It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy ship collides with oil tanker in Strait of Hormuz

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
worldnews.nbcnews.com...

An oil tanker collided with a U.S. Navy destroyer near the Strait of Hormuz on Sunday but no one was hurt and shipping traffic in the waterway, through which 40 percent of the world's seaborne oil exports pass, was not affected, officials said.

What in the world just happened..

IN such volatile region a US navy ship just got hit by an oil tanker? The US Navy would never allow any vessel to get this close in such a complex zone... This is the stuff ATS is made fo. Looks like those Iranian fast boats and high speed missiles will have no problem in the event of war.
edit on 103131p://8America/ChicagoSun, 12 Aug 2012 10:17:34 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Whose oil tanker was it? British? American? German?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I will agree with the high strangeness of this incident... Would have been very convenient for this tanker to blow up, eh?

But....Iranian fast boats?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Japans, Its on RT news right now.

edit on 12-8-2012 by WAKEYWAKEY because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

The collision nevertheless left a gaping hole in the starboard side of USS Porter, a guided-missile destroyer suffered, but no one was injured on either vessel, the U.S. Navy said in a statement. The collision with the Panamanian-flagged bulk oil tanker M/V Otowasan occurred at approximately 1 a.m. local time.

It was from Panama. This incident just seems weird to me, how the hell does a US guided missile carrier not see a damn oil tanker!!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by WAKEYWAKEY

Aye, should have checked before posting

www.arabnews.com...

Does this mean Japan is about to attack the USA?

I guess someone was paying more attention to the Olyimpics than the radar? Oops.....

edit on 12-8-2012 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

link   

Maybe they warned it, but then realized they couldn't shoot at it, for fear of huge explosion....

link   
On the behalf of the americans, those ships take miles to stop, they also have many blind spots. Its possible they did not see the ship or the other ship was not supposed to be there.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I don't think it would have been that big of an explosion if it was shot at range, I would take my chances rather than be hit by a tanker. Either way it gives the local strategists more ideas to think of scenarios...
edit on 103131p://8America/ChicagoSun, 12 Aug 2012 10:26:17 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew

Whose oil tanker was it? British? American? German?

The collision with the Panamanian-flagged bulk oil tanker M/V Otowasan occurred at approximately 1 a.m. local time.

Panamas. I for one dont smell a conspiracy here, for once.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Stop being so sensible!

Although it does seem someone wasn't paying as much attention as they should have in one of the world's busiest sea lanes.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
An oil tanker wouldn´t explode if shot when full, the oil would burn separate from the ship in the water, it would only explode once the oil had been burned off and the vapours got hot enough, or if the ship was running empty with the vapours in the hold. Similar to how you can´t set a bucket of petrol on fire, but you can if it is spilled on the floor.

As someone else said, it is most probably a case of the ship being unable to stop in time, or the US Navy ship being somewhere it was not expected to be.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

Panama is only where the ship is registered, it could be from any country really. It's a "tax hidding", to register your ship under Panama flag.

It looks like a pretty hard hit..

edit on 12-8-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It wouldn't surprise me if the US demanded the tanker to deviate its course out of the US ship's course, but the tanker, having a hella hard time doing such a thing what with its massive size, couldn't, and the arrogance of the US decided to continue on.

Just one scenario.

And/or it thought it could clear in tight quarters...

Probably the latter. Difficult to maneuver such large vessels in small spaces.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
US ships have Radar and Sonar and can detect even one man swimming underwater up to the boat...

How do they hit an Oil Tanker?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
oblisly the destroyer was wrong..... to get in the way of an tanker route.... ore the tanker had to steer away first couse it was an american warship laying in his path??????

edit on 12-8-2012 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Never mind. I see others have already addressed this....
edit on 8/12/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Being a navigation officer in the merchant Navy, I will be interested to see the specific situation as it transpired.

There are "International regulations for the prevention of collusions at sea" (Colregs) which must be adhered to. If the naval vessel was not travelling in convoy, then she is to adhere to collusion regulations.

For Example, if risk of collusion is deemed to exist then "The vessel which has the other on her own starboard side shall give way".

The US Navy vessel had damage to her starboard side suggesting she MAY have been the give-way vessel?

The tanker may have been deep draft which would have made her "restricted in her ability to manoeuvre" or "RAM" so other power driven vessels must give way to her.

High traffic area - all radars and AIS would have been functioning - they would definitely have seen each other.
edit on 12-8-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft

The tanker may have been deep draft which would have made her "restricted in her ability to manoeuvre" or "RAM" so other power driven vessels must give way to her.

Yes, I would assume a fully laden supertanker would be less easy to manoever than a modern US warship and it would be expected that the later would give way?

Sounds to me like an "oops" situation the USN would prefer us to forget
edit on 12-8-2012 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Ultimately it wouldn´t surprise me if it was just an arrogant captain who realised that he was completely untouchable because of the flag he is sailing under so he can throw international shipping and maritime laws to hell and do whatever he wants, including demanding other vessels to make maneuvers they are not obliged to do under normal circumstances.

Reminds me of the apocryphal story of the captain of a US Navy ship who demanded a contact move x degrees off course, using his position and nationality as a weapon, until captain realised he was tangling with a lighthouse.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join