Technology and Two Days of Eye Twitching.

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Some of you may know that I recently took a sabbatical from the Internet for 16 months. The current joke is that the judge went light on me - but the reality is that money got tight and food mattered more than the Internet.

But anyway...

I moved in with a friend ( sharing expenses ) last week and finally have access to the Internet again! This is a great thing! So I'm walking around grinning from ear to ear - using this friends computer, at night, to get online and get my ATS fix...

But then it came time to hook up my own system.

My computer was not WiFi enabled - and that's the kind of network we've got here. I've never messed with WiFi before so I went through the somewhat nerve racking experience of buying a Wireless USB adaptor - praying that it would do the trick. I was sweating bullets for the three days it took to arrive and was pleasantly surprised that it did indeed work and I had my own computer online in minutes...

That's when the nightmare began.

You want to have some real fun? Unplug your computer for 16 months and then try to get online with it. You'll have about twenty seconds of joy before every program on your machine starts trying to update at the same time!

Then you'll spend the next day or two finding all of those other, littler things, that didn't automatically scream at you - right off the bat - that want to update also.

Then you'll figure out that the things you used to love using now are less than desirable. Mine was Firefox. I went through the entire update process with it only to discover that it was such a memory hog that I was waiting minutes for single pages to load. So I then had to go out and Google up what new, small web browsers were around that wouldn't want to use up half a gig of resources just to work. I found Opera and - so far so good.

Anybody else ever suffer through this nightmare?

~Heff

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Hell yeah, I had my Win XP box offline for years and just connected it to the internet the other week, did the windows update. Fortunately I had most of my programs set not to automatically update.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
LOL. Yes.

That's too funny. I abandoned Firefox for Chrome. I really really like Chrome. Lightweight, and has a ton of add-ons like Firefox.

Wow, so did you work somewhere you could use the internet every now and then. Or were you totally without??!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by yahtzeestone

Totally without for sixteen months - other than a few chances to jump online at friends houses - a local Internet cafe that closed rather quickly, and the public library where everything is blocked and useless to begin with.

It was like the circle of Hell that Dante forgot to tell us about!

~Heff

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I feel for you. Glad you are back, and can moderate the awesome ATS.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Many times, you’re not alone.

I found it easier to just reload everything, which included formatting the hard drive… that was when I was running windows xp. Windows 7, not too much of a problem…it updates when I’m not using it, which is great when I leave it off line for a couple of months.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I forgot to mention that I spent some good time earlier this year living in the wilderness in Montana... no cell phone, tv, radio, music of any type, and only 2 paperback novels and some reference material about plants. It was weird coming back!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Hey there Heff! At least your computer still works.

I had about 6 years worth of art and music (my own personal recordings and productions) go down the digital drain when I didn't use my old desktop for a few weeks. Hard drive took a dump on me. I only have a handful of files from that machine. I cry when I think about it sometimes. No joke.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy
I forgot to mention that I spent some good time earlier this year living in the wilderness in Montana... no cell phone, tv, radio, music of any type, and only 2 paperback novels and some reference material about plants. It was weird coming back!

Did you hunt and grow your on food? I have always wanted to live free like that...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

I hunted rabbits and fished, didn't grow my own food but I did eat tons of dandelions, plantain, thistle. I actually wanted to grow food but you have to stay in one spot and tend your garden and there is so much cool terrain out there to see.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Just glad to have you back. I woulda been stressed and eye twitchin' too if I went through a few days o' that.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Just a few months ago I switched from IE to Firefox. What a difference! IE was freezing up all the time. Not so with FF.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Hmmm, I'm going with the 'doing time' scenario

I agree that the best option after that length of time, would have bern a complete reformat of your PC.

Anyway, hope you stay out of trouble and enjoy getting back into the REAL (digital) WORLD!

new topics

top topics

join