It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I broke my foot!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Pic is about 30 mins after I broke it.

I am about 3 weeks into my healing now and the doctor says it will take 6-8 to fully heal. I'm on crutches and totally non-weight bearing. My employer has me on modified duty which is great because it gets me out of the house even though walking around on crutches is a real drag. The doctors have got me in an Aircast which is great as I can take it off to shower (which is a totally new experience that involves chairs getting in and out) and also if it gets too hot or itchy. I do keep the Aircast on most of the time as per doctors orders. I even sleep with it so as to not reinjure it in the process of tossing and turning. It's not too bad.

The bone that failed is the medial cuneiform. Nice clean break with no surgery or screws needed so I guess I'm lucky in that aspect. I've been reading some horrible tales of foot problems associated with surgery after breaking a bone so I'm happy that none was required.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot more web surfing and spending a lot of time on ATS reading all your posts. I wanted to thank you all for writing such great posts and keeping me informed while I'm slightly laid up. ATS New Topics is my home page and I spend so much time here.

I've adjusted my diet and with the help of a calorie tracking iPhone app, I'm hoping not to gain any weight due to my adjusted level of physical activity. Being mostly sedentary is not what I'm used to. The doctor said I may be able to start cycling again around week 4 provided I don't give 'er too hard.

This the first bone I have ever broken in the 35 years I've been alive and I hope it is the last. The worst part of the whole thing is not being able to play with my 15 month old daughter as I usually do. She doesn't understand why I can't go for a walk with her and it breaks my heart.

Trying to stay positive and optimistic about the whole thing. I wish you all well and please send me your healing thoughts. I know I'll be back in action soon. :-)

Bye for now.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I had a stress fracture of the same bone, so I feel your pain -- literally! Most people say that time seems to be flying by these days, so that's in your favor. You'll be over this before you know it. Don't forget your calcium and vitamin D supplements. Healing wishes your way.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by grantjennings

You didn't say how it happened. I'd love to hear the story and , maybe, it will raise some awareness of what not to do.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Wow, I am totally amazed at the amount of swelling

You're VERY lucky not to have a "real" cast....bathing was a chore....it itched...the muscle atrophies.
The only good thing is no crutches and a handicap parking sticker...and an elevator key at school

Hope your back in the swing of things soon...until then....be careful

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Thank you all for your kind words. The injury was due to a fall from a very small height. I believe the problem was that it was unexpected and my body didn't have time to prepare itself. I liken it to when you're walking and you don't notice a small step in front of you. Even that little dip can jar your body if you're not prepared.

In my case, I was ascending a trailer and the side rail I was holding onto gave way. (it wasn't secured properly although it was in the secure position.) I tumbled off the trailer unexpectedly and landed with all my weight on my left foot breaking the bone. I knew it right away as the pain was intense and I felt quite nauseous.

I guess if there is a lesson here it is to recognize any potential hazards and don't get complacent even if you feel that all is safe in your surrounding environment.

Thanks again to all that commented.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by grantjennings

Things like that can happen. My sister in law stepped on the edge of a sidewalk where there was a depression in the ground. She twisted her ankle and lost her balance. In trying to catch herself, she twisted the other ankle. She ended up with one ankle sprained and the other fractured. She was in a wheel chair for about three weeks.

Hope the foot gets better soon.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Poor you! 2 day ago I broke my tooth and now I must visit any dentist, but I'm very afraid!!!

new topics

top topics

join