It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City says woman can't give free water to people in 112 degree weather......

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Janadele

A motive could be politicizing an agenda of some sort. It could also be that a legitimate problem has been reported in a very emotional way to help some local news outlet, or blog, with traffic. There are all kinds of reasons - not the least of which is that this is the Internet and there are folks out there who will say anything if it gets them attention and traffic to their site.

I'm not stating any of the above to be directed at this one story... Just an "in general" overview of western media.

reply to post by DarknStormy

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Yeah true, but at the same time, is it really something they want painted all over the media? It is a ridiculous law to start with and it really wouldn't do any of the accused any favours...

I cannot speak for any other place then where I live... but our local news thrives on these stories. In fact two of our local news stations have recently switched over their formats to include much less national news and far more stories just like this one.

If this happened in Atlanta... It would be the top news story for at least three our four days locally.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

America sounds like a really # place to live.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I don't know if this counts as a non WND link as the page seems to cite WND, but a Phoenix radio station website is showing the "story" as well.

www.kfyi.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Nemo418

Unfortunately that story also lists WND as its source as well. That's how it happens... like meme news. Not saying the story isn't true... I'd just love to see a local paper or TV station covering it. Not only does it help validate the story but it would also mean an ongoing coverage and more info.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Dear Hefficide,

I think you've made your point about local news coverage quite clear. How do you see the three page .pdf letter from the Rutherford Institute that was referenced a few pages back?

Do you see it as a photoshop fraud, or based on false information, or a publicity ploy for the Institute? Just curious.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
its not bad enough that they charge you for water now days but then to do that to a person who wishes to give.
it looks to me like they need more training than just first amendment rights

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

charles1952,

I did indeed read the article on the Rutherford Institute site - which is sourced from another site called Christian News.net

My concern is really that no local news seems interested in a story that would be sure to garner viewer interest and ratings. The media are insatiable for stories like this and I find it odd that they're staying away from this one. This is a red flag for me personally.

As I said earlier... Should this be an accurate and true story - then it is reprehensible. I just want to have all of the information that I can get before coming to conclusions. As a general rule I tend to want counter points when dealing with any source that might have bias - right or left.

~Heff
edit on 8/13/12 by Hefficide because: grammar

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
If a law is not just and good then that law should be ignored....

We need to stop listening to these fools who tell us what we can and cannot do. Everyone should of been out in the street giving out water the next day!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

charles1952,

I did indeed read the article on the Rutherford Institute site - which is sourced from another site called Christian News.net

My concern is really that no local news seems interested in a story that would be sure to garner viewer interest and ratings. The media are insatiable for stories like this and I find it odd that they're staying away from this one. This is a red flag for me personally.

~Heff
edit on 8/13/12 by Hefficide because: grammar

As you can see on the Christian News story, it was posted before the WND story. The only strange thing I notice is on her public FB page; the story was the first thing she posted in months (July 18). She seemed to stop making posts around November of last year. Perhaps she gave up on social networking and then this happened to her.

On the "no local news" thing. News is not news unless it moves papers and what not. What will happen is that the local talk stations will push the story (they've already started linking to the WND story). Their listeners will get outraged and will call the local politicians and mainstream news media. Then the story will (hopefully) get Its proper vetting.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Well, this is just detestable. Who are they to say someone can't freely give their own property (water bottles in this case) to anyone they so choose to GIVE it to? I don't see why a vendors permit or peddlers permit of any kind should apply if there was no exchange of any kind but the item was given freely. No sales, evil profit issues to go tax or anything to track. So why should a citizen require any permit to do it?

Now, as far as blaming Arizona, that's just silly. Arizona isn't a foreign nation, and I have friends down there. I drove across the state for years. They are good people. They also aren't the only ones with complete buffoons for politicians to suffer under.

Here is Louisiana....err.. Yeah, this one was about as profit driven as anyone could ask for.

Church ordered to stop giving water at Mardi Gras

I wouldn't want those good folks in the Northeast to feel left out either.

Philadelphia Mayor Nutter orders halt outdoor feeding
(You folks up there actually elected a man named Nutter? oh.. umm.. nvm)

It all seems to boil down to the same thing in the end. Private Citizens or even groups of them, freely choosing to give what they own to other private citizens with nothing being asked for or given in return. Permits should simply have no place here, in my humble opinion.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
That was just uncalled for! Hot people are thirsty people!

Every year at my hometown's homecoming football game parade there are always church groups pulling wagons and driving golf carts up and down Main Street giving people free bottles of cold water. I think it's awesome because not everyone cannot afford to purchases cold drinks and would be dying of thirst in the heat without that free bottled water!

I'm glad the officials have to appologize and learn about our constitutional freedoms!

What happens when some psycho decides to poison the water before giving it away.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers
reply to post by snarky412

America sounds like a really # place to live.

Good, we're not leaving the lights on for you tonight !

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by HistoryFan
its not bad enough that they charge you for water now days but then to do that to a person who wishes to give.
it looks to me like they need more training than just first amendment rights

When was water ever free? I dont mean take your pail and go to the well. I mean water that comes from the tap and is delivered fresh and clean right to your home. Water was never free.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Dear Hefficide,

Sorry to sound like such a jerk, but I'm so confused and frustrated that I'm running around in circles and banging my head into walls (and I can't afford the repairs).

We're missing each other badly. Please let me try again. Assume for a moment that there is no source in the world. Then, you are told by a strange passerby that The Rutherford Institute website has a letter they claim to have mailed to the city dealing with this question. You decide to investigate. It's there, it's in .pdf format, on what appears to be their stationery.

You don't have to have any source to get there. Not Rabid Christian Loony Blog, not Crazy Iranian Terrorist TV. This is an originial document. It is the source. It seems you're looking backwards and invalidating the source because of some of the sites that report on it.

You've got a source document, it appears to be original and on their website, what's the problem with it?

If I said I had an alien body, here in my garage, right next to you, would you want to look at the body or ignore it because it was discussed somewhere that wasn't reliable?

I must be misunderstanding you wildly because this one of the wierdest trips ATS has taken me on.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

In the case you've just proposed:

I would have a letter from the Rutherford Institute that made a claim. I would then seek to begin substantiating that claim. I would not take the letter at face value. For me the letter would just be an indication to begin researching the situation so that I could ascertain all of the relevant facts from all sides of the issue.

Then, once I had enough information, I'd begin to draw personal conclusions. Here we just have one side of a story. There might be more to it. This is why I sought local sources... To add to the information pool.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Dear Hefficide,

Thank you very much for your patience and kind answer. While I may not agree with you entirely, for the most part I do. More important for me is the fact I can stop running into walls, and go rest my head. Thanks.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'm glad that everything worked out okay for this lovely, charitable lady.

Speaking of stupid laws, I read in my local newspaper the other day that a resident was arrested for...vomiting!! I am serious. It's now a crime to get ill? "We" can wait and hold that vomitus in until we find a more appropriate spot to 'let go"? It's been my sad experience that vomitus will come when it darn well wants to, invited or not!!! I know if it had been me getting arrested, I'd be 'fighting it". I hope the person charged fights it, as well.
Btw, the paper did not say with what crime the person was charged.

More and more frequently, I feel like I'm a resident of the Twilight Zone...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
This was most done likely because some one in the area was loosing sales of liquids in their mind!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Originally posted by littled16
That was just uncalled for! Hot people are thirsty people!

Every year at my hometown's homecoming football game parade there are always church groups pulling wagons and driving golf carts up and down Main Street giving people free bottles of cold water. I think it's awesome because not everyone cannot afford to purchases cold drinks and would be dying of thirst in the heat without that free bottled water!

I'm glad the officials have to appologize and learn about our constitutional freedoms!

What happens when some psycho decides to poison the water before giving it away.

It could possibly happen, but if you ever read the yearly water quality analysis of your city water supply you would be far more afraid to drink city water than bottled water from church people.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Habit4ming

Btw, the paper did not say with what crime the person was charged.
Littering? (Hey! My very first one-word post, ooops, I've kind of spoiled it haven't I. Wait Stop typing stop right now AGGGGGHHHH!)

edit on 13-8-2012 by charles1952 because: brackets

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join