learn more

A Plea For Support: The Truth About American Poverty

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

No, this one expects crap to "happen," with no work into it. She has only complained about what others have and what she doesn't.

America still for getting people through college to build a better life for themselves (than't no guarantee)

There are grants, student loans,.......all sorts of things available to people that do want to improve their lives. As I said before, it doesn't just fall into your lap and takes some effort.

Everybody in the US knows this, and figures working to get help in this area is too hard, or they never had the grades to make themselves worthy of grants, and such.

People get what they put into life sometimes, even when they feel they are at the bottom of the barrel, there is a way out.

If you are paying too many taxes, that is not appropriate here. What is, is telling a person off, who cant understand why she doesn't have a coach handbag.............

Sometimes you have to get low to understand. I have been at the bottom, living in a shelter after my husband, who would no let me work, hurt me, and made me leave. There are organizations out there who care, and who will help....it's all in the asking, before one gets to my situation.

By the way being gay.........LOL, what does that have to do with anything? You are still human, no? MY FIANCE HAS TWO SONS, HIS ONLY CHILDREN, AND THEY ARE BOTH SMART, GORGEOUS AND GAY!!

I love them as well as my own children, but they have to work just like everybody else, dammmmmmmiittt!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kinkbauble

The system is set up to displace those who do not conform to it and especially the really smart as they are a constant threat to everything, its a dept driving society and as such you become the odd man out or odd woman out when you try to not conform to it or break away from it. And its also set up to displace the previous peoples with new ones every so odd generations. And also its set to breed mediocrity or stupidity, because frankly its all about control, just like in jobs it's not about what you know, but who you know, so to it is the same on the overall scale.

I have seen some people like you who were struggling who could not get into these programs and I have also seen people who came from well to do families and there kids were in these programs, they basically used the extra income or benefits for school even though they did not need it. And I to seen how quickly the whole thing falls apart personally when I had need of it while others around me who in now way needed help as bad as I did then back then, got all the social benefit stuff and more.

Like I said, the whole thing is about power and control and its set up to breed mediocrity, and the rest just ride it for all its worth. Its a parasitic system in a lot of ways, its set up so that the only options you can have are those that conform to the system at hand. And also on the whole immigrant thing, you got to realize that these things are a business also, and they need the emigrants both legal and illegal to keep themselves in business and to continually shift things around. In a lot of ways it's all a sort of racket. And the things you see on TV or hear about or is thought in school are the velvet drapes pulled over peoples eyes.

if you wanna be free it is basically impossible to do when using the system, only if your in the in crowd or the rich peoples club can you break away. Its sort of strange because the whole thing is set up to use and discard those who work hard or the strong that go the extra mile, but without them the whole thing will come crashing down, and so we get our current displacement model, which in now way is current or invented in this century.

If its one thing I have learned from my time in this land and others is that hard work just as often gets you no were but to an early grave, as it actually pays off, its basically a 50/50 chance if even that. In fact the whole thing is like some have said about finding loopholes and scams and such. Its a self propelling opportunistic system and that's the way that all of them like to live in.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sulie
By the way being gay.........LOL, what does that have to do with anything? You are still human, no? MY FIANCE HAS TWO SONS, HIS ONLY CHILDREN, AND THEY ARE BOTH SMART, GORGEOUS AND GAY!!

I love them as well as my own children, but they have to work just like everybody else, dammmmmmmiittt!

Now go back and read my post properly.

You're making it out as though I "expect" some kind of special treatment, whereas if you actually read my post and comprehended it properly you would see that I state this to enforce my point that housing in the UK is automatically granted to single teenage mothers, deadbeat dads breeding like rabbits, immigrants to our country (who I accept want a new life away from their own corrupt and failing country)...

You're twisting my words, and I have to wonder about your motives for doing so.

You have a very naive impression of society, IMO. The OP is pointing out that those who work for a better life are used as piggy banks for those who can't be bothered to work, those who know how to play the system, those without any morals or pride in themselves. That is the point here, and no amount of "wishful thinking" and "kindness" from others will change the fact that our governments prioritize the work-shy and useless over those who contribute and work damn hard for what we have.

The moral of the story is that if you work hard to be middle class, you're used to pay for the poverty stricken in society, but the definition of "poverty" is warped beyond belief. If you break through to the upper class, you have no responsibility and you become one of the club able to live in your own little world without sacrifice.

I accept that people should support each other, but the social system is completely off balance. The middle classes are being decimated, the poor are often being handed unfair advantages beyond what's needed and far beyond what's available to those who actually work for a better life, and the upper class toffs are left to live their lives relatively tax free.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I'll keep this short and sweet.

I am a single white male, and my priorities are about as straight as I can get them. I cannot get scholarships, I cannot get housing assistance, and until I can get a good job after school (or freelance my little backside off), I am on disability and get a walloping $16 in food stamps. The "other races" get more- and do less to get them. The treatment at the hands of the immigrants running ALL of the federal and state programs is intolerable.

The people who deserve and should be treated fairly are getting the shaft. Plain and simple- and YOUR tax dollars are being wasted in greed and someone buying luxury. Usually someone who was NOT born here, or even speak damned English.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”

Stephen Colbert.

Ahem...did you even read both of the OP's opening posts...she's not poor.

Des

Lol, aren't you on a little rampage today?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by kinkbauble

Well, you have some choices.

Find a black guy who will live with you and have his baby. Then you can have all the perks.

Get a part-time job on campus (called work study) that will help pay for your college costs. You may have to live on campus.

Take out student loans like most people do.

Move to a less expensive city with cheaper housing.

Return to your old job and take 2 night classes a semester.

I am sorry your boyfriend robbed you. Can you take him to court?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
People can judge and mock until the cows come home but...the truth is the system rewards mediocrity, there is very little mobility and the entire thing is tenuous at best.

All it takes is one incident of bad luck or bad health to throw a person or family into a tailspin of financial ruin. Just recently I spent half a year in a health crisis, including two months in the hospital. Thank GOD I had insurance - my total bill was $480,000. WTH!? Nothing should cost that much. I shudder to think of people in my same position who have no resources, who have to chose between life and DEBT.

Sure there are stories of self-made people who pull themselves up or dig themselves out - more power to them - for real, it's inspirational. But the TRUTH is that their preparation met opportunity. Not everyone finds opportunity or has time to prepare. Like the OP, who had a drama bomb dropped into her life and she is trying to put the pieces back together. Plus the reason people love feel good success stories is precisely because they are so rare, reality is far more bleak. Not hopeless, but hard. Damn hard.

I feel you OP. You are one of countless millions - mostly 30 and under who feel helpless and shell-shocked. You were raised in a consumer driven wonderland that you may or may not fully participate in as an adult.

Don't give up and don't let the cynics and haters make you feel bad for wondering and questioning. With regard to your own personal situation, hold your head high, try not to compare yourself to those around you, set a vision for yourself and don't be distracted by the superficial things. Do whatever it takes to pull yourself up and achieve your vision. Good luck!

new topics

<< 1   >>

join