It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Ryan channels philosopher John Locke

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
if you can't get behind this statement, you must not be human.

“But America is more than just a place…it’s an idea. It’s the only country founded on an idea. Our rights come from nature and God, not government. We promise equal opportunity, not equal outcomes. This idea is founded on the principles of liberty, freedom, free enterprise, self-determination and government by consent of the governed.”
----Paul Ryan

link to video
edit on 12-8-2012 by bjax9er because: add

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

It's just words man. Anybody can say cool stuff like that.

It doesn't change the fact that Paul Ryan is a Neo-Con to the core.

Plus, he's running next to Mitt Romney who only recently became a Conservative in 2006 and enjoys crappin' on the common folk.

The only redeeming factor about Paul Ryan, is that he realizes that we can't go on with this lifestyle based on endless growth. He is one of the only Congressmen who has hinted at the fact that we will soon be living in austere conditions and he wants to try and soften the blow.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

Paul Ryan is a big fake. He pretends to advocate for small government, yet he voted for the Patriot Act and TARP. The Romney Ryan ticket should and I think will be remembered as the most disingenuous, out of touch ticket in American history. Obama must be elated.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
We've heard the pretty words and speeches from Obama. We've heard them from Mittens. Hell...we've heard them from most every politician we have ever been blessed/cursed enough to see/have/hear.

I am ready to see THE WALK. I am tired of the talk and if the next person can't walk the walk I feel like I might just cry for the next 4 years I swear.

Words mean naught really. They tell you whatever will gain them more votes. I hope somebody can make an appearance with less BS and more action. Paul might be the guy...or not. I have no clue. But I am done with being courted with flowery promises, ideals, etc.
edit on 8/12/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Sounds like you are behind the wrong Paul ,if you look at the actual voting records versus talk..

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjax9er

This is all I got to say to this...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
has anyone heard obama say that are rights come from nature and god,not government?

i have not. and he is not going to.

in fact thats the first i have ever heard a politician say that.

think what you want about him, i'am just pointing it out.
edit on 12-8-2012 by bjax9er because: add

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

You can't go by what they say, especially politicians. It meaningless, Their voting record is the only thing that matters and the only way to see where they truly stand on the issues.

Mitt Romney , Obama, and Paul Ryans words are not in sync with their voting records or party.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

It's good to point it out and I hope my post didn't make it sound like it wasn't. I watch all I can on all the candidates and appreciate every other bit of information I can get as well. I guess I am like most and am very tired of the empty promises. I like what Ryan said...but am wary with them all. It's sad that it has come to that for most folks. I S&F when i posted because I did appreciate the info. I hope people keep posting this "extra" stuff until the election. We need all the info we can get on everybody so hopefully we can take a right step in the right direction.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

Here's Paul Ryans voting record...........

votesmart.org...

Smaller government conservative? I don't think so! A Bush era neocon is more like it. With a touch of Theofacism thrown in for spice.

The DNC must be so happy.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
reply to post by bjax9er

Here's Paul Ryans voting record...........

votesmart.org...

Smaller government conservative? I don't think so! A Bush era neocon is more like it. With a touch of Theofacism thrown in for spice.

The DNC must be so happy.

maybe, but joe "the dumbest vice president ever" biden, has come down with a bad case of the hershey squirts, after realizing he has to debate paul ryan.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Wasn't that line in The Gladiator? Except it was "Rome is an idea".

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOMof3
Wasn't that line in The Gladiator? Except it was "Rome is an idea".

i don't know.
have not seen that one in awhile.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Originally posted by bjax9er

This is all I got to say to this...

LOL, but I think he OP is referring to this John Locke? Perhaps that is where "Lost," got the idea for the character.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

I'm Curious if you have any internal conflicts with supporting a Romney/Ryan ticket as you signature quote says

Give me Liberty or Give me Death

Knowing that both Romney/Ryan support NDAA and the Patriot Act which is very much anti liberty rights, one would have to assume if they were elected they would give you Death?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by interupt42
reply to post by bjax9er

I'm Curious if you have any internal conflicts with supporting a Romney/Ryan ticket as you signature quote says

Give me Liberty or Give me Death

Knowing that both Romney/Ryan support NDAA and the Patriot Act which is very much anti liberty rights, one would have to assume if they were elected they would give you Death?

obama signed both of these into law.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
If we are to ignore a politician's words, as several posters have suggested, then all that is left is to look at their actions. Rather than go into details here, what do we see when we look at the government's actions in the last four years? Are we in awe, lost in admiration over the improvement in our foreign relations, economy, military strength, the vast increase in individual freedoms, our new energy policy, the behavior of the various departments like Justice and Homeland Security, the restoration of better race relations? Perhaps it's worth considering.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kimar

Paul Ryan is a big fake. He pretends to advocate for small government, yet he voted for the Patriot Act and TARP. The Romney Ryan ticket should and I think will be remembered as the most disingenuous, out of touch ticket in American history. Obama must be elated.

Thats what im saying. Check his voting record, finances, tax returns, who funded his entrance into politics,who does he hang out with, religious beliefs, and what fraternity he was part of.

Eventually you'll find dirt, or at least the good ol boys club.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
reply to post by kimar

Thats what im saying. Check his voting record, finances, tax returns, who funded his entrance into politics,who does he hang out with, religious beliefs, and what fraternity he was part of.

Eventually you'll find dirt, or at least the good ol boys club.

yeaah, but don't bother vetting obama, not even four years later.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bjax9er

I can't get behind this statement because it is full of buzzwords and pandering to the freedom-loving segment of the GOP.

This is not the America of John Locke's time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join