know this sounds a little far fetched, and like I am talking out of my butthole, but consider it for a moment. I know for a fact that doctors can keep someone alive long after we stop naturally having an electric spark in our bodies. They can make our body maintain an electric spark artificially. They can also keep our organs operating though the use of advanced machines. There are plenty of people in comas or in a veggie like state in hospitals across the world. Yet, those people no longer have a conciseness. They are brain dead for all intended purposes. Take them off all the machines and they would be `dead` in a matter of minutes or hours. Without those chemicals and electricity naturally flowing though our bodies, `I` cannot function.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

But it is still the microwave that cooks the food not your little fingers that pushed the buttons.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

and again, your remote DOES change the channel. Try pushing on your palm while pointing your hand at the TV. Make the same push button motion on your palm that you would on your remote and tell me what your TV does. Now normally the remote wont operate without a user that is true but to say that the user changed the channel in only partially correct. The user did this with the remote. The user no matter how well intentioned and no matter how much they wish it will never get the TV to change channels just by pointing their hand at the tv. That would be great if it could as I seldom loose my hand but constantly loose the remote. LOL

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Thanks this is very thought provoking. When I read your post. I pictured the real me/soul/energy pressing buttons or manipulating a field of energy. I guess it's true we all are gods...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

and again, your remote DOES change the channel. Try pushing on your palm while pointing your hand at the TV. Make the same push button motion on your palm that you would on your remote and tell me what your TV does. Now normally the remote wont operate without a user that is true but to say that the user changed the channel in only partially correct. The user did this with the remote. The user no matter how well intentioned and no matter how much they wish it will never get the TV to change channels just by pointing their hand at the tv. That would be great if it could as I seldom loose my hand but constantly loose the remote. LOL

You arent thinking outside the box. We can do anything with our minds. But most of us arent relaxed enough to do it. Try living in the moment...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The known senses operate much like servo-mechanisms...feedback loops, corrections based on this data...

The brain (in concert with remembered precedents) decodes the input...

The body and brain are a bio-machine, of the highest order, which contains an operator that cannot be quantified, weighed or held to heel by any science presently known...

A99

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join