It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola reports return. Trucker suspected in Kenya!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No problem, I will keep all of you updated. Most people out here don't care what goes on around them...It's no different from the good U.S of A. But there should be limits, don't let small scares give you sleepless nights, I'm 100% sure this will come to pass.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Here's another possible infection, this time in Mwanza City:

www.ippmedia.com...

It's the 5th article under Headlines. (Sorry, I couldn't get it to come up on its own)

DeadSnow- How far is Mwanza City from Mombasa?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
To help a bit, here is a clip from the article Texasgirl brought, for anyone who can't load the link at the moment:

The patient is suspected to be suffering from severe symptoms that resemble those of the dreaded disease -- less than a week after news earlier broke in Karagwe district, Kagera region, claiming that a patient with similar symptoms was also hospitalized at Nyakahanga designated hospital in the region.

(- Paragraph snipped for space-)

According to the Mwanza Regional Medical Officer (RMO), Dr Valentino Francis Bangi, the Mwanza case was first reported at the Sekou Teure regional hospital and later referred to Bugando referral hospital – before the patient was sent back for readmission at the Sekou Teure facility.

The RMO told The Guardian On Sunday in a telephone interview yesterday that his hospital had received a patient on Monday this week who, upon proper diagnosis, was found to be suffering from dysentery and severe abdominal pains.

Now I would want to note for my own report of the truck driver as well as any that come up, there have already been a couple thought to be, tested and found not to be. Deadsnow, you're there? Is the media correct on those reports? Assuming they are...just something to keep in mind. I'm personally staying very alert and key on stories related to this....but at the same time, being pragmatic.... Unless the locals start getting real concerned or other nations see cases..

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Wrabbit- thanks for getting my article out. Much appreciated! This actually just posted today so it's a possible new infection case.
edit on 12-8-2012 by texasgirl because: Needed to add a word that clarified the whole post

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by texasgirl
Here's another possible infection, this time in Mwanza City:

www.ippmedia.com...

It's the 5th article under Headlines. (Sorry, I couldn't get it to come up on its own)

DeadSnow- How far is Mwanza City from Mombasa?

Okay, it seems Mwanza is in Tanzania.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

Sorry for the late reply, Yes Mwanza is in Tanzania. Most cases affect those around large lakes. Mwanza is about 640 miles from Mombasa which is much further than the capital city Nairobi, at 420 miles.

There's been no mention of the outbreak in the local newspapers, although I came across this article from the BBC on Google news:

The outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in Uganda appears to be under control, says the medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF).

The last confirmed death from Ebola took place 11 days ago, MSF epidemiologist Dr Paul Roddy told the BBC.

Dr Roddy said that if there were no confirmed cases for 42 days the outbreak could be considered contained.

Cont'd:

Uganda has seen three major Ebola outbreaks over the past 12 years. The deadliest was in 2000 when 425 people were infected. More than half of them died.

Source
edit on 13-8-2012 by DeadSnow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSnow

More great information! It's greatly appreciated and adds to what I knew about this. This is the source I originally got the alert from and link back to the OP story:

Outbreaks: Global Incident Map

It sounds like your well familiar with the realities of how often outbreaks of all kinds are happening so I thought you might appreciate this map for the general reference it can be, particularly where you are at there. Assuming of course you didn't already have it.

It gives both a Global interactive tracking display and a very lengthy list of current known outbreaks for just about everything I could ever imagine wanting to know about....and a few I probably was better off not seeing.

Anyway.. I figured this is something back for what you've added... Thanks again. It's so helpful having local perspective!

edit on 13-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I hate to say this... but looking over that very source brought a new hit. Uganda, 3 more suspect cases reported.

(Posted Sunday, August 12 2012 at 01:00)

Medical officials in Kibaale District on Friday registered three more suspected cases of people killed by Ebola, bringing the death registered in communities from suspected Ebola hemorrhagic fever to over 20.

The three died from three different areas of Bufunjo Sub-county, Kyenjojo District: Yerusalemu LCI, Kashagari Parish in Kyakabadiima Sub-county and Kahyooro village in Bwamiramira Sub-county.

The Kibaale District Health Officer, Dr Dan Kyamanywa, who confirmed the deaths, said the district Ebola taskforce sent a burial team to the respective villages to bury the deceased.

By press time, many residents of Kibaale were concerned that renewed infection rates could further worsen the prevalence of the disease. But Dr Kyamanywa urged the public to be calm, saying the medical team had intensified surveillance to detect any new infections.
Source

Well, shoot... I guess this is really going to be a touch and go thing for awhile and we'll all just have to keep an eye and ear out for how things develop. Hmmmmm

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Wow the map really gives me a different perspective, wouldn't have thought it had spread all the way to Mombasa. I don't see how that's possible without other cases being reported from cities along the way. Cheers for that

I will report back in about four hours after catching up on the local news. Sorry for my late replies, have a tight schedule at the moment.

Edit: The general elections will be one to look out for over here, I'm expecting a massacre. Let's just hope all goes well.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I hate to say this... but looking over that very source brought a new hit. Uganda, 3 more suspect cases reported.

(Posted Sunday, August 12 2012 at 01:00)

Medical officials in Kibaale District on Friday registered three more suspected cases of people killed by Ebola, bringing the death registered in communities from suspected Ebola hemorrhagic fever to over 20.

The three died from three different areas of Bufunjo Sub-county, Kyenjojo District: Yerusalemu LCI, Kashagari Parish in Kyakabadiima Sub-county and Kahyooro village in Bwamiramira Sub-county.

The Kibaale District Health Officer, Dr Dan Kyamanywa, who confirmed the deaths, said the district Ebola taskforce sent a burial team to the respective villages to bury the deceased.

By press time, many residents of Kibaale were concerned that renewed infection rates could further worsen the prevalence of the disease. But Dr Kyamanywa urged the public to be calm, saying the medical team had intensified surveillance to detect any new infections.
Source

Well, shoot... I guess this is really going to be a touch and go thing for awhile and we'll all just have to keep an eye and ear out for how things develop. Hmmmmm

Yikes. Is this mutating or something? Or spreading faster than people think? I have to admit I have no idea where these places are. I am really bad at Geography.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

It's not easy memorizing names around here, but it looks like they're all in Uganda.

As expected the reported case in Mombasa turned out negative:

The government has allayed fears that the Ebola virus has reached Mombasa after tests done on a suspected victim's blood turned out negative. Coast public health director, Anisa Omar, said the blood samples taken from a 61-year-old truck driver identified as Moses show he does not have Ebola.

The tests were done at the Kenya Medical Research Institute in Nairobi. Moses is believed to be at the Aga Khan Hospital where he is being monitored. Omar said the results indicate that Moses is suffering from normal fever and throat flu. Moses operates trucks between Kampala and Mombasa.

"What I can assure Mombasa residents and Kenyans at large is that the samples we took to Nairobi tested negative, confirming my earlier stand that there should be no cause for alarm. It was just a normal fever accompanied with throat flu," Anisa said on phone yesterday.

Source

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Nothing at all, no mentions of it on TV or in the newspaper. I came across this article:

Scientists researching the lethal ebola virus have told the BBC that a commercial vaccine to prevent the onset of infection may never be developed. Two companies with leading vaccine candidates have had their funding from the Pentagon suspended in recent weeks. An expert said it was now "unlikely" a prophylactic vaccine would ever be used to prevent outbreaks of the disease.

In recent weeks, an outbreak in western Uganda claimed the lives of at least sixteen people. There is no specific treatment and the virus can kill up to 90% of those who become infected.

Efforts to develop a vaccine have been funded in the main by the US Department of Defense and the National Institutes of Health. They have poured millions of dollars into scientific research because of concerns that the virus could be turned into a biological weapon.

Source

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Well talk about being left with no sense of closure or end to things. Was it 16 or 20? In Kenya or not? Tanzania or not? This is odd. I could swear now the reports have been at least 3 different spots of it in Kenya but not all resolved in reports...and Tanzania, was it one or two or more? It's hard to keep track by the report's confusion. I'd done a thread about Tanzania before this one and still not entirely sure about that?

So... Wow... Is the confusion or lack of follow up this bad as a regular thing or is this something different from a local perspective? It's not as though I'd even have the base of a tourist trip to compare to personally?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Well talk about being left with no sense of closure or end to things. Was it 16 or 20? In Kenya or not? Tanzania or not? This is odd. I could swear now the reports have been at least 3 different spots of it in Kenya but not all resolved in reports...and Tanzania, was it one or two or more? It's hard to keep track by the report's confusion. I'd done a thread about Tanzania before this one and still not entirely sure about that?

So... Wow... Is the confusion or lack of follow up this bad as a regular thing or is this something different from a local perspective? It's not as though I'd even have the base of a tourist trip to compare to personally?

15 in Uganda..No deaths reported in Kenya, Tanzania is still denying any deaths. Yet over 4 people in Tanzania were reported to have symptoms before the story faded from the news. This is a regularly thing, media blackout...always happens.

Let's give it a week, see what happens.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Total media blackout ever since but all seems to be well in East Africa. Congo doesn't look too well at the moment:

GOMA, Congo — An outbreak of the Ebola virus has killed 15 people in northeastern Congo and the local communities are quickly learning how frighteningly deadly the disease is, and how to prevent its spread.

Although it is the ninth Ebola epidemic in Congo, it is the first one in the Haut-Uele territory, in northeastern Congo. Ebola has no cure and is deadly in 40 per cent to 90 per cent of cases. The disease causes severe internal bleeding.

Initially restricted to Isiro, a city north in Haut-Uele, the Ebola outbreak has now spread to Viadana, a town located 75 kilometers (47 miles) away. According to local medical staff, the virus was transmitted to a woman from Viadana when she attended the funeral of an Ebola victim in Isiro. She then traveled back to Viadana where she contaminated several people and died herself.

SOURCE

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I usually go through this website for concrete, just-the-facts news on diseases:

ProMed-Mail

I've been following the updates on what is going on in the Congo. I really give props to the MSF workers and many others who throw themselves into the fire in places like that...true courage, IMHO.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

KAMPALA, UGANDA (BNO NEWS) -- A new outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus has claimed the lives of at least three people in central Uganda, health authorities said on Saturday. It is the third outbreak of the disease so far this year, following deadly outbreaks in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Laboratory investigations at the Uganda Virus Research Institute in Entebbe confirmed that two of the victims died of the Sudan strain of Ebola, while no samples were available for testing from the third victim. All three victims were known to each other, and two of them were from the same family.

Source

Same old story every week, two/three deaths here and there. No clear details and this is being censored by the local media.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join