It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Open' Call For Ideas On Future Debates?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
If it's open, why can't us 'normies' suggest a thing? Vote for anything? Are debaters better than the rest of us? Is it any wonder why the debate forum is so unpopular? Shoot you've essentially got a member running it. Why not open it up? Sure official debates should be locked up, but the whole forum? What's the point? I don't even know who to suck up to in order to be involved.
edit on 12-8-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Debate on the 2012 subject (quite important because its in 5 months)
but very seriously by people who know the stars and a few prophecy
with no troll in it derailing the debate saying nothing will happen
how can people know nothing will happen .. its in 5 months
nobody can see the futur .. but many ancient civilisations did know something
open minded people reunited can come close to the truth
compare to close minded people that cant look further then their noses
edit on 8/12/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Well, since you've read the thread, you must have skipped over this part

Please be aware that you must be awarded "fighter" status to post in the debate forum. Just u2u me and you will get it, but you will have to actually participate in a debate to keep it.

So right there tells you who to "suck up to"

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Well you and I can't suggest that or debate it because we don't have the super special privilege. I'm just a lowly normal poster. I can't write a story or debate. It's reserved for others.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I don't even know who to suck up to in order to be involved.
edit on 12-8-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

Thats hilarious
Usually you have to suck up to Heff ( with bacon offering) and he will suck up to Nef or someone.

Seriously, Id really enjoy the debates thing. I just am usually so scattered multitasking I dont even keep up with my own threads.. yes I know, a mortal ATS sin.
If someone will yank me over to that area, Id debate. I just hope its something I know about because my googling fingers are getting old and slowing down a bit.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
reply to post by Domo1

Well, since you've read the thread, you must have skipped over this part

Please be aware that you must be awarded "fighter" status to post in the debate forum. Just u2u me and you will get it, but you will have to actually participate in a debate to keep it.

So right there tells you who to "suck up to"

And you don't think that's asinine? You have to get a little fighter symbol from a mod and then maintain it? I can't be a part of a discussion that I can view? Am I not a member? My opinion is worthless? It's silly.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

if you wish to be involved in the debate forum, which has very strict debating rules that must be abided, you message Vagabond and he will award you fighter status, which opens up to the ability to involve yourself in that forum....

However, currently Vagabond is on hiatus, and I do not know who should be messaged in his absense...

hopefully one of the mods will tell you...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

No, I don't think it's asinine. No one is stopping you from joining it on it. I don't see the need to try to make a scene over it.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Its because a debate has rules... just like debate teams or on one debate in college.... its not an open discussion in other words, but a debate... this is why it is not open
edit on 12-8-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I want the Writer Fighter Master Puncher label
do i need to debate in a certain way to be that ?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

you get writer status by winning one of the short story contests in the short story forum...

www.abovetopsecret.com... that is the current contest going on... if you write something and win,(in the top three) you win by how many flags you get on your story thread, you get writer status.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

What scene? The last two debates Ive seen were ridiculous. Is the second coming of Jesus happening soon? Are there aliens at Area 51? Its a mismanaged elitist board. Do my farts smell bad? Debate me. The last debate I looked at had about 5 flags. Its a joke.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

No, just ask a mod that isnt here.

Next debate should be is the debate forum trying to be elitist and unpopular.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
How about moon hoaxers and moon 'truthers'?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

reply to post by Ben81

No, just ask a mod that isnt here.

Next debate should be is the debate forum trying to be elitist and unpopular.

I'll set that up and debate you on it.

Seriously, the debate forum isactually gaining in popularity agan because a structured argument is more enjoyable that the hate-fest spam contest seen on some of the boards.

Standard arguments are currently being employed because we're getting our feet wet (as it were) in the formal debate style.

It's a haven for those that want to prove something without the distraction that an open forum has.

Try giving Intrepid a shout. The more people in the debate forum, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm currently judging right now because Vagabond has some real life suff going on and the rest of us didn't want to see the forum die.

Join us, Luke.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But why make it some exclusive club? Especially when advertising that there is an 'open call'? I actually used to like the debates, WAY back in the day.

So I can't even offer up an opinion on future debates? I can see them, but can't have an opinion? Meh. I like you Beezer. You're good people, I'm surprised you agree with the current system. Of course I think in a debate other posters should be locked out until the end, but I would like to say good job, or I never thought of it that way after the debate were finished.

It's not my site. I appreciate this place. I really disagree with the current system. If all you have to do is ask, then why should we even have to?

You're good people and I'll always owe you for that thing you did to save me when that guy tried to do that thing in that place. Secret agent mammals!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

But why make it some exclusive club? Especially when advertising that there is an 'open call'? I actually used to like the debates, WAY back in the day.

So I can't even offer up an opinion on future debates? I can see them, but can't have an opinion? Meh. I like you Beezer. You're good people, I'm surprised you agree with the current system. Of course I think in a debate other posters should be locked out until the end, but I would like to say good job, or I never thought of it that way after the debate were finished.

It's not my site. I appreciate this place. I really disagree with the current system. If all you have to do is ask, then why should we even have to?

You're good people and I'll always owe you for that thing you did to save me when that guy tried to do that thing in that place. Secret agent mammals!

But it isn't exclusive. It's a place for more seasoned members, is all. Want in? You got it! I'd like to see more people in, all you have to do is ask. No blood tests (anymore) and the bungie jump requirement has been waived.

The reason to ask, is that it does (like RATS) require a certain level of maturity (lord knows why I'm in) and a history that can only be obtained through time on the boards.

Just look at the fiasco of the 9/11 threads and the issues that arose from that!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So what's the cut off? Number of posts? Time as a member? Star to post ratio? Flag to post ratio? Not breaking the rules and talking about something outside of something? Naughty beezer. You broke a rule!

I get you but why not make it like that thing that you weren't supposed to mention. After a certain amount of time or posts, you get in?

I just think you fighters are missing out on a lot of good feedback.

Who wants to be involved when they feel unwanted? Shoot the only reason I even check in is to see you post.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I don't know enough about the debates....but if they're head to head...why don't you have the opening statement as the only place to receive stars...then the 1st person to a determined amount of stars, is the winner. And if the debate involves more than 2 people; let's say 4; set it up the same way, as head to head...and the 1st 2 with the determined amount of stars, moves on to the next round. Voting can either be done by staff or by readers.
edit on 13-8-2012 by SpittinTruth because: off topic

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

So what's the cut off? Number of posts? Time as a member? Star to post ratio? Flag to post ratio? Not breaking the rules and talking about something outside of something? Naughty beezer. You broke a rule!

I get you but why not make it like that thing that you weren't supposed to mention. After a certain amount of time or posts, you get in?

I just think you fighters are missing out on a lot of good feedback.

Who wants to be involved when they feel unwanted? Shoot the only reason I even check in is to see you post.

Take my debate for example. It was on Occupy vs Tea Party. It wasn't about popularity or gaining attention so much as it was a clear, concise format for getting my point across. I lost. (XPloDER did a great job) But it wasn't for the feedback. It was a battle of wits. (I was only half-armed)

The cutoff isn't too bad. I think it's 200 posts or something like that. And it's not automatic because there are many that don't want to debate. There are those that actally refuse to debate. I know, because I've asked others for debate.

The debate forum strips you naked. You have limited time, limited sources, and the only thing you have is intellect for your defense. It's not a group or social exercise, it's more of an individual pursuit.

The more people we get (and I hope more want in) the more issues you'll see explored.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join