It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Made a Gigapan from the high resolution images from Sol 3! (Curiosity rover on Mars)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bottleslingguy
p.s. any reason why NASA would white out that part of the rover in some pics but not in others?

It looks like sensor overload, that's why those things appears in the left camera photos in one place and for the right camera photos they appear in a different place, if they do appear.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

p.s. any reason why NASA would white out that part of the rover in some pics but not in others?

It looks like sensor overload, that's why those things appears in the left camera photos in one place and for the right camera photos they appear in a different place, if they do appear.

looks like it was scribbled out to cover that specific piece of hardware but it shows up in other pics ok. odd how it appears to intentionally cover that spot and not some random overloading thingy.

and again with the friggin glitches and overloads. for that money you'd think they'd have a handle on this stuff. what if it was blanking out something important like a petrified alien turd????

edit on 14-8-2012 by bottleslingguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

and again with the friggin glitches and overloads. for that money you'd think they'd have a handle on this stuff. what if it was blanking out something important like a petrified alien turd????

There's no way of avoiding overload, at least until they make a new type of sensor.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

well I'm definitely not taking your word for anything and I'm getting pretty pissed at these twenty billion dollar fiascoes using second rate equipment.

Ok...

How in the hell can we get anything figured out when NASA uses crap?
edit on 14/8/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

You need to go learn how the cameras work and what the viewing ranges are of them and how panoramics work because you're just on the BS right now. Learn first - get it right. Then talk smack.

Originally posted by impaired
But those black dots in the sky are indeed artifacts - that much I know. Trust ME.

in some way prove that's what they are. how about some other rover pics with the same kind of artifact or are they a one time thing? trust is a tall order around these here parts so spare me the "trust me" part.

edit on 14-8-2012 by bottleslingguy because: (no reason given)

Damn, it's like I insulted a dead relative to you guys when I said trust me. I'm just a 33 year old dude who does ordinary things! I don't even have a job because I got laid off! Why would i lie? What the hell?

And once again, we have the problem of not knowing (being ignorant) to things, so here:

The missing white areas on mine (theirs are black) are missing data. Now, the data is there, but they are only thumbnails. Go have a look - they don't look any different than the other ones. But I can't stitch a 144x144 pixel gif to 1200x1200 .TIFFS. Believe me - I already tried.

Oops. I did it again. I said "Believe me".

Some people are just way way way to paranoid. Get a grip.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

lighten up Francis. I'm not screaming at you, I'm simply asking for a little more than a "trust me". That's not being unreasonable and being as knowledgeable as you seem to be it shouldn't've been as uncomfortable as pulling teeth to get you to show some examples. If I was a know it all about something I would relish the chance to toot my horn. but alas, I am but a lowly tax payer who expects ALL THE FRIGGIN DATA IN A STUPID PICTURE OF MARS, THERE COULD BE A UFO HOVERING THERE. now that's screaming...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bottleslingguy

NASA didn't "white out" any parts of the image, the images have in fact not be taken YET.

They explained this yesterday in a press conference nicely:

Before the rover even arrived, they already pre-programmed it so it will take images as soon as when it landed - but this was before they even knew the EXACT landing spot/angle/view etc. of the rover!

One result of this was eg. that they didn't get some particular areas photographed yet since they couldn't know beforehand what will be in the shots and what not. So, again, you just have to be patient, pretty sure that all the images will come in sooner or later.
edit on 14-8-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Hey guys - I finally got the 457 MB .TIFF (uncompressed) panorama up - and you can spin it 360 degrees!

www.360cities.net...

This is the max resolution available right now.

I also removed some noise from the image. Looks real good.

Edit - Better than the GigaPan in the OP, but I'm not making another thread.

Also, it seems to work better in full-screen mode (for me, at least).

Enjoy!
edit on 8/15/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
reply to post by bottleslingguy

NASA didn't "white out" any parts of the image, the images have in fact not be taken YET.

They explained this yesterday in a press conference nicely:

Before the rover even arrived, they already pre-programmed it so it will take images as soon as when it landed - but this was before they even knew the EXACT landing spot/angle/view etc. of the rover!

One result of this was eg. that they didn't get some particular areas photographed yet since they couldn't know beforehand what will be in the shots and what not. So, again, you just have to be patient, pretty sure that all the images will come in sooner or later.

didn't you see the picture I linked to?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Latest panorama. Only one image missing in center.

gigapan.com...

www.360cities.net...

Just one more to go!
edit on 8/17/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join