It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Ryan - welfare bludger??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

3. Ryan's father died when Paul was only 16. Using the Social Security survivors benefits he received until his 18th birthday, he paid for his education at Miami University in Ohio, where he completed a bachelor's degree in economics and political science in 1992.

From 10 things you didn't know about Paul Ryan

the irony is excrutiating - this guy is using his social welfare provided education to advocate slashing social welfare!!!

Only in America!!

edit on 12-8-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Yeah. Not only were the monies he was using being blamed for the problem, but the teachers who educated him were to blame too.

This guy is about as transparent as a pane of glass. A total phony. His plan actually offsets the savings by giving corporations MORE tax breaks. He forgets to discuss this when he rants about his "plan".

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
if paul ryans father was allowed to keep his money, and invest in his own retirement, you would not be complaining.
instead the government stole his fathers money, then paid it back at pennies on the dollar.
if i were him i would have drained every last red cent out of that "account".
that money belonged to the ryan family.

had paul ryan been 18 when his father died, he would not have seen a dime of his fathers money that had been stolen by the government.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It amazes me that people forget that the same buisness plan that Madoff went to jail for is the same operating princpal that S.S. opperates on now. It is time for some reform. When 49% of the populus pays no tax, and people who dont even work recieve a check yet someone such as myself pays 33% because I am willing to work 70 weeks and not married with 5 kids. if you want to talk far share then lets talk about it.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Nice to know that Paul Ryan took ADVANTAGE of Social Security money to get an education YET, for those of us average Americans WHO ACTUALLY EARNED IT, he wants to make sure we dont get any of it when we desperately require it to survive when the time comes that we are too old to work any longer and need a REST from slaving our life away..

REAL SWELL GUY, eh?

edit on 12-8-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
Nice to know that Paul Ryan took ADVANTAGE of Social Security money to get an education YET, for those of us average Americans WHO ACTUALLY EARNED IT, he wants to make sure we dont get any of it when we desperately require it to survive when the time comes that we are too old to work any longer and need a REST from slaving our life away..

REAL SWELL GUY, eh?

edit on 12-8-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

funny i never heard him say any of that.

i did hear him say that it's unsustainable.
so
your not going to get it anyway.

especially when tyrants just steal it outright.

might as well do away with it, and keep your hard earned money.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Nice to see he got some SS survivor's benefits to help pay for his education. Otherwise he could have used what a vast majority of students use to pay for their college education, Pell Grants. Wait, what? Ryan want to strip 1-million students from access to Pell Grants and siphon 170 billion from the program? Gee, maybe that next kid who finds himself in Ryan's shoes won't be so lucky.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Wow, many people don't get it.

Government steals our money and we have to thank them when they give it back?

Wrong on so many levels.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Wow, many people don't get it.

Government steals our money and we have to thank them when they give it back?

Wrong on so many levels.

how else are we going to afford to build the biggest, most expensive military ever, and fight wars all the time?

wrong on so many levels!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Ryan has never said anything, ever, about getting rid of Social Security. He's stated that he does not approve of it's current funding method or how the accounts are established and maintained. Which I think everyone agrees there needs to be some form of reform before it goes bankrupt.

Makes the people in this thread seem pretty ignorant..

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This is from Paul Ryan's website...

Social Security provides vital financial support for more than 54 million beneficiaries. Social Security also provides critical benefits to widows and those with disabilities. Unfortunately, Social Security faces a $8.6 trillion deficit over the next 75 years. With 10,000 “Baby Boomers” turning 65 every day, it is essential that we work to preserve the programs these seniors have come to count on. As Chairman House Budget Committee, one of my top priorities is to preserve the Social Security safety net and make sure the program remains solvent for future generations...

..I believe there is a bipartisan path forward on Social Security – one that requires all parties first to acknowledge the fiscal realities of this critical program. The President’s Fiscal Commission made a positive first step by advancing solutions to ensure the solvency of Social Security.

The Commission suggested a more progressive benefit structure, with benefits for higher income workers growing more slowly than those of workers with lower incomes who are more valuable to economic shocks in retirement. It also recommended reforms that take accounts of increases in longevity, to arrest the demographic problems that are undermining Social Security’s finances.

In addition, there is bipartisan consensus that Social Security reform should provide more help to those who fall below the poverty line after retirement as part of any reform that make the program solvent. As part of a plan to strengthen the safety of that nation’s most vulnerable citizens, lower-income seniors should receive more targeted assistance than those who have had ample opportunity to save for retirement.

While certain details of the Commission’s Social Security proposals, particularly on the tax side, are of debatable merit, the Commission undoubtedly made positive steps forward on bipartisan solutions to strengthen Social Security. The House-passed budget builds upon the Commission’s work, forcing action to solve this pressing problem by requiring the President to put forward specific ideas on fixing Social Security.

In a shared call for leadership, the budget also puts the onus on Congress to offer legislation to ensure the sustainable solvency of this critical program. As Stephen Goss, Chief Actuary for the Social Security Administration, put it in a House Budget Committee hearing, “ Our Trustees and everybody who speaks on this has opined extensively about the value of acting sooner rather than later, so that we can have gradual changes phased in and we have more options if we act relatively soon.”

His position sounds reasonable to me?

Paul Ryan

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

no, i thought he was throwing grannies over the cliff.

i saw the video, she went right over.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Nice to see he got some SS survivor's benefits to help pay for his education. Otherwise he could have used what a vast majority of students use to pay for their college education, Pell Grants. Wait, what? Ryan want to strip 1-million students from access to Pell Grants and siphon 170 billion from the program? Gee, maybe that next kid who finds himself in Ryan's shoes won't be so lucky.

well if the next kid found himself in paul ryans shoes, he would use his fathers s.s. money.

instead of someone else's s.s. money

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by David134

you pay 33% in taxes?! you should talk to romney. he makes $56,000 a DAY, and pays less than 15%. of course if the ryan plan gets passed, romney would make $56,000 a DAY and pay no taxes.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
This is from Paul Ryan's website...

His position sounds reasonable to me?

Paul Ryan

Just what is that position?? teh extract looks like potitics-speak to me - nivce phrases, no actual content.

What is it that Paul Ryan would ACTUALLY like to do?

Well he did sponsor a bill on Social Security - The Social Security Personal Savings Guarantee and Prosperity Act in 2005

The Social Security Administration concluded that the Ryan-Sununu plan would require huge increases in general budget revenue to make up the shortfall left in payroll tax revenue. Specifically, revenue would have to increase by 1.5 percent of GDP every year, an analysis by the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities found, or about $225 billion at current GDP. That’s a big honking tax hike. What’s more, under the plan, investments in the stock and bond markets would skyrocket such that by 2050, every single stock or bond in the United States would be owned by a Social Security account. This would mean that the portfolio managers at the Social Security Administration would more or less control the entire means of production in the United States.
- From here.........clearly that is completely unsupportable - even the Bush Administration wouldn't support it!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by stormson

Romney already paid over 33% on his money. He then invested it, and when the money he already got taxed on made him more money, he got taxed again, just at a smaller percentage (15%).

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
As I have said elsewhere tonight, the liberal attack machine is already up and running against Ryan. Could it get any more predictable?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
He took the money that his dad was owed. His dad paid for his social security, when he died the money he paid was given to him because he was underage at the time. I don't see anything wrong with this.....That being said look at the current situation we're in. Almost a third of americans are on some form of government assistance not including social security or medicaid. that's a lot. Im sorry to say that most people on welfare live better than I do. Go to the ghettos, go to low income areas, and find the truth for yourself. [snipped]. Im not saying to stop helping these people, but sometimes too much help just makes you lazy. There's a big difference between charity and stealing. Things need to stop. This reminds me of a time in college when everyone was like Obama this Obama that. How he was going to make the world a better place? Well is it better? No. not even a little. He's bankrupt so many small businesses already its ridiculous. Penn and Teller did a special about how universities teach you to become liberal. And liberals talk about free speech when in truth, its not, they only care if you talk about what they want, if you don't, they get violent and argumentative. Please watch the episode of penn and teller's bull#. If you keep providing crutches for people then they will never grow up.
edit on Mon Apr 22 2024 by DontTreadOnMe because: personal info removed

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Considering how badly most private pension funds are doing, SS is the best bet most people have, especially when you have people like Mitt going around stealing people's pension funds.

Considering that we had to bail out Wall Street, why would anyone trust their pensions to those crooks.

Ryan is worse than Mitt.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shaun9883
reply to post by stormson

Romney already paid over 33% on his money. He then invested it, and when the money he already got taxed on made him more money, he got taxed again, just at a smaller percentage (15%).

How did you find this out? Did he release his tax returns showing this?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join