It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Adults who refuse to grow up, Is Christianity the Adult version for Santa Clauss

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
One of the things that most notice is the story of Santa Clauss given to children around Christmas is very similar to the story told to Christians for Jesus. So, is Jesus the Santa for those who refuse to grow up, as they learn Santa is all made up?

Some suggest there are issues of similarity.

biblefocus.net...

These are some characteristics of Santa Claus. He:
•is immortal.
•is omniscient, seeing all things that happen.
•is good and loving.
•can cause miracles.
•rewards people for doing good.
•demands belief that he is real.
These are all attributes that are shared with the Christian view of God. One might ask then, is a belief in Santa Claus equivalent to a belief in a god? To a child's eyes, it must be very similar.

-------

Alternatively, it may be considered that once the myth is shattered in later years it will become a source of distrust.

Kids know Santa might be real because of the story and presents show up under the tree, if they are good children.

Now, does Jesus leave any rewards, like eternal life, that anyone has found anyone telling about?

Just how faked up is the Jesus story when the Trinity is faked up in the Bible?

When Jesus declairs that: ""Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father." (John 20:17) it appears that he didn't do the death on the cross thing, else he would have been with god in death.

Did Jesus become as Santa Clauss and only those liking nice stories take it all in as much as children take in Santa.

It appears Jesus is the very root for the Santa theme with gifts being brought afar to the child.

Since, all the Christians declair that they are the body of Christ Jesus, when the Santa person that sits the kids on his lap in Department Stores really Jesus wearing a Santa Suit and a Grey Beard?

Should adults grow up, or keep Jesus in a Santa Suit?

edit on 12-8-2012 by MagnumOpus because: Was Jesus really the first Santa theme with gifts for the child.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I'd hate to take something away from people if it comforts them but ultimately I see this worship as very destructive. I am the kind of person that always wants to know the truth, no matter how painful it may be to learn. I've seen everything that leads me to believe humans can't be trusted as a whole and nothing to indicate that any of the claims made about Jesus are even physically possible.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MagnumOpus

While I do totally agree that the Santa Claus myth is based upon Christian lore, I see the similarity stopping there. Religion is a matter of personal preference and faith. Santa Claus requires no faith because he is "proven" every December the twenty-fifth.

Faith is a complex and personal choice that people make in their lives. Everybody with faith has a reason for feeling the way that they do. I don't know many religious people who are deeply faithful simply because they were told to be. Most have had very trying circumstances that led them into belief. And if it helps them be happy and to lead more fulfilled lives, then good for them.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Sure it is.

What better way to herd the sheep but with promises of everlasting love and peacefulness.
Plays well in the hands of the Almighty,who ever that is.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Sure it is.

What better way to herd the sheep but with promises of everlasting love and peacefulness.
Plays well in the hands of the Almighty,who ever that is.

Do you think the threat of hell and eternal damnation is just as powerful? I think in the US people are manipulated more through fear than the promise of good things to come, though maybe a generation or two ago it was different.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
"He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake.

He knows if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake."

Sounds like God to me

He'll also reward you with gifts once a year if he's happy with you or bring you a hunk of coal if you've been a jerk

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Where does all your hatred come from? What benefit does it bring? If having faith in Santa Claus makes people feel good what difference does it make to you?

Are you here to save people from themselves. Don't you see the irony in that you pathetic fools. What you are saying is that Christians are so stupid that they cannot tell the difference between a common fairytale and what YOU define as a fairytale. So in essence you are here on ATS as a savior.

How long till you expect people to refer to you as saviors? "Oh thank God, some bitter genius saved me from believing in a fairytale. I'm so lucky to have found this thread."

Why not trying live and let live? What are you trying to prove? Go to bed before your mommy finds you speaking with strangers on the Internet and puts new restrictions on your computer.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333
"Where does all your hatred come from?"

"Don't you see the irony in that you pathetic fools."

I see the irony in your comments.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
This is a perfect example of a useless "haters" thread that should not be allowable by ATS, as per their own policies: Can we please have an irrelevant policy "sticky" removed?

If you believe that hatred, based on disagreements of faith, is something you don't want to see on ATS, please weigh in on that thread.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by zarp3333
Where does all your hatred come from? What benefit does it bring? If having faith in Santa Claus makes people feel good what difference does it make to you?

Are you here to save people from themselves. Don't you see the irony in that you pathetic fools. What you are saying is that Christians are so stupid that they cannot tell the difference between a common fairytale and what YOU define as a fairytale. So in essence you are here on ATS as a savior.

How long till you expect people to refer to you as saviors? "Oh thank God, some bitter genius saved me from believing in a fairytale. I'm so lucky to have found this thread."

Why not trying live and let live? What are you trying to prove? Go to bed before your mommy finds you speaking with strangers on the Internet and puts new restrictions on your computer.

"Don't you see the irony in that you pathetic fools."

What I find ironic is Christians being aggressive and hateful - it's anything but Christ-like.

And you know what the real difference is between Santa and Jesus believers?

No Santa believers have gotten in to political office to force their beliefs on others. No one has killed in the name of Santa Claus.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I like this thread
It shows that no matter what your faith, even atheists, all have those who are no better than what they accuse others of.
This thread and the comments show that people are all the same.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch

That's what we've been trying to say, so everyone can dump the divisive religions and politics at any time.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

This is an obvious troll thread to get exactly that kind of response. While I am not a christian, I don't expect them to be perfect. I think that Zarp is a very good person based on reading many of his previous posts, sometimes troll threads like this bring out the worst in us.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
What ever gets you through the day to day struggles,more power to you.

We are all in common in so many ways but not by our beliefs.
That is the division,the conflict.

Kind of like me telling you the sky is blue,but you see it as white.

Ok,you see the world this way,I see it different than that.

But we still breathe the same air,we drink the same water,we live on the same planet.

What is wrong with someone believing differently,other than those who chose to battle over they're beliefs than accept them?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy
I'd hate to take something away from people if it comforts them but ultimately I see this worship as very destructive. I am the kind of person that always wants to know the truth, no matter how painful it may be to learn.

The true teachings of Jesus will cost you everything, your relationships, your dreams, your properties, and finally your life!

This is the only 'religion' that will ask you to sell ALL your possessions, give all the proceeds to the poor, then live like a wanderer for the rest of your life in order to have eternal life. Does this sound good to you??

Eternal life may not be what most people think. You are to tend the 'Garden of Eden'. It's like a very huge forest and you won't have any gadgets, houses, luxury SUVs, technology especially, and entertainment systems there. You won't have a bed to sleep, in fact, you won't sleep at all. 'Worst' of all, you could be asked to return to Earth and take part in the End Times and die a horrible death like two witnesses (Enoch being one of them) and also Daniel.

Mainstream Christians do not really know Jesus and what is in store in Eternity. Cowards especially are not allowed inside. Cowardice is a big sin. So now think, why would the Kingdom of God and Heaven, would require men of women who are exceptionally brave, not afraid of anything, even torture but fear God only?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

While the obvious jab towards Christianity is not lost on me, I think there is some discussion value here.

I actually think it's the opposite, though. Instead of saying that Christians believe in something that is similar to a belief in Santa, it's actually the Santa myth that was built around Christian ideology. Kind of like "Jesus Lite" for kids, I guess.

Whether this was intentional or just a part of the gradual evolution of the Christmas holiday, I'm not sure.

But to say that Christians follow a Santa Claus belief is a bit unfair since they obviously modeled it after their own religion.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
And the Annunaki, are they the easter bunny and his fairy friends?

From your thread:

I do think that when the more literate of the sciences take note of the issues of the Annunaki problems with their planet's atmosphere is so similar to the anthropologic issues the Earth has via Climate Change linked with the Ozone Hole factor.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Um, wouldn't the more "literate sciences" have to even recognize these aliens you refer to before they could concede their planet had problems?

One man's fairytale is another man's treasure...

edit on 12-8-2012 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Santa Claus was never a christian figure beyond it being linked to St. Nicholas who would gve gifts to children in wooden shoes in the middle ages. The original character of Santa was pagan and he ran around with an evil pal named Krampus who had claws (hence the "claus") and would beat children who had been bad, sometimes Krampus would eat them.

I think if anything the OP is not only melodramatic, but childish in his attempt to mock christians like he does day in and day out, if not using ad hominem attacks against ats members themselves, going out of his way to mock their beliefs. He is not about targetting religions, only attacking christianity. He never posts anything about any other religions, showing he has a clear hatred for christians and Jesus. In short, he's just a hater and should be banned from ats. Not only is his research laughable, it is wrong.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
I like this thread
It shows that no matter what your faith, even atheists, all have those who are no better than what they accuse others of.

Exactly! Whether atheist or religious we all act out according to our emotions and not our beliefs. So, what good is religion if we're all acting the same?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

I hate you chose one religion instead of using a generalization which could equally apply to your thread. With that being said I suppose if one were go off of your op. the question may be was Santa based on a religious figure to pose these questions cheapens spirtuality as a whole but I respect you asking the question.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join