It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

71-year-old taken to the ground for questioning Paul Ryan

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
reply to post by pointr97

Either way he's an old man show him some respect.
Well we were just shown how Ryan plans on running things
more of the same old same old

edit on 12-8-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

I know! The way Paul Ryan tackled the guy, wrestled with him, put in handcuffs, and led him out was horrendous!

Oh, wait...it was the police that did that.

/TOA

You're correct, the police cuffed and dragged the man out. Mr Ryan just rubbed salt on the wound (with his 'joke').

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by texasgirl

Will we even get Social Security 30 years down the road? What will the state of the country be in even 5 years down the road?

I just don't understand why Tom Nielsen was being disruptive if he had a broken shoulder and knew he'd be taken away. Was this something he did on purpose? He was a protester and was warned about interrupting Ryan's speaking engagement.

no way we will get social secruity 30 years down the road. i dont think anyone can really imagine what the world will be like then but it will take up too much of the gdp for america to function.

i think the plans are we all will work til were dead.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23

Will we even get Social Security 30 years down the road? What will the state of the country be in even 5 years down the road?

I just don't understand why Tom Nielsen was being disruptive if he had a broken shoulder and knew he'd be taken away. Was this something he did on purpose? He was a protester and was warned about interrupting Ryan's speaking engagement.

no way we will get social secruity 30 years down the road. i dont think anyone can really imagine what the world will be like then but it will take up too much of the gdp for america to function.

i think the plans are we all will work til were dead.

Then this guy is lucky; he'll at least get SOMETHING.

Yeah, I figure I'm going to be working until I'm dead. Which means I don't want to live to be 100!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

Well probably not. I'm pissed because my Grandmother deserves to keep what she put in. Same with all the other elderly.

You know I actually can respect a man for standing up for his beliefs and frankly he wasn't hurting anyone. That being said, I think it was a poor choice and probably engineered to get a sob story out and make Ryan look bad. *looks around thread*

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

Good idea to funnel money into IRAs instead of fancy rims for your car right now. I'd rather be rolling around in money happy and retired at 50 than drive around some ludicrous car right now.

I'm all over the place, all about personal responsibility but also want everyone to have medical care, food, housing and the ability to relax after 60.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23

Originally posted by pajoly
I do wish to hell the media would stop calling these "entitlement" programs. We paid in to it for decades and the lasted data show that retires starting now will be the first to get back LESS than they put in. AKA, that ain't entitlement, its robbery.

just imagine being a 71 year old man who paid into social security for 50 years and being told you arent going to get what you were promised and because of that you might have to get a job to make ends meet.

i would be so pissed!

exactly, thats the problem.
people who don't work, are collecting from ss.
thats why they call them entitlements.

if s.s. is a retirement fund then only those who pay in, should receive out.

if we are going to take care of our indigent, why are we stealing from our retired seniors, who have paid for s.s.,medicare, and medicaid.

they should get every damn dime, plus interest, that they payed in.

the cost of living for the indigent needs to be separate from the "retirement fund"

thing is though, there is no fund.
it does not exist.

i say start over.

1 tax-- indigent tax.

thats it, thats all you need.

if people want a retirement fund, invest it privately.

seniors healthcare would be covered under this indigent tax, just like medicaid.

and it should be sales tax, not an income tax. that way eveybody pays their "fair share"

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by texasgirl

Well probably not. I'm pissed because my Grandmother deserves to keep what she put in. Same with all the other elderly.

You know I actually can respect a man for standing up for his beliefs and frankly he wasn't hurting anyone. That being said, I think it was a poor choice and probably engineered to get a sob story out and make Ryan look bad. *looks around thread*

It very well could have been engineered/setup.. but I doubt this.

1st, This happened a year ago.
2nd, Mr Ryan made himself look bad, he could have easily made himself look good at the same time.
3rd. The problem the 71yo was angry about, is a real issue for many people in the US of A.
edit on 12-8-2012 by acidsweep because: typo

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Then this guy is lucky; he'll at least get SOMETHING.

Yeah, I figure I'm going to be working until I'm dead. Which means I don't want to live to be 100!

we can always hope that the human race gets something better figured out or nobody will live to be 100 .

the funny thing is we can sit and argue about social security all day and night and we are still overlooking the millions of other problems that exist in this world.

we either need a huge reset button for the human race or a global awakening.
there has to be a better way to run a civilization!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

just make sure your grandma never speaks up about her fair share during a paul ryan speech on cutting social security!

id hate to see her made fun of and thrown to the ground and handcuffed!

im just playing i bet your grandma is awesome!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by acidsweep

Oh, I understand the concerns Tom Nielsen has, no doubt. It concerns me, too.

This was an issue of him making an outburst, out of turn, during an engagement where disruptions were warned against. He should have waited until the question/answer session after the speech to voice his objections.

In many posts I said Ryan's comment about his blood pressure was in bad taste and I still stand by that.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Good idea to funnel money into IRAs instead of fancy rims for your car right now. I'd rather be rolling around in money happy and retired at 50 than drive around some ludicrous car right now.

I'm all over the place, all about personal responsibility but also want everyone to have medical care, food, housing and the ability to relax after 60.

i dont think that an ira will help everyone retire happily. the wages have not been moving in this country for so long while the cost of living has been going up like crazy.

most people in this country live check to check. i lost a big percentage of my 401k when the stock market tanked that i dont trust that money will be there when im old enough to take it out. im even one of the lucky people who is eligible for a pension.

i really do think its going to be work til u die in the world.
edit on 12-8-2012 by elitegamer23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

It very well could have been engineered/setup.. but I doubt this. 1st, This happened a year ago. 2nd, Mr Ryan made himself look bad, he could have easily made himself look good at the same time. 3rd. The problem the 71yo was angry about, is a real issue for many people in the US of A.

Well I think it was engineered by people that oppose Ryan, so Ryan would not have had anything to do with it and wouldn't have anticipated. Considering the protesters were warned not to do this, then ended up sending in a guy who had a bad back, yeah I think it was engineered. I also think he struggled with the police so they would be forced to put him down and he could tug them heart strings a bit harder.

I know it's a real problem. I completely understand his frustration. I'm upset with what's going on too.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Oh, I understand the concerns Tom Nielsen has, no doubt. It concerns me, too.

This was an issue of him making an outburst, out of turn, during an engagement where disruptions were warned against. He should have waited until the question/answer session after the speech to voice his objections.

In many posts I said Ryan's comment about his blood pressure was in bad taste and I still stand by that.

I can agree with you on this! The older man should have waited his turn (unfortunately he didnt), but I do give him a thumbs up for having guts and trying to stand up for himself.

Mr Ryan had a chance to shed light on the situation, or at least defuse it in a better way, but he didnt. Definately bad taste in 'humor'.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I have to applaud all the posters on this thread for not getting riled up and vicious over such a 'hot button' issue. I have enjoyed debating with all of you but I have to go now. We are getting some bad storms here in Dallas.

Thanks!!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I have to applaud all the posters on this thread for not getting riled up and vicious over such a 'hot button' issue. I have enjoyed debating with all of you but I have to go now. We are getting some bad storms here in Dallas.

Thanks!!

i was just thinking the same thing texasgirl. i think the fact that retirement is something we all think about and a dream we all share is part of the reason we are able to have very decent discussion!

have a wonderful night!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

just make sure your grandma never speaks up about her fair share during a paul ryan speech on cutting social security!

She probably would have had she been there. Actually she's got more class than that but I guarantee during the Q&A she would have ripped Ryan a new one.

id hate to see her made fun of and thrown to the ground and handcuffed!

She would have thought the joke was funny. She can spit venom and disagree with a persons politics, but she appreciates a smart mouth.

im just playing i bet your grandma is awesome!

Early 80's and involved at an insane amount in local politics. She always has a few different organizations she's involved in, gets something published in the newspaper so often it's become a non event. Respects everyone and while I completely disagree with her most of the time on politics, she always takes the time to listen to my side and has actually begun calling me out when I troll her with nonsense. She actually knows what trolling is now. She's pretty awesome. I'm kind of a Grandma's boy.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Thanks!!

I second this. I actually had a lot of fun in this thread. It's nice to have a conversation and despite disagreement come away with it respecting the people you've been talking to more.

Also, stay safe!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

It very well could have been engineered/setup.. but I doubt this. 1st, This happened a year ago. 2nd, Mr Ryan made himself look bad, he could have easily made himself look good at the same time. 3rd. The problem the 71yo was angry about, is a real issue for many people in the US of A.

Well I think it was engineered by people that oppose Ryan, so Ryan would not have had anything to do with it and wouldn't have anticipated. Considering the protesters were warned not to do this, then ended up sending in a guy who had a bad back, yeah I think it was engineered. I also think he struggled with the police so they would be forced to put him down and he could tug them heart strings a bit harder.

I know it's a real problem. I completely understand his frustration. I'm upset with what's going on too.

I guess we can't agree on everything, but at least the important things we have the same viewpoint! Loved debating with you

edit on 12-8-2012 by acidsweep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

This was really fun. I guess there isn't much more to say since we aren't going to convince each other of anything, but I do appreciate your taking the time and being so polite. I do get where you're coming from and I hate to admit this but I think it was an inappropriate comment.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Democrat operative putting on a show.

I'd be upset also if I was 71 years old and having to rely on government.

What a wasted life.

I am sure that you already know this but Paul Ryan went to college on his father's social security death benefits.
His political inspiration, Ayn Rand, decried government programs throughout her life and movement but nonetheless decided to collect both social security and medicaid in her later years. She did it as Ann Conner. Conner was her husband's name.

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join