It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.3 EQ Xinjiang province China 8/12/12

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Here we go again...

USGS

Earthquake Details This event has been reviewed by a seismologist. Magnitude 6.3 Date-Time Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 10:47:06 UTC Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 06:47:06 PM at epicenter Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones Location 35.673°N, 82.535°E Depth 9.7 km (6.0 miles) Region XINJIANG-XIZANG BORDER REGION Distances 282 km (175 miles) ESE of Hotan, China 481 km (298 miles) ENE of Leh, India 549 km (341 miles) SSE of Aral, China 560 km (347 miles) ESE of Shache, China Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 14.2 km (8.8 miles); depth +/- 4 km (2.5 miles) Parameters NST=354, Nph=355, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=0.78 sec, Gp= 29°, M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=7 Source Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D) Location: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D) Event ID usb000bv81

Not sure just how populated this area is, but let's hope China's not in for the same ride as Iran....

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Big Earthquakes were predicted in the 104 or 140 hour time frame. They were in different places but I can't help but think ...

Is this part of the prediction? If so ... Yeah the area was wrong and they were lower in magnitude (Thank God) ... But they have been big Earthquakes no doubt.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Luckily this looks to be a very remote area.

I'd like to hear what the "quake-watch experts" have to say about this...
The latitude is very close to the Iranian quakes...
There was a thread quite a while back (sorry not sure how to dig it up now, can't remember the details of it) that mentioned a line around the globe that ran through these areas as well as Japan, the upper-west coast of the US, etc.
Any one have thoughts on what could be going on here?
Not in any way trying to fear-monger or throw out predictions/assumptions just honestly interested in what you guys have to say about the current "seeming up-tic" in quakes the last few days.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by faryjay

I don't really hold a lot of merit to the so called predictions. But there has been a lot of talk of the 8/11- 8/12 time frame for something to happen/change. Many reports are on many different theories. I can't help but to think there IS a connection there.
But, then again, I do tend to love a good conspiracy/theory/prophesy. Why else would I be here?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by avatar22

Any one have thoughts on what could be going on here?

Mother nature shaking off the fleas?

From what I understand these things come in cycles. I don't really think there' s any rhyme or reason to it all.

That is a fairly rural part of China though, so damage will be minimal and I hope no one gets hurt.

Country people are typically good people the world over.

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

There was a thread quite a while back (sorry not sure how to dig it up now, can't remember the details of it) that mentioned a line around the globe that ran through these areas as well as Japan, the upper-west coast of the US, etc.

That would have been this thread...
What is happening at 37.75N latitude?

But this "theory" only works if you
1. Include anything in the 30something latitude, such as this current 35.681 degree quake as being "significant".
2. Exclude almost every other thing on, such as the multitudes of quakes in the south east asian area of the pacific "ring of fire" and all the ones in the Chile area... and most everything else as well. The 6.7 in Mauritius two weeks ago would certainly have to be ignored completely.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

That would have been this thread...
What is happening at 37.75N latitude?

But this "theory" only works if you
1. Include anything in the 30something latitude, such as this current 35.681 degree quake as being "significant".
2. Exclude almost every other thing on, such as the multitudes of quakes in the south east asian area of the pacific "ring of fire" and all the ones in the Chile area... and most everything else as well. The 6.7 in Mauritius two weeks ago would certainly have to be ignored completely.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that to hold any credence to that theory/question you must "exclude" everything else.
I am no expert on plate tectonics, geology fascinates me, and I watch/read/learn everything I can about the subject.
I understand that our planet is constantly moving and that quakes (even big ones) are common-place. My point was only to bring up discussion on the topic and to gain insight where ever possible.
I do believe, however, that something is amiss. Our planet is going through something right now that I do not think we need to ignore. Just because many of these quakes/weather patterns(volcanoes, ice melts, heat waves, snow storms, earthquakes, etc) are not rare in terms of geological time, I do think it is rare to see all of these happenings within such a short time frame.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
According to Earthquakereport.com there Is a chance 0 to ten people will be killed and 100 injured....

earthquake-report.com...

Will we see more today?

Hope not becuase yesterdays Iran quake killed 250 ..... We have one like that in the states here in US.... We will see lots a damage and casualties.

Also, really hope these quakes are not blamed on the US! They think we are satan and we have the weaponry to do this kind of stuff.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Will we see more today?
reply to post by MamaJ

I truly hope not, but I'm beginning to wonder about that myself.

We have one like that in the states here in US.... We will see lots a damage and casualties.

If a 6 hits the west coast I don't think there would be a lot... they are fairly well prepared, but if something like that were to hit anywhere else... well, we're not prepared for that sort of thing AT ALL. Here on the east coast, we get tornadoes, and where I am that is really the only concern. We had a small EQ hit near-by several months ago and everyone was talking about it just because it could be felt... people here would panic if we had one big enough to cause any damage.

Also, really hope these quakes are not blamed on the US! They think we are satan and we have the weaponry to do this kind of stuff.

Wouldn't that be something!
Why not, we seem to be at the root of everything else going on.....
Though, I have to agree with much of the rest of the world... we need to back off and take care of our own and quit policing everyone else. Can't say I blame many of these countries who view us in such a way. Breaks my heart because it is not the consensus of the citizens but our government who have put us in such a light.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Biggest nearby population center is Hotan, China with a population a little over 100,000. Its 175 miles away.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
A lot of strange EQ and VC activity over the past five years or so. I know a fair bit of activity is normal and I'm no expert but something is going on.

I don't find the sharp rise in natural disasters all too comforting to be honest but hey, can't really shout at the landlord about it.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

hahahah you're right on that one!
Who would we sue????

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Okay, I'm not finding the EQ prediction for August all that funny anymore. None of these quakes are unusual enough to really bother about.......but the series of them coming together in what? 3 days now? Okay. Now I'm wondering who and where is next for a 6 range wake-up. Stay safe out there folks! It's getting weirder all the time.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The way that I view it is that when I need something to expand I heat it up. So...If the sun is becoming more active as of late that the planet should be reacting to this in a temperature increase causing expansion and movement at the weakest points. As long as it doesn't happen too quickly it should minimize the level of violent reaction. The thing is when the activity ceases and things cool back off there should be some kind of retraction which is usually achieved much quicker than the heating process. That's when things tend to "pop" from my experience with the subject. I would thing that the volcanoes would let us know...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Those quakes were very shallow.
I'm thinking that would do damage if they were close to civilization.
It even shows that one of them was at 0km depth.
quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I'm willing to bet that is one quake listed 4 times. The time is the same, within 1 second. The magnitude is the same and it's 3 very different agencies reporting on each of 3 of the 4. Maybe Australia double posted..

Heck... One that size is still nothing to sneeze at. Especially with all the other activity. I'm not sure if it was the West coast thread a couple days ago or the Iran quake thread where people were talking about stress off one fault line possibly adding to others. Kinda odd... Not enough to prove anything, I know...but lets hope this ends now and isn't just the first runs of an ongoing series. (Nervously looks East to the New Madrid, a couple hundred miles away)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I'm willing to bet that is one quake listed 4 times. The time is the same, within 1 second. The magnitude is the same and it's 3 very different agencies reporting on each of 3 of the 4. Maybe Australia double posted..

Heck... One that size is still nothing to sneeze at. Especially with all the other activity. I'm not sure if it was the West coast thread a couple days ago or the Iran quake thread where people were talking about stress off one fault line possibly adding to others. Kinda odd... Not enough to prove anything, I know...but lets hope this ends now and isn't just the first runs of an ongoing series. (Nervously looks East to the New Madrid, a couple hundred miles away)

Im just ten miles south west of Nashville in Tennessee and thats what I have been thinking this past week. Oddly enough TN has little quakes all the time because ( in my opinion ) of fracking. Who is to say though the New Madrid stays quiet much longer. The possibility is there.... For sure.

Where will the stress be relieved is anyones guess but it makes me alert enough to keep my eyes on the activity via USGS daily!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I keep my eye on that one too Mamaj.
I'm in the area just south east that is considered the "safe zone" from really any major disaster...so it won't "hit" here at home, but we're close enough for it to wreak havoc.

REALLY glad to hear that there are likely to be very many, if any, casualties in China.

And yes, I am watching everywhere right now. I agree with the previous post... 6's aren't uncommon by any stretch of the imagination, but for there to be so many in such a short time period??? Def. worth keeping an eye on it all.

top topics

join