It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You might be a HERO if.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
You might be a Hero if you are both a true warrior and a "good samaritan".

You might be a Hero if you are in the military but not if you kill an unarmed civilian.
You might be a Hero if you are a police officer but not if you refuse to help if asked for directions.
You might be a Hero if you champion your favorite team but not if you assault an opposing fan.

You might be a Hero if you exercise the highest standards and believe in the act of self sacrifice.
Are you a hero and do you know of any heroes or do you have a hero? Care to share any stories....?
edit on 12-8-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-8-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Yeah , the word Hero isn`t thrown around like there`s no tomorrow

Same as the title - Sir - you used to have to EARN that title , know you can get knighted for riding a bike , or singing a song , oh how fabulous

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
In America, you are a hero if you can at least afford to pay the electric bill every month any more...

Yea.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RockLobster

A lot of those in law enforcement and the military are treated as if they are Heroes by default of their position but that is not so (we all know examples of abuse of authority where that is not the case). It is a designation that must be earned by putting yourself at risk to save another (especially if that person is not known to you). For true heroes it comes without a second thought - it is a reflexive action. That action needs to be done and the hero does it (a la "Nike").

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

Well you might be a Hero if you pay someone else's electric bill or offer to pay their bill at the checkout at the grocery store or Walmart.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Watch out for people who make heros out of people .
If they choose you - you could be being set up for a fall from grace - a long one

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
YOURE A HERO IF:
When you save someone's life when you come up on a car wreck.. and then they try to sue you, you dont go on a Biotch-Slapping rampage....

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

the Heroic Ideal is one of the pillars of Western Culture

as rocklobster points out in these decadent times of the Fall

hero has become a dirty word to some

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

The Hero Archetype written about in the classics and explained by others such as Joseph Campbell is truly a cultural ideal. My dad is my hero. A member of "The Greatest Generation" who volunteered for the army after high school (at the time of D Day) and ended up going to West Point (multiple letters in athletics as well as Company Captain). Decorated with every medal (ie Distinguished Service Cross, Silver and Bronze Stars with oak leave clusters) except the Congressional Medal of Honor (which is usually awarded post humously)....including the French Croix de Guerre (Vietnam) and Distinguished Flying Cross (infantry but for commandeering a rescue with his command helicopter).

One brief story he shared with me: he was in his chopper with some other brass and they saw what appeared to be a viet cong who submerged in a stream and the kid came up on my dad's side and they yelled "shoot him!" but the kid was about my age (15 at the time) and unarmed and he said his gun jammed (not wanting to kill an unarmed kid). Later on his tour (battalion commander; ltc) his chopper was picking him up along with some other men and the pilot said "Col. we are pretty full why dont you wait for the next chopper?" Usually you dont make a Battalion Commander sit out when there are lots of others of lesser rank who could give up their seat but the pilot did and my dad did not get on. That chopper was shot down and all aboard died when it crashed. Karma or what?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

You might be a HERO if.

You watch more TV and dream.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

Nothing wrong with "dreaming" but heroism is about "doing" (ie, taking the right action at the right time).

new topics

top topics

join