It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City says woman can't give free water to people in 112 degree weather......

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
CITY SAYS CHRISTIANS CAN'T GIVE WATER TO THIRSTY

Once again, this takes place in Arizona and on a day where the temperature reached 112 degrees. The case developed in July during a “First Friday” festival when Dana Crow-Smith was giving “free bottles of cold water to passersby” on the public sidewalk “as a means of exercising her Christian beliefs.”

She “was moved” to offer the refreshment “to people at the festival who were braving the desert’s scorching 112-degree heat,” said the letter to city attorney Gary Verburg.

“According to Ms. Crow-Smith, her group was approached by Neighborhood Preservation Inspector Dwayne Grierson, who told them that they were violating the Phoenix City Code by giving away water without a vendor’s permit,” the letter explains. In fact, Grierson insisted that giving water away was “prohibited.”

The ban, however, violates several significant precedents, such as the First Amendment to the United States Constitution and Arizona’s Freedom of Religious Exercise Act, Rutherford officials wrote.

According to a letter to the city from the Rutherford Institute, Rutherford’s president, John W. Whitehead, said in the letter the city’s actions are problematic, as they “not only violated Ms. Crow-Smith’s statutory and First Amendment rights to freely exercise her religion and Fourteenth Amendment due process rights,” they also were “unjustified under the city code itself.

“As these provisions are expressly limited to the sale of goods, they clearly do not apply to Ms. Crow-Smith’s act of giving away water. Thus, Inspector Grierson’s actions constitute a completely unjustified interference with an act of charity by a private citizen and a violation of Ms. Crow-Smith’s right to be free from interference with her fundamental liberty interests absent due process of law under the Fourteenth Amendment.”

A resolution includes that the woman is supposed to receive a written apology, written assurance that the city will no longer interfere with such acts of charity and training for city officials so they understand the First Amendment.

www.wnd.com...

It is a sad day when a person, who thinks of others by giving them cold water on a very hot day, is persecuted for a charitable act of kindness. And her religious faith should have no bearing what so ever.

ETA: Did quick search and didn't see this. Please remove if already posted......

ETA: Added new link to story......

edit on 12-8-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-8-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
what a load of rubbish... theyd have to arrest me as would do the same thing ... lives take precedence over idiotic laws by useless politicians.... its a very sad state when people are threatened with legal action for helping their fellow human beings...

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Ironically, It is against the law for an business establishment to refuse a request for water in Arizona.

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
She was taking away the profit that could have been made when those dying of thirst were forced to PURCHASE water.

YOU MUST NOT STEAL OUR PROFITS!!!!

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I hate people like this. I really do. Glorified Mall Cop working for the City thinking he's a big shot. If there was ever a citizens uprising, these jerks would be the first to get their .......... oh, I'm sorry. Um, good thread and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
That was just uncalled for! Hot people are thirsty people!

Every year at my hometown's homecoming football game parade there are always church groups pulling wagons and driving golf carts up and down Main Street giving people free bottles of cold water. I think it's awesome because not everyone cannot afford to purchases cold drinks and would be dying of thirst in the heat without that free bottled water!

I'm glad the officials have to appologize and learn about our constitutional freedoms!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
More example of the death of common sense in the U.S. The woman deserved praise, not BS hassle.
arghhh

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
She was taking away the profit that could have been made when those dying of thirst were forced to PURCHASE water.

YOU MUST NOT STEAL OUR PROFITS!!!!

Yeah, as bad as the economy is, some vendors want to sell a bottle of water for $3-$4 .......

She took her money and bought the water to give away for free..... amazing !!!

But yeah, I bet the vendors were not happy.... but they still had soda.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

You stated exactly what hit my brain after reading what the OP posted....

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Did anybody see the source?

WND?

I'd be hard pressed to believe anything they say, unless an alternate source can be found with the same information. Usually there isn't.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Reason why I don't follow all laws,It's a citizens duty to un-abide unlawful laws,

The Constitution

link   
reply to post by snarky412

wait wait wait! As a gas station clerk(in AZ) I am required to give people water if they ask for it...................I do not have a vendors license. We arent selling it, it's not in a company labeled cup, its in a styrofoam cup how is this any bit different?
edit on 12-8-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

link   
Vending implies the act of Selling NOT Giving. Methinks the City Sucks an empty bottle on that one.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
"I wouldn't give water to a thirsty man"

Can't remember who said it but for someone that wants to give a drink of water to a thirsty man/woman/child and to be told she can't should be criminal on the State's part.

How can someone refuse a drink of water? Even people in the desert share water.

Nuts.

Peace

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

I think you're being a little hard on mall cops with that comparison.

I kinda get the vendor license sometimes, can't have people running around handing out poo tainted food. At the same time, come the f on, it's water.

If this was sealed bottled water (I'm such a d bag for not reading the link or much of the OP) what's the difference between taking this water or having a friend hand you an extra from their backpack? What's that? Nothing?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
At least it wasn't "RAINWATER" Or she might have been given 2 citations!! Oi Vey.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Screw your profits! Your the type of person that would complain about public water fountains because they would be quenching the thirsts of people in the area keeping you from draining our wallets on a over priced .20 cent bottle of water that you would mark up to $2.00 .

It's nice to know that there are genuine human beings out there that feel fortunate enough to take the time out of their day and break the stupid law that some f--ked up lobbyist pushed. This is one of too many very stupid laws that our elected in humane politicians pass regularly.

Our Government Realy Sucks Now Days!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

WND?

I'd be hard pressed to believe anything they say, unless an alternate source can be found with the same information. Usually there isn't.

~Tenth

How about this link:

www.rutherford.org

Being as they are the party involved in defending the lady, hope this source is okay.......

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

WND?

~Tenth

Expanding your horizons is good for personal growth.

There are times when things are not reported on in the mainstream because it doesn't advance a preconceived notion or agenda.

Hope you learn from this and it makes you become a better person.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
If this story is valid - then it's a perfect example of governmental abuse and should cause an outrage. Unfortunately I've Googled it every way till Sunday and cannot verify it locally in any Phoenix news source. So I remain skeptical.

~Heff

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join