It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Made a Gigapan from the high resolution images from Sol 3! (Curiosity rover on Mars)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Enhance... ENHANCE!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AkumaStreak
Enhance... ENHANCE!!!

Ahahah - What the hell was that?!

And can't enhance - I've done all I can do.
edit on 8/13/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
We'll see which ATS'er knows first. :-)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
I don't know much about geology, but couldn't it just be ejecta from the asteroid collision?

Ejecta is usually outside the crater, as it was ejected.

If so, it looks like the force was so strong is just broke rocks in chunks.

To me, it looks more likely that those rocks were broken by changes in temperature, as they show no other marks.
edit on 13/8/2012 by ArMaP because: missed a "a"

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by fallow the light

One thing I noticed on these photos is that it looks like we can see at least three different types of rock, so it's natural that some look different. More porous rocks react in a different way to erosion, so while the larger rock looks unaffected by wind, the more soft rocks may be affected.

The rock closest to the right bottom corner looks make of smaller rocks cemented together into one, like the ones on this page.

Edited to add that I am not a geologist, I'm just a fan of Geology.

edit on 13/8/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Ya know...

For a place with such a *thin* atmosphere- there's an awful lot of haze in the background! Amazing, aint it?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by fallow the light

The circle in the bottom right... well- it looks like petrified poop. I am not trying to be funny. I have seen feces that has gotten to that point (and laminated stuff at Animal Kingdom), and it simply looks like petrified crap.

I am no where near being a geologist.. I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Great work!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Look at the pretty rocks and dirt....

In all seriousness it is cool to see what it looks like from the gorund on Mars.That is about all there is on Mars.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

I don't know much about geology, but couldn't it just be ejecta from the asteroid collision?

Ejecta is usually outside the crater, as it was ejected.

I knew that...

Originally posted by ArMaP

If so, it looks like the force was so strong is just broke rocks in chunks.

To me, it looks more likely that those rocks were broken by changes in temperature, as they show no other marks.
edit on 13/8/2012 by ArMaP because: missed a "a"

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I still think the bottom image LOOKS like poop (not saying it is.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
Ya know...

For a place with such a *thin* atmosphere- there's an awful lot of haze in the background! Amazing, aint it?

Yeah. It looks awesome. But I think it's that Martian dust kicking up.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

Planet of the Apes, from which I stole the phrase, "Get your paws off of me you damn dirty Ape!" I used that for years every time my brother started pushing me around.

I spent a lot of time looking at Gigipan but couldn't find anything that looked artificial, or out of place. Even so, this is an amazing picture and I really appreciate the hard work Impaired put into it.
edit on 8/13/2012 by Sparky63 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
reply to post by AkumaStreak

Planet of the Apes, from which I stole the phrase, "Get your paws off of me you damn dirty Ape!" I used that for years every time my brother started pushing me around.

I spent a lot of time looking at Gigipan but couldn't find anything that looked artificial, or out of place. Even so, this is an amazing picture and I really appreciate the hard work Impaired put into it.
edit on 8/13/2012 by Sparky63 because: spelling

Thanks, man. I appreciate it that you appreciate it.

The only artificial things around the site may be bolts and screws from when the parachute opened. Perhaps that's what the top left image is - a component to the Sky Crane or something. But I like the bottom one. It DOES look like a turd. Not saying it is, but it looks funny.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Now I don't claim to know everything at all, but the top circled object definitely looks cylindrical - AND there appears to be a hole in it.

Now, some will say it's a shadow, but look at the rest of the image - the shadows are casting to the left side.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Nice memory Sparky63! You get a star.

As for the cylindrical thing with a hole in it -- I'd wait until Curiosity rolls right up on it.

Personally, I think it's self-shadowing, because if so, the shadow looks to make sense to me.
edit on 8/13/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
WOW! This was freak'n awesome and a fun waste of time LOL thanks! I do want one that is a little more interesting. It will be awhile till it is somewhere like Victoria crater was to be interesting instead of flat terrain!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Now, some will say it's a shadow, but look at the rest of the image - the shadows are casting to the left side.

It's a shadow.

Seriously, I think it's a shadow, and the fact that the shadows are being cast to the left helps me think that, as if the rock had a concave area there it would be in the shadow cast by the side of the rock.

Edit: look at the rock inside the red circle, it has a similar shadow.

(You have to scroll the image to the right)

edit on 13/8/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
thanks!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Thank you. That does sound logical.

I do have a question that I think you could help me out with, if you don't mind. It's been bugging me but when I search I can't find the exact answer:

Ok, so there is a window of 8 minutes for Curiosity to send data to Odyssey. And it sends data to one of the other satellites?

If so, how often does this 8 minute window come? Shouldn't it be only a few hours max to complete an orbit? Satellites travel fast. Or do the satellites orbit in like a cork-screw-type of fashion?

If that's the case, then it all makes sense, but if the satellites are coming back every few hours, then Curiosity should be sending back heaps of data, yet we're only on SOL 3 with images, and the missing data for the panoramic hasn't even come in yet.

Question everything, right? I'm just curious - and I didn't mean to say "curious" in a facetious way. I'm sure there's a logical explanation that I missed.

Thanks, ArMaP.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

As far as I know, they can even use two other satellites, Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and ESA's Mars Express.

Odyssey completes an orbit every 118 minutes.

I think the delay is because of the software update they were supposed to make up to today, to upload the "roving" software.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join