It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Ryan -- How Mitt Romney Pandered To The Far Right

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Oh Mitt, your campaign strategists aren't too shabby.

So Mitt, chooses Paul Ryan as his running mate. To me, this signifies and validates the idea that Romney had absolutely 0 support from the Tea Party and the far right section of the party that's taken over the GOP over the last few years.

Choosing Ryan, who we can all admit has some very radical ideas, especially fiscally, provided some much needed clout in that community of voters.

Already though, it's backfiring, although I'm sure some will blame the "liberal" media for all of this, let's take a look at some of Mitt's shuffling..

Romney Distances Himself From Ryan Budget

Now almost immediately he starts telling people the Ryan budget isn't really what he had in mind, even though there is video and quote after quote of him praising the budget. Even going so far as to saying the Senate should pass it in it's entirety when it was released last year.

Interesting no?

This begs the other question as to why Mitt thinks it's not as good now, as it was then? Maybe it's because of the overwhelming amount of non support it gathered from those affected by the big changes. The elderly were not too fond of the idea of removing medicare and medicaid and turning them into voucher programs.

Nor were the people who had paid into these programs over the last 20 or 30 years and were getting ready to enter the program. These are all very large voting blocks for the GOP.

I have a feeling, that Ryan is going to be put through the ringer in this cycle, and so is Romney, all that flip flopping on issues is really going to be a huge problem in debates.

And I don't know if I believe that Ryan could do well against Biden in a debate if there was one for VP's.

So those are my thoughts regarding this VP pick. It's safe to say that Romney could have a major win with the group of people in his party that weren't very fond of him during primaries. These were the supporters of Newt and Rick Santorum along with Huntsman.

Thoughts?

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
My initial thought is that Mittens was bounced into this choice by the wrong people, because he just lost Florida. Ryan's budget plan will scare the crap out of Seniors - changes to Medicare will worry the heck out of them.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg
My initial thought is that Mittens was bounced into this choice by the wrong people, because he just lost Florida. Ryan's budget plan will scare the crap out of Seniors - changes to Medicare will worry the heck out of them.

I think Florida was already lost unless he got Rubio or Jed neither of whom would do it even if picked, Gov Scott in Florida has done the Republicans a great deal of damage. Ryan was really the only way Romney could go. His only hope is that the base will come out and the moderates/independent will not go out and vote because they are a lost cause at this point. I would say his tactic at this point is galvanize the base and hope for very low voter turn out. If that happens he could pull something off.
edit on 12-8-2012 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Ryan is definitely popular.

So popular in fact, the Democrats have changed their strategy and appear to be fearful of Romney/Ryan.

The Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter is now touting the ObamaCare Medicare $700 billion cuts as as an “achievement”

They went to great lengths recently to say how bad medicare cuts would be, and touted that Ryan's plan was no good.

Enter Ryan.....= 180 turnaround.

Rumor has it that Obama may have to "replace" Joe Biden now.

What a bombshell that would be !!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

So popular in fact, the Democrats have changed their strategy and appear to be fearful of Romney/Ryan.

The Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter is now touting the ObamaCare Medicare $700 billion cuts as as an “achievement”

They went to great lengths recently to say how bad medicare cuts would be, and touted that Ryan's plan was no good.

I don't see it happening - Biden being replaced that is. As for Ryan being popular, have you seen his so-called budget and his plans for Medicare? Romney just lost Florida! There's a good chance that Arizona is now a toss-up!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Bwhahahahahahaha!!!!

Popular? Paul Ryan popular?

Yea, sure mmmmkay. Keep trying to convince yourself that one.

[color=cyan] Heck, Bidens SHOELACES are more POPULAR than Paul Ryan!!

Nope, thats BS.
Romney and Paul Ryan (aka Beavis and Butthead) is the sure ticket to guarantee that the republicans will LOSE by a LANDSLIDE come November!!

Its a DONE DEAL!

Republican circus at its finest.

edit on 12-8-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

That rumor is is not from anybody who follows politics. This choice was made because Romney was getting killed. Obama's numbers keep getting better and Romney has not been able to apeal to either conservative nor the independents. Romney went with the base. His only hope is voter apathy for everyone but the conservative base. His hope is that the elderly that he puts off with Ryan will just not vote instead voting for Obama. Obama's job is just to get as many people out to vote as possible because he knows that they will mostly swing his way. So if we have a very low turn out for the election Romney has a chance. It was really the only card he had to play.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I'm a little surprised by the OP and some of the follow on comments. I've been hearing on ATS that Romney is a far right extremist for some time. Why would he have to pander to the people he supposedly already has? Could it be that Romney is a moderate? That would seem to be in line with what the people want.

The idea that Ryan is unpopular, also seems surprising.

Mitt Romney announced this morning that Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan will be his running mate.

Earlier polling found that 39% of all voters had a favorable opinion of Ryan, while 25% offered a negative review. Thirty-five percent (35%) express no opinion of Ryan. The congressman is relatively unknown to the nation at large. Only a third of voters have a strong opinion in either direction.
Rasmussen
And Romney's fear that he is being killed by Obama?

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Sunday shows Mitt Romney attracting support from 46% of voters nationwide, while President Obama earns the vote from 44%. Five percent (5%) prefer some other candidate, and five percent (5%) are undecided.
Rasmussen

And while you might argue that Rasmussen is off by a point or two, it is a well respected poll by Republicans and Democrats and has a good reputation.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Ryan is no saint.

Just another vulture waiting for his turn at the till, much like Mittens.

They are all the same. Stop pretending that there's a gem in this garbage patch.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

I understand that you have questions about the morality of the candidates, but somewhere along the way you picked up a very odd idea, indeed.

Romney will only lose money by taking the Presidency. He could make twenty times more by running a part, or all, of Bain, or for that matter, picking up executive work at almost any company in the country. And whatever makes you think that Ryan specifically is looking for money?

They are all the same.
The Republicans don't believe that, nor do the Democrats. Being able to distinguish two different objects is an essential part of mature adulthood. No two people, and their beliefs are the same. Sometimes it takes a little work to discover the differences, but I assure you, in this case it is worthwhile.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

I understand that you have questions about the morality of the candidates, but somewhere along the way you picked up a very odd idea, indeed.

Romney will only lose money by taking the Presidency. He could make twenty times more by running a part, or all, of Bain, or for that matter, picking up executive work at almost any company in the country. And whatever makes you think that Ryan specifically is looking for money?

They are all the same.
The Republicans don't believe that, nor do the Democrats. Being able to distinguish two different objects is an essential part of mature adulthood. No two people, and their beliefs are the same. Sometimes it takes a little work to discover the differences, but I assure you, in this case it is worthwhile.

The Republicans and Democrats? Are you talking about the people in congress? LOL.

I do agree that no two people are the same, but it's fair to say they have similar beliefs if one is electing the other (mind you, this is for VP). Not to mention the touting and marketing that is being done to put Mr Ryan on a pedestal.
edit on 12-8-2012 by acidsweep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Maybe it's just me, but since Romney's VP announcement I haven't seen the type of attention Palin got when she was announced.

Is this choice really energizing the party? Is Romney's event attendance soaring?

I just don't think people are excited as Republicans want us to believe. Prior to picking the VP, Romney said he wanted a VP with a vision. Ryan's vision seems to be his budget plan. Kinda odd Romney is backing away from his partners vision.

I still say Obama wins.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Is this choice really energizing the party? Is Romney's event attendance soaring?

Holy Smokes, YES! The first parade they went to together had 10,000 people lining the streets. They raised over $2 million dollars in the first 24 hours.

If you are seriously interested, I can go back and try to find the articles. But there is a new energy over this pick.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Here's a novel thought.

Bring Ryan in might not be right for a specific category, but maybe Romney thinks he's right for the country.

We;ve gone beyond "a chicken in every pot" and now we have to pay for it.

We need grown-ups in the White House that'll tackle the problems, not avoid them.
edit on 12-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Dear tothetenthpower,

You know I'm easily confused. Here's a small point that I still don't understand:

Already though, it's backfiring, although I'm sure some will blame the "liberal" media for all of this, let's take a look at some of Mitt's shuffling..

Romney Distances Himself From Ryan Budget
You put liberal media in quotes, presumably to indicate it's no such thing, and say some will see it as the liberal media, indicating that that isn't the common or majority opinion that it's the liberal media talking and then ........ You source The Huffington Post ??
What are you thinking? What am I missing?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I hope you don't mind a bit of an update on:

I was wrong, in a way about the "over $2 million" bit. It's being reported as $3.5 million in the first 24 hours. As for stories about the energizing effect, here are just a few that floated to the surface:
m.jsonline.com...

www.humanevents.com...

dailycaller.com...

online.wsj.com...

www.washingtontimes.com...

Hope it helps.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Thanks for the information. Guess it was me.

Will check out your sources later.

Peace

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Here's a novel thought.

Bring Ryan in might not be right for a specific category, but maybe Romney thinks he's right for the country.

We;ve gone beyond "a chicken in every pot" and now we have to pay for it.

We need grown-ups in the White House that'll tackle the problems, not avoid them.
edit on 12-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

let's not forget that ryan was one of the main reasons that america had the credit downgrade last year....apparently, ryan doesn't think there would be any problem with america NOT paying the loans back, on the money america has already spent.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Paul Ryan is an intellectual leader of the conservative movement. As the chairman of the House Budget Committee, Ryan gives Romney a link to Capitol Hill leadership and underscores Mitt's effort to make the election a referendum on the nation's economic course... his endorsement came at a critical stage of the GOP primaries, giving Mitt a boost in the Wisconsin race.

Ryan, 42, has spent almost half of his life in the Washington fold, the last 14 representing a southern Wisconsin district from the shores of Lake Michigan through farm country south of Madison. He was first exposed to Congress as a summer intern to Sen. Robert Kasten. With an economics degree in hand, Ryan worked his way through committee staff assignments, a prominent think tank and top legislative advisory roles until opportunity arose with an open seat from his home turf. He leveraged Washington connections, local ties forged through the family construction business and the backing of anti-abortion groups en route to his surprisingly comfortable victory. Seems a good choice for VP.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I do think a lot of the far right (Tea party, evangelicals, etc) were not loving Romney, but most of them would have voted R if it came right down to it. They don't want that Obama fella in their White House. So, Romney probably picked up a few votes on the far right, but most likely, the pick lost him more Independents, women and centrists than it gained him on the right. I think Ryan was a very bad choice for Romney and a great choice for the Democrats.

Romney panders to whomever he needs that day. The next day, he will pander to someone else. There's nothing wrong with pandering, but he's trying to please everyone and we know what that leads to - pleasing no one. If he had the balls to stand up for what HE believes in (if he even knows what that is anymore) he would have his own solid base, but as it is, he just comes across as shifty and untrustworthy, which I believe 100% is the case.

And with Ryan being so secretive about his own tax returns... it's not looking good for them. Can the right really stand behind a couple of slimeballs like these?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join