Missouri ‘Right To Pray’ Amendment Will Allow Creationists To Refuse To Study Evolution

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GR1ill3d

".....why matter is attracted to other matter....."
Because I theorize, when it comes to gravity. That one is in the others way of falling. I can't prove this as of yet. I am waiting for my Government grant approval. But I will keep the world posted on my findings.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by Witness2008
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Public schools don't teach science...they don't really teach anything. Public schools are used for programming out any individual thought. I'll trust parents as to the best way to program their children. Science is a huge joke played out on us anyway. Religion is less dangerous to our health.

Arrant nonsense

Science has likely given you a life expectancy of 70 or more years, your children are almost certainly not going to die of measles or mumps, you have access to a vast amount of energy to pursue your life with, and none of that was given to you by religion.

Religious beliefs, of various persuasions, would have you refusing blood transfusions, vaccines, denying set theory, having no life of your own if you are a woman, kidnapping children from "same sex" famlies to "save" them, and generally being closed minded and intolerant of everything except your own particular imaginary friend and what it is you think he/she/it actually meant when someone wrote some words hundreds of thousands of years ago that have been repeatedly translated to suit some political purpose or other

Not arrant at all. It's too bad that individuality and opinion around ATS deserve insults.

Folks were living into their seventies long before western medicine took claim to an achievement that does not belong to them. Sanitation and healthy diet have saved more lives than science.

I have lived in the realms of organized religion, the more extreme of it, and as much as I disagree with the teachings, I support their individual freedom to choose.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I don't understand why creationists can't just incorporate it into their religion like they've had to do with many other scientific discoveries. Catholics don't still insist that we live in the center of the universe because it was eventually proven. The church no longer believes that sickness is caused by demons because it was eventually proven.

Evolution is a bit sketchy because, on one hand, you have evidence that proves that evolution does take place but, on the other hand, the extreme theories that evolution tries to explain aren't exactly provable. Yes, humanity evolves. That's proven. Did humanity come from a primordial soup? Nobody really knows that. The problem is that it is all just taught as fact instead of "this part is fact and this part is theory".

It's one change that the church probably can't reinterpret their scriptures to fit into their religion. But really, though... there's no reason to teach evolution beyond the fact that it happens and not to use it to try to explain our origins. As of today, there is no proof of our origins being either from sludge or from a god. For all we know, people popped out of that big bang with fully pressed dinner jackets.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

We all pay taxes. Why is both theories/Ideas not taught?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with this. You have every right to go through life a complete dumbass. The thing that irks me the most is that so many who are not religious study religion, accept that it has been a HUGE part of our history on this planet etc. Why can't you just shut up and study this and not believe it? Is it going to hurt you? Are you scared because it may spur you to question your beliefs?

BAH! BAH I say!

OK I might have a slight problem with it.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

This can be said of and for, both sides of the issue.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by murphy22

Because one has evidence to support it, the other does not.

1+1 =2 right?

Well my book says 1+1=5 My faith in my book says its true, and let me explain to you why 1+1 =/=2. "*Insert mis-quoted text here* *some outright lie here* *throw in some mistakes that were made by the scientific community here (that were corrected)* And bang you have your self a bunch of people that will swear up and down that 1+1=5 no matter how much actual evidence your bring to the table saying 1+1 =2.

That's about as basic as I can make it for anyone that still thinks evolution is just some cock-a-mamey theory put into text book by those evil evolutionists.

What creationist seem to think is evolution is saying there is no god, that is not true one bit. They are simply saying that Evolution takes place, we've seen it in labs and in the wild, here's the evidence. The only thing creationist mange to do is try and crack holes in the evolutionary theory. Yet they have never provided a shred of evidence supporting the creationist "View" ( I say view because it's not a theory). Its like trying to convict a murderer to life in prison by pointing a finger at a random person saying "that person killed her!"

When the case goes to court the jury, the defense attorney, and the judge will want evidence. Without that you have no case and you would probably be sent to jail for wasting the courts time.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

I have lived in the realms of organized religion, the more extreme of it, and as much as I disagree with the teachings, I support their individual freedom to choose.

I too support that right, but I do not support using a public service to teach something to my kid that has no real evidence. If I want to teach him the creationist view of things I will, but I will not stand by when young minds are being taught an outright lie.

Me: "So what did you learn in history class today timmy?"
Timmy: "That Hitler was a great man who helped millions of people around the world, he liberated poland and made a utopia for the jewish people in the 1940's"

Me: @_@...../facepalm.

edit on 8/12/1212 by GR1ill3d because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Neither can be proved. One is scientific speculation, the other is religious speculation.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

You are in error if that is how you feel creation is taught.
I would like to know how "we see evolution in the labs"? Doesn't it take "millions of years?
Or is it something that is hurried along with outside help before lunch break? How many fish have grown legs in a lab over the work week?
One thing science proves is that there is an order to things. How did this happen?
edit on 12-8-2012 by murphy22 because: spelling errors

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Neither can be proved. One is scientific speculation, the other is religious speculation.

Evolution is a proven fact it happens it has stood up to the scrutiny of many scientists and more then 1 field of science like paleontology and biography point to the same conclusion there are other fields that point that way as well but i won't get into all that. Creation is purely speculative and nothing else, It has no physical evidence to back it up, it cannot stand up to scientific scrutiny and further more, none of the religions that teach it cannot agree on which "God" did it, They all come to different conclusions.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

You are in error if that is how you feel creation is taught.
I would like to know how "we see evolution in the labs"? Doesn't it take "millions of years?
Or is it something that is hurried along with outside help before lunch break? How many fish have grown legs in a lab over the work week?
One thing science proves is that there is an order to things. How did this happen?
edit on 12-8-2012 by murphy22 because: spelling errors

Evolution in labs? Ever wondered how medicines and vaccines are developed? How we have GM foods from plants that were spliced together to make a stronger more fruitful harvest? If Evolution wasn't true these things would not work, yet they do. and most of it is based on how evolution works, you know that crazy theory that hasn't been proven yet?

On the question on how did all this happen? I don't know, I couldn't tell you that and at the present time no one else on this planet can either, there's hypothesis' and speculation and that's about it. But scientists worldwide are working on it.

Also you have yet to bring any evidence to the table other then "Millions of years" and other excuses that have been used and shot down a million times already. Trying to debunk evolution is all I see. I have yet to see any evidence from your side of the pool.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Well we at least we have a theory on how it happened. Hard to believe magnetic fields, the earth basically a soft iron core electric coil, life only on one planet along with many other facts. I personally do not believe they will find any other life "out there" There is yet to be proof of that.

Evidence is all around you. For me, it is hard to believe in accidents or chance on such a grand scale.

I have no doubt science has done good things. If more good than harm, is up for debate. But I'll give you that.
How much of it is from the theory of evolution? I admit I am ignorant. Knowing something exists and manipulating it to serve you is a far cry from knowing how it came to be.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Well we at least we have a theory on how it happened.

A magic man that we cannot see, touch, or even know poofed it all into existence in a few days.
That's not a theory, or anything of the sort, it's nothing but here-say.

Hard to believe magnetic fields,

You do know they have a very finely detailed map of earth's magnetic field right?

the earth basically a soft iron core electric coil, life only on one planet along with many other facts.

Maybe they haven't found any form of life you could understand, then again earth is the only planet in our solar system with liquid water that might have something to do with it.

I personally do not believe they will find any other life "out there" There is yet to be proof of that.

Belief is irrelevant, no they haven't found life on other planets not even microbial. Thus we sent out curiosity to drill for it, considering we find life in chemical reservoirs all over the country, there's a very good possibility life does exist on other planets, even if it's a microbe.

Evidence is all around you. For me, it is hard to believe in accidents or chance on such a grand scale.

Point taken.

I have no doubt science has done good things. If more good than harm, is up for debate. But I'll give you that. How much of it is from the theory of evolution? I admit I am ignorant. Knowing something exists and manipulating it to serve you is a far cry from knowing how it came to be.

But the question is not "How it came to be?" No one really knows 100%. The question is "Why are we allowing something that has no real place in the scientific arena to be taught along side with something that has been proven time and time again to be able to stand up to being reviewed?"

To quote from one of my favorite movies, even though it isn't 100% accurate " I don't know, Sparks. But I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space" -Ted Arroway Contact

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I understand that there is a discussion raging here about evolution and creationism, but for the moment I'm a little more interested in the Missouri law. Do you have a link to your source?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Folks were living into their seventies long before western medicine took claim to an achievement that does not belong to them.

Indeed - a very small number - now it is hte AVERAGE life expectancy

Sanitation and healthy diet have saved more lives than science.

Sanitation and a healthy diet ARE science!!

So do I - but not at the expense of the taxpayer.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Because not all theories/ideas are equal.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

I understand that there is a discussion raging here about evolution and creationism, but for the moment I'm a little more interested in the Missouri law. Do you have a link to your source?

oh good grief - I don't believe I didn't do so - but there's the evidence!!

sorry about that - source for the extract in the op

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kutas
Anything that has to do with science should be pulled out of the state, like hospitals. Let those savages pray their illnesses away, we'll see how that will work out for them.

This is a bit over the top, I am sure you agree.

Not believing in the theroy of Evolution does not mean you deny the facts of science. It means you have seen the evidence presented and choose to believe a different theory regarding the origin of all life.

Education is in constant flux, chapters are written only to be re-written years later as knowledge progresses. Until there is absolute proof (i.e. scientific law established) a governement has the right to allow different theories to be presented in education.

Your issue with it is simply a personal feeling you have that Evolution is prooven fact and creation is false, whereas I have looked at the same evidence with a Masters level education and determined only by perfect design could the physical realm exist in the manner it does. That debate has nothing to do with medicine, doctors, operations or the remainder of science as a whole. There is no need to use sweeping judgements when talking about a very specific theory.

The easy thing for you is to simply not live in MO, then you can ensure your family is taught the theory of Evolution the way you desire them to.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GR1ill3d

Evolution is a proven fact it happens it has stood up to the scrutiny of many scientists and more then 1 field of science like paleontology and biography point to the same conclusion there are other fields that point that way as well but i won't get into all that. Creation is purely speculative and nothing else, It has no physical evidence to back it up, it cannot stand up to scientific scrutiny and further more, none of the religions that teach it cannot agree on which "God" did it, They all come to different conclusions.

Plese understand that adaptation utilizing generational genetic modification (micro-evolution) is not the same as the theory of macro-evolution or the study of the origins of life on Earth.

Micro-evolution is prooven fact.

Macro-evolution and special origins is a theory being studied.

They are not the same and the factual evidence is not equal regarding all the facits of evolution.

God Bless,

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join