It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

71-year-old taken to the ground for questioning Paul Ryan

page: 15
87
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by macman
 


Those 'police' were hired security by Team Ryan. Maybe off-duty, but the only reason they were there were they were hired to be there. So the responsibility still goes to Ryan. Aside from the fact the hired security would immediately usher anyone out for speaking out and taking them down to the floor, Ryan's extremely poor joke at this man's expense shows how callous and cavalier he is to the plight of working people in this country.

"Screw you 71-year-old guy, billionaires need another tax break, so ante up!"




Do we know it was Ryan who hired them or was it the rotary club?




posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunyadammm
Why do I see so many ATS right wingers in here defending Ryan on this?
Two years ago you were the same people defending every angry old TEA bagger that got up and screamed and yelled at any town meeting they could get into.
What happened to all that fun?
Oh, they were yelling at Democrats then, huh?



I am a Ron Paul supporter and am not defending Ryan. His response was to make a quip at the expense of the old man was in bad taste, not denying that.

The guy was a protester, spoke out of turn, and was forced out of the room. They were warned by authorities this would happen and he ignored that. Again, the video only shows a small portion so we don't really know what happened before that.



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Butch4231
reply to post by Domo1
 


Yes, well said. This gentleman could have followed the rules and waited his turn. On the other hand, I can't help but think he may have been planted there by team Stalin, er, I mean team Obama just to have something they can use as leverage against Ryan.


Ryan looks bad because of how Ryan reacted.
How does team Obama pay for that to happen?



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by texasgirl



I am a Ron Paul supporter and am not defending Ryan.


If you are not a right winger and you are not defending Ryan, then I guess it did not apply to you. Why did you defend yourself against something that does not apply to you?



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl
 


Does it matter? The most disturbing thing about this is how blithely Ryan joke's at the man's expense. He stood there, heard the man shout out his concern, then watched the cop/security guy take him down to the floor. No concern for the guy, no concern for the guy's question about social security - just a joke. "Ha ha, hope grandpa took his blood pressure medicine." 'Cause lord knows, grandpa's gonna need that blood pressure medicine when Ryan and Romney are in power, and cut seniors off at the knees. Republicans in Congress keep raising the retirement age and cutting benefits, so they can continue bestowing tax breaks onto the wealthiest elites. Under Ryan's budget, a guy like Mitt Romney would pay 0.82% in taxes (*, **). I think we're all going to need some blood pressure medication.



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Meh. Joke didnt strike me as being in poor taste. I dont think it was intended as an age joke. More an anger joke. You cant have a nice little chat every time some jackaninny decides to get loud and speak out of turn. The gentleman could have waited for the Q and A and been respectful.


I'm with you here. We can't just let people start blurting out whatever they feel like at anytime...what would be the point? They would constantly get interrupted and would not be able to get their message across because someone will always disagree.

The man was making a scene at a public event. This man was not going to be arrested until he resisted. That is clear in this video.



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23
and paul ryan makes a joke about the man age saying, " i hope he took his blood pressure medicine".

haha so funny my ryan.

its a shame what our country has become.

i hope the older citizens get pissed off at the republicans finally.
edit on 12-8-2012 by elitegamer23 because: (no reason given)


No doubt.

As much as it disgusts me what they did to this poor guy...it's about time the 'boomer's-and-older crowd get a taste of their own medicine. It was all fun and games when it was only GenX and the Millennials who used to get such treatment.

Welcome to the hell-hole you guys have created with your 30+ years of voting for social "conservatism", "tough-on-crime/terror" policies, and the "traditional values" of the The Establishment whilst mindlessly pining for the pursuit of a completely unattainable and fictional utopia...of EITHER the "right" or the "let".



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by pointr97
 


In this society, elders are not respected anymore. Not the way that they used to be a long time ago. No one wants to listen to them much. Paul Ryan is a complete idiot, who encompasses that same attitude toward his elder.

What should have happened is, Ryan should have shut his mouth up, and gave this man the floor. Instead of cracking a joke at this man's excuse, he should have listened to him and answered his questions.

My grandpa yells at me a lot. He is old, and when he speaks and has something important to say, he tends to get loud. That's okay, because I know he just wants to be heard.

We need to treat our elders with respect Mr. Ryan, and you acted like an immature fool in front of your audience.



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I don't get it....I just don't get how people think Ryan took a jab at the man's age. He specifically said "I hope he took his blood pressure medication". How in any way does that relate to the man being old? Oh that's right because young people are not on BP medicine...yep must be it. Blood pressure rises when people get angry...would it have been better had he say "Hope he takes a chill pill"? People are so damn sensitive these days it ridiculous.



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation
 


Yes young people can have their BP go up too.
How many of them have BP medication scripts though?
His BP medication is kind of specific. Not a lot of teens on BP medication is there?



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunyadammm

Originally posted by texasgirl



I am a Ron Paul supporter and am not defending Ryan.


If you are not a right winger and you are not defending Ryan, then I guess it did not apply to you. Why did you defend yourself against something that does not apply to you?



I guess because I thought the poster assumed I was a right winger and thought I was defending Ryan when I said the man spoke out of turn.

Never assume anything. Thanks for calling me out.



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by macman
 


Those 'police' were hired security by Team Ryan. Maybe off-duty, but the only reason they were there were they were hired to be there. So the responsibility still goes to Ryan. Aside from the fact the hired security would immediately usher anyone out for speaking out and taking them down to the floor, Ryan's extremely poor joke at this man's expense shows how callous and cavalier he is to the plight of working people in this country.

"Screw you 71-year-old guy, billionaires need another tax break, so ante up!"


Oh good hell.
Yes, I am sure that the Ryan team hired the officers, but they are there to uphold laws and is more then likely a requirement for the local area.
Having worked hundreds of off duty jobs, the person or company that does the hiring can't request unlawful actions.
And, again. I did not see where Paul Ryan told the officers to remove the man. Nor is there evidence to suggest that before his speech, Ryan told police to remove this man.

Again, misleading title, as the man was removed from a private function.



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by texasgirl
 


Does it matter? The most disturbing thing about this is how blithely Ryan joke's at the man's expense. He stood there, heard the man shout out his concern, then watched the cop/security guy take him down to the floor. No concern for the guy, no concern for the guy's question about social security - just a joke. "Ha ha, hope grandpa took his blood pressure medicine." 'Cause lord knows, grandpa's gonna need that blood pressure medicine when Ryan and Romney are in power, and cut seniors off at the knees. Republicans in Congress keep raising the retirement age and cutting benefits, so they can continue bestowing tax breaks onto the wealthiest elites. Under Ryan's budget, a guy like Mitt Romney would pay 0.82% in taxes (*, **). I think we're all going to need some blood pressure medication.



Yes, that was disturbing, for sure. In the earlier posts when this thread started the issue was whether the man spoke out of turn and whether the cops had the right to pull him out of the room.

It was a tasteless joke on Ryan's part.



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
I don't get it....I just don't get how people think Ryan took a jab at the man's age. He specifically said "I hope he took his blood pressure medication". How in any way does that relate to the man being old? Oh that's right because young people are not on BP medicine...yep must be it. Blood pressure rises when people get angry...would it have been better had he say "Hope he takes a chill pill"? People are so damn sensitive these days it ridiculous.


Paul Ryan is the one who looked like a joke, and yeah, he has an ageist mentality because he showed disrespect by cracking a joke at the man being upset. He was only trying to be heard and get his legitimate questions out there. Clearly he was angry, so, why didn't Ryan take this as an opportunity to listen and respond? This could have been a great moment for him to show respect, but nope, he acted like a jerk. What else should we expect though? He's a dirty politician who is only capable of laughing off someone's concerns, so that he won't have to think of an unrehearsed response.



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer
 


Are you insinuating that Liberals and 0bama have not had people removed from functions?

Cherry Picking at its best.


Oh yeah, I forgot. It is ALWAYS different for Liberals.



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation

Originally posted by Domo1
Meh. Joke didnt strike me as being in poor taste. I dont think it was intended as an age joke. More an anger joke. You cant have a nice little chat every time some jackaninny decides to get loud and speak out of turn. The gentleman could have waited for the Q and A and been respectful.


I'm with you here. We can't just let people start blurting out whatever they feel like at anytime...what would be the point? They would constantly get interrupted and would not be able to get their message across because someone will always disagree.

The man was making a scene at a public event. This man was not going to be arrested until he resisted. That is clear in this video.


So what? Perhaps the two parties should change their message and policies so that they don't have to worry about pissing people off so badly that they get screamed at in public?

After all...that's how the beloved "free market" works. If the customer doesn't like the product being peddled to them they refuse to buy and tell their friends how lousy it is as well. Don't tell me you don't believe in free markets. LOL.

By the way...you ARE aware that the beloved "Founding Fathers" were tax-evading, riot-inciting, vandals...correct? I mean...this whole modern "Tea Party" thing takes it's very NAME from a widely celebrated instance of civil disobedience, vandalism, and rioting. Should Benjamin Franklin, one of the chief organizers of the REAL Boston Tea Party, also have been subjected to this treatment? Franklin not only yelled out loud in public...he also destroyed private property?

Why does Bennie Franklin get a "pass" in your book but this much more peaceful and respectful citizen deserves such harsh treatment? Likewise...let's say and elderly person shouts out "We don't socialized medicine!" at an Obama rally...does that person deserve to be taken to the ground and arrested...or should Obama "listen to the people?"

It's a shame so many Americans have become little more than brainwashed slaves.



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Considering PR political positions, this guy is just the first of what is likely to be a growing crowd of protesters.

It easy to drag off one old man, but what about a couple hundred?

Where is PRs next stop?

How about Mitt's next stop.



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunyadammm
reply to post by HawkeyeNation
 


Yes young people can have their BP go up too.
How many of them have BP medication scripts though?
His BP medication is kind of specific. Not a lot of teens on BP medication is there?


You're right that not a lot of young people take them but they still do. People on here are making the assumption that he was taking a shot at the man because of his age when we all know we'd say something to the same thing, An intense moment can be easily averted with a quick joke and that is what he did.

In regards to your last statement I'm just not sure what you are trying to imply...yes his statement about BP medication was specific but to what? That he was angry and needed to take it or to his age? Also, why would he make an old person joke in front of old people



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by texasgirl
 


Does it matter? The most disturbing thing about this is how blithely Ryan joke's at the man's expense. He stood there, heard the man shout out his concern, then watched the cop/security guy take him down to the floor. No concern for the guy, no concern for the guy's question about social security - just a joke. "Ha ha, hope grandpa took his blood pressure medicine." 'Cause lord knows, grandpa's gonna need that blood pressure medicine when Ryan and Romney are in power, and cut seniors off at the knees. Republicans in Congress keep raising the retirement age and cutting benefits, so they can continue bestowing tax breaks onto the wealthiest elites. Under Ryan's budget, a guy like Mitt Romney would pay 0.82% in taxes (*, **). I think we're all going to need some blood pressure medication.


Yep.

Unfortunately, Ryan is so arrogant and absolutely clueless that he ALSO fails to realize that his own "Ryan Plan" might very well make such blood pressure medicine unattainable to this guy.



posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder
 


Wow...didn't even read your post because it went into "founding fathers" and "tea party". What the hell does that have to do with anything I just posted? I don't care if this person was Joe Blow, instead of Ryan, speaking at some city council meeting. Don't get it twisted that you think I am defending Ryan because I like him...hell I don't know # about him to be honest. The problem I have is we are assuming he made an "old person" joke when in fact he did not.



new topics

top topics



 
87
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

log in

join