It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low Temp Drop for Montana and Wyoming on Thurs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I always use the temperature map for Canada to see what things will look like throughout the coming days. I was going through the map and this caught my eye:

Cutting through two states (Montana/Wyoming) all the way up to the border of Canada (Alberta/Saskatchewan) appears a sharp drop in temperature. While the surrounding areas are predicted to be a casual 20C (68F), give or take, this specific area appears to be predicted in the range of -1C to -10C (15F-30F), quite a significant difference in temperature. Some could say it's a glitch, but Wednesday appears to be the start of the descent.

Can anybody shed any light on this? Normal occurrence? Apologies if it is, but at a glance my first impression was that something is not right here.

Weather Maps

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Strange weather - it is August - right?
Up until 2 weeks ago we had a heat
wave in many states for over a month
and now the temps are barely in the
70's for highs and down into 50's at
night. The map shows some very cold
temps, hope people are prepared for
this to happen so early.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

This just in:
It's still hot in Texas.

That is a really weird temp map for sure. If only I could get a little of that cool air here.
August climate in Texas is just plain brutal.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I am in one of the states hit by the heat, currently our temps are more the seasonal average, but we will be dipping below that a couple of times this week, only by 10 degrees or so. Still there is something in the air has me in squirrel mode, stocking up for winter now.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I've got a video somewhere of six inches of snow we got on the 20th of August about 10 years ago. This is Montana, the only day of the year it hasn't snowed is.... um well, it's snowed on every day of the year sometime or other!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I would say its normal and that we should be having more nights like we had last thurs.

I noticed the cool weather and was out late enjoying it i even said to myself finally a normal summer night.
usually aug and sept we get at most a few weeks of high 90* weather then its a very enjoyable 80* warm with nice cool nights .
this year has been Hot high 90* humid and strong thunderstorms causing havoc with fires and wind but no rain. and not much relief at night. the weather changes here but it is a predictable change, this year has been weird breaking high temp records in many towns.

just my observations of the weather I always pay attention to the weather. the jet stream shifting last year during the gulf oil spill I think has to be partly to blame.
edit on 8/12/2012 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
N. Ga reporting in. Had air conditioner turned off for the past 2 days. 4 days ago was in the 90's, right now outside temp is 59 degrees. Usually this is a pretty hot time of the season. I like it for now...my goats love it too....

Des

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by murkraz

I'd be happy to see a day in the 70's instead of the 100's, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. At this poin't i'd be happy to see a day that was 90. So damned hot here you can't breathe outside hardly.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
]I have some links to areas known for extreme weather and early change. The areas you show are definately in them. I will post a few of the links and you can see the low temps forecast for the areas.

Snow forecast in South Valley WY

Wednesday Night A chance of rain showers before midnight, then a chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. North northwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming east northeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 50%

Thouroughfare WY

Big Sky MT

edit on 12/8/12 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Interesting.... in 1959 on august 11 we got snowed on at yellowstone lake........must of looked like that map then, huh!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I live in great falls MT...and my green house doesn't need 30f!!!!! We don't need frost? I hope this is a glitch!!!!!!!!

I'll be paying attention to this thread! Thanks

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1
I live in great falls MT...and my green house doesn't need 30f!!!!! We don't need frost? I hope this is a glitch!!!!!!!!

greenhouses lately have been too hot my chickens are laying outside right now because the heat im about 30 min south of great falls

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I've lived in Jackson Wy for over 30 years, it's south of the southern entrance to Yellowstone.... a small gap of National Forest, then it becomes Grand Teton National Park right up to the edge of town. I've seen it snow every month of the year and as we are fairly high altitude (valley floor 6200 feet, top of Grand Teton just short of 14,000 feet) and the Yellowstone Plateau is high too, at an average of 8000 feet, and we do have glaciers in our valley down here, so some cooler weather in August isn't too unusual.... we usually get our first frost in August and last one in June! It's been a hot summer (for us) with more 90's than usual but I've also never seen it hit 100, and its low humidity up here (yeah!!!). I lived in Texas for a few years, including the year that set the previous record for most days over 100 with high humidiy.... No Thanks! You can HAVE IT! When its cold, you can always put on another layer. When its hot, you can only take off so many layers! And up here, with the extra solar radiation, I've been snowshoeing at 15 degrees in my t shirt. Why people stay in the South, I'll never know! lol

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
There must be a glitch. The forecast for my area here in Billings MT is 70F for a high and 51 F for a low on Wednesday. Spotty rain is likely. Other areas West of here have roughly the same forecast but some lows going down to 45F which is pretty chilly for lowland areas but not uncommon if your above 5000 feet. There will most likely be snow in the mountains that night.

I am looking forward to the cool down and plan on mowing the lawn and tackling some weeds in my garden. May not be common weather for Montana but ya never know.

edit on 8/13/2012 by restlessinMT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I'm in Bozeman and the weekly weather forcaste in the local paper predicts for temps in the 70s and sunny ...

Odd.

Must have been some sort of glitch as the above poster suggested.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Are they showing the temps in celsius??
Temps at my home in the USA will be 27* CELSIUS on Thursday.
Lol

edit on 13-8-2012 by WildWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Ha! I'm in Montana, and it's been so hot I just set up our pool. Looks like it's time to deflate it and get the snow boots out.

As long as I have lived here, I have never seen it that cold in Aug. I have however, seen snow in mid-June.

For my area, this has been the stormiest summer. We have seen more rain, thunder, lightning and wind than usual.

For the past few summers, we probably get one or two storms for the entire summer, with mild winds. The rains usually do not come until October.

Our summers are relatively short!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1

I think it is a mistake. I checked and we are supposed to see highs around 75 that day. I'm not too far away from Great Falls either.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Nice and cool here in GA right now. Woke up and was actually a bit chilly this morning. Lived in Montana myself back in '95 and I remember it clearly being very cold and snowing in August there. The reason I remember it so well is because I had just moved there from Atlanta and it was hard to believe the difference in temperature but it was always nice and cool in MT.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by murkraz
I always use the temperature map for Canada to see what things will look like throughout the coming days. I was going through the map and this caught my eye:

Cutting through two states (Montana/Wyoming) all the way up to the border of Canada (Alberta/Saskatchewan) appears a sharp drop in temperature. While the surrounding areas are predicted to be a casual 20C (68F), give or take, this specific area appears to be predicted in the range of -1C to -10C (15F-30F), quite a significant difference in temperature. Some could say it's a glitch, but Wednesday appears to be the start of the descent.

Can anybody shed any light on this? Normal occurrence? Apologies if it is, but at a glance my first impression was that something is not right here.

Weather Maps

Alberta and Saskatchewan have very unpredictable temperatures. I happen to drive once in those provinces at the end of August and was snowing. That was just few years back. Nothing unusual. Its prairies, weather can change at any moment from good to worst and vice versa.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join