It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars or Mojave, Curious Photos

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I saw this photo and thought, wow that mountain range look like mountains here in California, specifically those in the Central Valley. Anyone who has ever driven through the Central Valley down I-5 knows what I mean.

Mars or Mojave Article

Central Valley Mountains
Central Valley Mountains

I just want to ask the experts here, should Mars have similar mountain formations to earths?
How did Mars mountains form?

Other similar Photos
This is a link to the Los Alamos National Laboratory

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Observationalist

!!!!!!

I said it looked an awful lot like Arizona the first time I saw some of the pics.

So they spent 2.5 billion dollars to get pictures of the desert. Hell I would have sent them a post card for 1/2 that much.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
If at some point they post an image with enough of a horizon line, that hasn't been "altered" to much, one could in theory get the size of the planet it was taken on in theory that is.

would require an ideal picture to get the measurements.

Here is a link to a paper that describe the process it would require.

Its a pdf.

Measuring the Earth's Diameter from a Sunset Photo

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Ha.

I grew up in the Mojave Dessert area so nice try.

It's Mars.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

Not trying anything (maybe just a little). But more so, Im just curious how the Mars landscape formed. We know about the effect of plate tectonics and erosion, here on earth. If mountains on Mars resemble ours on earth, then can we assume they formed the same way?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher

Ha.

I grew up in the Mojave Dessert area so nice try.

It's Mars.

Ha.

Too bad OP said I5 and central valley. Considering that I've made that drive countless times; most recently 2 days ago coming back from visiting family in Northern Nevada, I can assure you that the mojave is opposite side of the state so nice try.

You haven't a clue.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observationalist

Not trying anything (maybe just a little). But more so, Im just curious how the Mars landscape formed. We know about the effect of plate tectonics and erosion, here on earth. If mountains on Mars resemble ours on earth, then can we assume they formed the same way?

Yes. Why not ? Why is it so unbelievable that planets in our same solar system are mostly made of the same shet, ?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Felt this was relevant as well.

Mars has tectonic plates just like earth

“You don’t see these features anywhere else on other planets in our solar system, other than Earth and Mars,” Yin said. These plate tectonics explain the landslides that we already knew occurred on Mars. But could they mean that the planet also suffers from major earthquakes? “I think so,” Yin said. “I think the fault is probably still active, but not every day. It wakes up every once in a while, over a very long duration — perhaps every million years or more.”

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

I titled my thread based on the Article headline that I linked to above the first photo. I probably should have made that more clear. I simply think the mountains in the Mars photo are similar to our mountains either mojave or Central Valley Mountains, I just have seen the Central Valley mountains more so than the Mojave.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Awsome! That explains some things.

But just how did those tectonic plates form? Yin plans to answer that question in his follow-up round of research, which will appear in the journal Lithosphere.

Thats a good question. Isn't there some debate on the theory of earths plate tectonics?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Mars.

Next question?

AAC

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

Thanks for the info.
Here are my questions if you missed it.

I just want to ask the experts here, should Mars have similar mountain formations to earths?
How did Mars mountains form?

edit on 12-8-2012 by Observationalist because: Grammer

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Question. Why don't deniers ever post pics of the sunset/sunrise on Mars and try to compare THAT to some place on earth.

No ?

Why, because it's obvious we're looking at a different planet and they can't fake that sunset/sunrise ?

edit on 12-8-2012 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher

Originally posted by Observationalist

Yes. Why not ? Why is it so unbelievable that planets in our same solar system are mostly made of the same shet, ?

Im actually a fan of yours, every time I see the white owl I make sure I read the post.

I think its fair to ask the question given the conspiracy about the Moon photos and what not.
Now, I actually enjoyed earth science growing up but was never a good student, so my curiosity is toward how these mountains formed. The skeptic in me can see the possibility that these photos could be faked.

My goal was to get some more information regarding the landscape of Mars, Compare and contrast and make a decision. A little research and speculation.
May seem a waste of time for you, but you don't have skeptic issues like me.

Thanks for your comments.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
So where are the bushes as in the earth pics. Cuz I can see them without having to zoom in.
I live in the central valley I know what the hills look like here. They are covered in grass not dirt.
Close but no cigar.
Its mars how hard is it for you people to understand.
GAH! This is getting amusing, yet annoying and sad at the same time.

The hills were created by either a meteorite, or early tectonic activity before the planet cooled.
edit on 12-8-2012 by TheCaucasianAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Since this is a conspiracy site I have to say its the Californian desert. However, logic tells me its mars.....

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Here's a sunrise pic on Mars taken by the Spirit Rover. Is this what a sunrise looks like in the Mojave?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
We need more of those pics of sunrise and sunset on Mars. They would look great.More of the pics showing clear and wide horizon unobstructed by mountain ranges. More pics of the moons of Mars. Forget sand. Can NASA do that?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Here's another clue: if there are no trees, tumbleweeds, cacti, roads or contrails, it's probably Mars.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

They expect us to think that they killed every plant, removed every shrubs trunk from the ground, and then vacuumed the ground of every speck and piece of grass that had been left. Creating a pristine landscape of thousands of square miles to create the illusion that it is Mars.

Ok its possible. I give them that. But can they go on google earth and find that exact spot that they done that to? And once that has been done can the correlate the topography to produce an exact match to the landscape in the pictures?

Then and ONLY then I will bow down and believe them. Until then... its Mars

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join