It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you vote for an unmarried presidential candidate? The sociopathic connection.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Would an unmarried presidential candidate not understand American family values in your opinion? I think it would be definitely spun in that direction by the media. Do you even know who were the only unmarried presidents?James Buchanan: The only president never to be marriedGrover Cleveland: Married during his first termThomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren, and Chester Arthur: Unmarried while in office because of deaths to significant others.At first glance this may not seem to be a big issue, but could there be an underlying issue with the ideology of a perfect family man presidential candidate?Let's start with the theory that TPTB pick likely candidates before the people even begin to decide who they will vote for. If you subscribe to this theory wouldn't it be safe to say that individuals who are chosen are partly done so based on how easily they can be manipulated? Wouldn't an individual with a family have much more to lose than one without any ties?What we are dealing with here (TPTB) are sociopaths. I firmly believe this to be true. When we think about the term sociopath we think of murderers (Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, Anders Breivik, ect). What we don't realize is that it may be more prevalent in society than we realize. There seems to be different levels of sociopathy, as in not every sociopath is a perceived raging lunatic. Some hold more traits than others. Here are the general traits of sociopaths.

Glibness and Superficial Charm Manipulative and Conning: They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims. Grandiose Sense of Self: Feels entitled to certain things as "their right." Pathological Lying: Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests. Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt: A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way. Shallow Emotions: When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises. Incapacity for Love: Need for Stimulation: Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common. Callousness/Lack of Empathy: Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them. Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature: Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others. Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc. Irresponsibility/Unreliability: Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed. Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity: Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts. Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle: Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively. Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility: Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.
Here are some more to expand on those initial traits

1. Contemptuous of those who seek to understand them2. Does not perceive that anything is wrong with them 3. Authoritarian4. Secretive5. Paranoid6. Only rarely in difficulty with the law, but seeks out situations where their tyrannical behavior will be tolerated, condoned, or admired.7. Conventional appearance8. Goal of enslavement of their victim(s)9. Exercises despotic control over every aspect of the victim's life10. Has an emotional need to justify their crimes and therefore needs their victim's affirmation (respect, gratitude and love)11. Ultimate goal is the creation of a willing victim12. Incapable of real human attachment to another13. Unable to feel remorse or guilt14. Extreme narcissism and grandiose15. May state readily that their goal is to rule the world
SOURCE What does a married president have to do with this? A sociopaths objective is always to manipulate situations to their benefit. A president/representative that doesn't have family ties has one less attribute to manipulate. The most significant attribute to manipulate in my opinion. It is usually advised to people who are associated with sociopaths to eliminate that individual from your life, and not give them any angles to manipulate, as they surely will if given the opportunity.Our lack of understanding why the world is shaped the way it is could very well be tied to our lack of understanding of sociopathy. We know of no known cure, and we know of no known way to treat the symptoms of sociopathy. It also goes misdiagnosed as ADD and ADHD quite often in children, therefore they never receive the therapy that may help them as they mature into adulthood.Could there be no connection between family man presidents and sociopaths? Maybe not, but then again there seems to be a theme that people are not picking up on, or understanding. It's a different angle that can explain a lot that's not really examined very often.We may need to rethink how we select our leaders, and what we find suitable traits to combat these issues and individuals that oppose our best interests as a society.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Yes I would vote for someone unmarried, no chance of them nuking a country because they had a fight with the wife.

What we are dealing with here (TPTB) are sociopaths. I firmly believe this to be true. When we think about the term sociopath we think of murderers (Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, Anders Breivik, ect). What we don't realize is that it may be more prevalent in society than we realize. There seems to be different levels of sociopathy, as in not every sociopath is a perceived raging lunatic. Some hold more traits than others. Here are the general traits of sociopaths.

Next, you misunderstand the classification difference between sociopaths and psychopaths, there is even much debate as to if Sociopath can even be considered a disorder.

An argument can be made that a sociopath is just a normal product of the environment, much as any other personality types.

They can rise to leadership potential because being a leader does require a certain detachment from those they are leading.

Sociopaths come with that naturally and can thrive in leadership roles, Sociopaths can have a lasting impact on society for good or ill just like anyone else.

It is debated that some of the greatest thinkers and inventors of our time have exhibited classic sociopath tendencies.

The key as with anyone is what they chose to do with it, a sociopath can fit right in, as long as the benefits of fitting into a society trigger their self interest, its not that they don't have emotions, its that they only feel them in direct relationships to themselves.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
What kind of twisted logic is that?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

I totally agree however just wanted to clarify that psycho/sociopathy is a personality disorder and cannot be cured like other mental health issues. According to Thomas Sheridan, author of Puzzling People: Labrynth of the Psychopath he estimates more than 1in 22 people are indeed psychopaths. I highly suggest the book as it's an easy read and extremely fascinating. We live in a sociopathic society and the image of the sociopath has been linked to the serial killer types etc. However chances are ever single person has had contact with a psychopath at some point or another in their lives. Most of them do not want to use killing as a tool... The difference is that should it come down to it, they wouldn't necessarily have an issue doing it nor any remorse should it provide a means to their preferred end. They'd much rather keep their marks/ victims alive and on the back burner to be used over and over in their sick games.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Would you mind listing your sources for the info you've posted? I'd be very interested to know exactly what your perceived differences between psychopaths and sociopaths, as well as evidence that sociopaths can make valuable contributions to society. Sociopaths have no empathy nor concept of emotion outside of their own self serving agenda. They are very adept at mimicking such emotion but it is empty to their core. These "people" only serve themselves and could care less what they do to others in order to further their specific agenda.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Next, you misunderstand the classification difference between sociopaths and psychopaths, there is even much debate as to if Sociopath can even be considered a disorder.
I don't think it's necessarily just me who misunderstands the concept of sociopathy as a disorder, and yes there is much debate between the differences of a sociopath and a psychopath. There is even debate on how prevalent it is in our society. Usual estimates put figures anywhere between 1-4% of the population suffer from this disorder to some extent. As it has been noted that symptoms vary in degrees, thus some murder and others lead productive lives.Usually the term varies depending on who you talk to.

Psychopaths have damaged brains and are wrong either from birth or from early childhood. They need to have both something wrong with their brains and typically another factor, particularly child abuse of some sort, to complete their full-blown development. The psychopath is incurable, at least with our present tools. Maybe in the future we will find some way to treat them. As their brains are different, it’s going to be hard to do. Some psychopaths “burn out” starting in the 40′s. They seem to age out of antisocial behavior. They often become depressed and alcoholic.

The sociopath, by contrast, is usually a biologically more or less normal person who has been raised in a criminogenic environment. He is the product of some sort of incompetent parenting in many cases. He’s also the product of a criminal environment such as the gang-ridden neighborhoods of the city I now reside in. These hoods are factories for the production of sociopaths, and they churn out small armies of them every year. As the sociopath is usually biologically normal, he can theoretically be cured. It’s possible that many simply age out of it.
SOURCE Once again there seems to be a lack of understanding as far as the particular disorder and traits. This isn't to say one person is wrong and one is right, it's simply saying there is still very much about the human brain and genome we know very little about. How we develop, and how society affects the development process.Could highly influential individuals posses these traits? I think there is a strong possibility that individuals who control events have many of these traits. As you could say "it's in their nature". I do agree with your assessment that great things have come from individuals who display these traits. I would also say that equally devastating things have occurred because of people with these same traits. It seems to be a mixed bag (for lack of a better term). My point of contention is that our lack of understanding from these types of disorders may be tied with how some influential individuals have shaped our world.
edit on 12-8-2012 by GD21D because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilverStarGazer
reply to post by benrl

Would you mind listing your sources for the info you've posted? I'd be very interested to know exactly what your perceived differences between psychopaths and sociopaths, as well as evidence that sociopaths can make valuable contributions to society. Sociopaths have no empathy nor concept of emotion outside of their own self serving agenda. They are very adept at mimicking such emotion but it is empty to their core. These "people" only serve themselves and could care less what they do to others in order to further their specific agenda.
I don't think it's valuable contributions they make as much as it's the success they attain by using a lack of empathy. Whether it's financial leaders manipulating monetary systems to their benefit, or actual leaders giving commands to slaughter thousands of people. Success is determined by domination and manipulation, not by valuable contributions made to society.Also thanks for the book recommendation, I will definitely check it out.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

The author has a YT channel as well his username is ThomasSheridanArts and he has many vids explaining in detail about psychopaths as well as leaders with these traits and how they've affected our society. I recommend starting there in the mean time while you seek out his book! He's presented a vast wealth of info online.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilverStarGazer
reply to post by GD21D

The author has a YT channel as well his username is ThomasSheridanArts and he has many vids explaining in detail about psychopaths as well as leaders with these traits and how they've affected our society. I recommend starting there in the mean time while you seek out his book! He's presented a vast wealth of info online.
His videos are coming up as private when I tried to stream them on youtube. This is one I have been able to stream so far.
Thanks very much, and I'll continue to look into Thomas Sheridan as it's an area I'm getting very interested in. At least one person picked up on what I was attempting to convey. That's a success in my book.EDIT: Or maybe not. Something seems to be up with the videos. I'm thinking you have to subscribe to his channel to stream his videos.
edit on 12-8-2012 by GD21D because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join