It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest London fire 'for Years'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Link

More than 200 firefighters are tackling a blaze described by London Fire Brigade as the biggest seen in the capital for several years.

London Fire Commissioner Ron Dobson said: "We've not seen a fire of this size in London for several years - it's certainly a dramatic end to the Olympics for the London Fire Brigade.

edit on 12/8/12 by faryjay because: (no reason given)

Link 2

The fire at a scrap metal yard in Willesden, north-west London, pictured earlier today. Eight fire engines and forty firefighters were called to the scene Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... aW9onD

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I just got this notification on my phone and I rushed to the news websites and to ATS. Well ATS first, but no one had added this information. If it has been added, I apologize.

It's at a recycling plant so no danger to people ... Yet ... The smoke is showing all over London, as mentioned in the news, however, the Olympics isn't harmed and will go ahead as normal.

When I read this news I thought something worse had happened. But Thank God it wasn't. Hopefully no one is injured or worse ... dead...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by faryjay

Good find. Wouldn't want to be downwind. Huge amounts of plastics go through recycling centres so that smoke can be the healthiest to breath in.
edit on 12-8-2012 by murch because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Hmm, would have thought Buncefield would have been bigger, but technically not London I suppose...

Never the less, this is a few miles from the Olympic park, so everyone should be safe from any pollutants and what have you.. Other than that, pretty mundane.

Unless this was the evil plot many have predicted? The Illuminati have finally struck a blow against the most cursed of things...... Recycling!!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
EEK

www.hunts-waste.co.uk...

Hunts Waste is licensed to accept all forms of asbestos waste from strip out, refurbishment and demolition contracts. Our 7.5 acre recycling facility has a dedicated secure area where asbestos materials are stored prior to their dispatch to the appropriate landfills.

Think this is the one thats on fire.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by murch

From what I know about asbestos ... It can give you cancer. So if that has burned then that's not good at all...

Lets see how this all unfolds.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
ok, which one of you "false flag" posters started this fire ?

lame

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
It takes a long time of exposure to get cancer and it doesn't burn

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

You are right of course. Have to admit, even though I don't believe anything will happen today, all the false flag stuff is getting to me.

Nearly had a fit when I saw post.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

It doesn't burn, no.

It actually changes into a harmless compound under heat if it is high enough (1000c+)

I think burning plastics are more hazardous, but then I am not a fire fighter or chemist.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by faryjay
reply to post by murch

From what I know about asbestos ... It can give you cancer. So if that has burned then that's not good at all...

Lets see how this all unfolds.

The Asbestos should not be a problem. If its anything like Australia, the asbestos would be buried. The Idea of Asbestos was to add extra protection to houses as it is a good fire retardent. It usually is in cement sheeting and must be broken or disturbed to expose the fibres which can then be breathed in by who ever is around. there is another class also which when touched pretty much turns to powder and that is the really dangerous asbestos.

The only way the asbestos can give you cancer is by the fibres getting into the lowr depths of your lungs. As you dig further into your lungs, the veins obviously become smaller and I'm pretty sure that the fibres get lodged in those veins.. The fibres are microscopic if thats the right term so they must embed very deep in the lungs.

I have removed the crap on and off for the past 13 years. The Cement sheet asbestos isn't even that bad here. Its just pre-cautionary
edit on 12-8-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Tweet from London Fire Brigade:

Dagenham fire is under control. We'll be there during the night damping down. An #Olympic effort by our crews. Enjoy the Closing Ceremony.

Video from bbc

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

It doesn't burn, no.

It actually changes into a harmless compound under heat if it is high enough (1000c+)

I think burning plastics are more hazardous, but then I am not a fire fighter or chemist.

Asbestos is usually in cement sheeting and from experience, the cement sheeting explodes or breaks which could cause the fibres to be exposed to anyone nearby. The remaining bits of cement would still have asbestos throughout them. But the Asbestos should be buried anyway.. It would be stupid too leave piles exposed to anyone for a start. Usually when we have taken bins to the tip, the asbestos is buried straight away so no-one is exposed.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
It takes a long time of exposure to get cancer and it doesn't burn

My House is Old enough to Have Asbestos Siding (Shingles) . So I can attest to its Use as a Fire-Retardant Material...

top topics

join