It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

first to post syndrome, getting out of hand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
it would seem like the tactic of first to post in reply to a thread,
is being used and abused.

i have been quietly watching ats for many years and have been a member for a few now,
and i have noticed a tactic being used increasingly to derail threads before they even really get started.

i have noticed that in any thread that has a good tittle,
or contentious content, certain members will rush to be the first to post.

while this causes no problems if the first post is well thought out or even on topic,
when this FIRST POST is designed to derail and or is aggressive or rude,

then i tend to move on to another thread ton read.

but more and more the exclusive first post is poping up to ruin my reading experience,
and while at first i was simply able to aviod contentious threads and ignore the F.T.P syndrome,

i know find it to be everywhere.

almost like an attempt to preempt thoughtful comments, and turn threads into chaos.

i have noticed in some cases the F.T.P. syndrome members have similar language,
post within 1 minute of the ops post,
and very really ever come back to the thread to participate.

it has now got to the point where moving to other threads and or ignoring it in the hopes it gets better,
is imposable.

is this F.T.P syndrome curable?
can we have a debate as to why the first post usually causes members to move on?
or is that the aim of the first to post squad?

i can no longer ignore this behaviour, so i have bought this matter to board B&Q

ideas?

xploder

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This first to post thing does my nut it.

Its like there is a race to see who can write the words “the OP is a tool”

Spend hours writing a thread only for someone who might not even know the first thing about the topic being written about get the first post on the thread with the words “your sources are wrong” or “if ron paul had his way”

Its annoying.

I really hope this doesn’t end up being the first post. now

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Its all part of the first to post or first to start a thread. First to start a thread gets to give it there political leaning. Turns the news into a attack or promotion of there sides view. Then ATS started to shut down multiple threads on same story enforcing that policy of who ever gets it first gets to control it. Now your just seeing a backlash on first to post to derail since they did not get to start the thread with there twist they try to stop the thread with the others twist.

Welcome to ATS!

I guess original articles or sources would help. Instead of letting a blog post on a original story create the leaning they want.

Here is a example.
A blog post created a headline of "One Million Layoffs: Department of US Defense Prepping Notices"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

But yet the original article the blog post was talking about never said One Million Layoffs. It was made up. The blog post does not even list a poster for the edited title.

Heres the original article. Another blog post but atleast it has a poster By Carlo Muñoz .
thehill.com...

edit on 12-8-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

MOD NOTE, that issue has been corrected

edit on Sun Aug 12 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

remove the starring system.
a sarcastic first reply is guaranteed to bag you a lot of stars.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kino321

BINGO.

The starring system is a way to make the user feel relevant, it validates you. You see a star and say "Someone likes me", and it gives you that little boost in ego.

Thus, just like on Facebook, ATS has its own "Like" junkies in the form of "star" junkies. I guess there are "flag" junkies, too....i don't know.

In any event, for whatever reason, many people find identification in their various online identities. The flag/star system is meant to drive this identification by providing the reward (ego boost via multiple avenues: flags, applause, stars, friends, that gold or silver ribbon around posts, etc, etc). This drives user posts, which drives content, which drives unique clicks, which drives revenue.

Where it goes wrong is in human nature. Human nature craves this validation, wants the chemical rush in the brain. Thus you see a rush of people to get that first post in. And often it is hardly relevant to anything but the thread title, as they don't wait to read the actual OP. As you mention, the first page, maybe the second page, garners all the stars. Most users don't return once they have participated in 3 or 4 pages of a thread. They read the first page, maybe two, throw out some stars there. Then post a reply, and begin tracking the conversation from there.

Other than giving stars, this is kind of what I do. I don't much care about all the little validating bells and whistles. I like watching people, though, and how they behave. Regardless, I only read until it gets repetitive, then I may post a reply, and then go from there. Usually, a thread runs its course in under 3 pages, and becomes repetitive after that.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Speaking for myself, sometimes I am that first post, but really it only happens to be that way through chance.
I read the thread, and if I feel compelled enough to say something, then I will.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kino321

I agree. Starring only encourages people to post what they think other posters would find funny or agreeable. No thoughtful, polite debating seems to ever happen on these threads. It always turns vicious.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

The starring system will only be removed when there is a replacement that is as effective at driving content. This site relies on content from the users to create the value for ad revenue. The starring/flagging system drives this content by providing a reward to the member in the way of an ego boost.

No one does anything for free.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
If a post violates ATS TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE, alert it.

Otherwise, there is no problem with someone posting an opinion that is different than our own...whether it be the first post or the second or last.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

i think if the intent is to drive others away,
then the first post is important,
more so than any other after the op.

it looks like a tactic to stop discussion about the op,
and while at first i would just skip the thread and move on,
i realised that as more threads showed this behaviour,
i had less choices to acually read.

this means that i can
A move to other threads
or
B mention it to others

i took B because after studying the problem for a while
it looked like a stratgy for burying content

so i spoke up

xploder

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

You're right. I thought about that after I already posted, sorry.

I enjoy ATS most of the time and am always respectful but sometimes you just can't get the mean comments off your back.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
reply to post by greeneyedleo

i think if the intent is to drive others away,
then the first post is important,
more so than any other after the op.

it looks like a tactic to stop discussion about the op,
and while at first i would just skip the thread and move on,
i realised that as more threads showed this behaviour,
i had less choices to acually read.

this means that i can
A move to other threads
or
B mention it to others

i took B because after studying the problem for a while
it looked like a stratgy for burying content

so i spoke up

xploder

That is a matter of opinion, clearly....and a bit unfair to people (as mentioned above) who happen to see a new thread and just happen to be the first responder. And it seems that if a person has a differing opinion, then they are automatically labeled "FPS".

Many people like ME use the "Recent Post" feature and I truly go to read "new threads" before I go visit long older threads.

If a post is trollish. Alert it. If a post is just one line and bad manners (as mentioned above) "the OP is a tool". Alert it. If a post is off topic and literally has nothing to do with the topic. Alert it. If the post violates any of the T&C. Alert it.

However, if a post is something that IS w/in the T&C and you just dont like....move on and read the next one.

You are entitled to your rant, but if there is no T&C Violation, then the opinion of the "first post" is just that.....opinion. And while you may think it is crap....others may find it good.

To each their own....
edit on August 12th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I have researched many other sites comparable to ATS lately to see what I could find.
Generally they let people answer with smart one liners and a lot of language, and no real content at all.

You have to read for pages to get any idea of what is supposed to be the topic wading through simple one and two word remarks with no meaning.

I wish people could be polite and at least read the whole topic before the first comment (I have seen many times when they have not) but this site with your ability to give the star and show appreciation and feedback is the best I have found for content and discussions that go deeper, even with the bad comments, and people do research and try to draw conclusions.

I think when we are in a ...mood...sometimes all of us comment in an inappropriate way I know i have and glad people tend to just ignore me that day!

edit on 12-8-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I agree with the mod.
(you're doing a great job.)

You are in control of what posts you read and what you think about a comment.

If you don't like it then move on and stop being such a big baby.

I swear some people's children.....

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
On a board I mod the posters have a game, they call "snipe" as a first poster and then on every multiple of 10 post. The thing is that these games are kept to the OT section only.

I dont see it across this board, but in certain subject sections, there will be a first post that is sarcastic or provoking toward the OP with no real substance to it. Just a drive by bash to rile and ridicule the OP.

I understand what GEL is saying obviously, that the differing opinion posts arent the ones I felt the OP in this thread was talking about. A different opinion is one thing. A post with noting but ridicule for the sake of it with no real civil or comprehensible counter to the OP's opinion is not.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by texasgirl
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

You're right. I thought about that after I already posted, sorry.

I enjoy ATS most of the time and am always respectful but sometimes you just can't get the mean comments off your back.

Just ignore it. it IS the internet, afterall Even though ATS does a good job giving us a corner of sanity, sanity is still relative.

new topics

top topics

join