It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Made a Gigapan from the high resolution images from Sol 3! (Curiosity rover on Mars)

page: 2
37
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by D.Wolf

Originally posted by impaired
And I even stitched them together myself.

And it seems I did a better job. Go figure - theirs isn't lined up in some places correctly. Mine looks alright. You tell me!


I like people who go out of their way to create the hard way, just because it can be done. . I've panned the pic and it is indeed stitched together extremely neatly. If there where some flaws to detect you would only rock like normal. But for this...

You MartianRock!


Thanks, man! I've never even messed with images - I'm an audio engineer. Images (Photoshop, etc) were always like Greek to me. I just caught right on to it. This is fun.




posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired
 


It is fun to Greek around with images. I myself am a bit more Spartan and use good ol' paint to fool around with pics. I know how much time can go into these sort of first time experiments. The reward however is lasting. You made a photograph of Mars happen more than most earthlings can say they did. Hope there might be even more reward for ya.

Recognition by Nasa would be whoohoow!



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by D.Wolf
reply to post by impaired
 


It is fun to Greek around with images. I myself am a bit more Spartan and use good ol' paint to fool around with pics. I know how much time can go into these sort of first time experiments. The reward however is lasting. You made a photograph of Mars happen more than most earthlings can say they did. Hope there might be even more reward for ya.

Recognition by Nasa would be whoohoow!





That's all I want - I don't want money or anything. Just for NASA to say - "Hey! Good job!".

I would be smiling for weeks.



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

Originally posted by Kino321
reply to post by impaired
 

lol sounds painfull, thanks for your hard work.
but i really dont want to open a 500MB pic.




No, hehe. The GigaPan is just web-based - you're not downloading the file.



You are downloading the file but only through your web browser and not to your computer. If you were on dial-up you would have no chance of viewing that.



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatpastyhead

Originally posted by impaired

Originally posted by Kino321
reply to post by impaired
 

lol sounds painfull, thanks for your hard work.
but i really dont want to open a 500MB pic.




No, hehe. The GigaPan is just web-based - you're not downloading the file.



You are downloading the file but only through your web browser and not to your computer. If you were on dial-up you would have no chance of viewing that.


Oh hell no! Screw that!

And what's dial-up? People still have that?

edit on 8/12/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by fatpastyhead
 


Someone still having dial up must be on Mars already.

Dial up... dhighi



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatpastyhead
You are downloading the file but only through your web browser and not to your computer. If you were on dial-up you would have no chance of viewing that.

In systems like this you only download what you see on the screen, that's why, if you have a slow connection, you can see the images changing from lower to higher resolution when you zoom in.

It's a relatively old system, implemented in many ways by different sites/companies.



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired
 


Great work, impaired!


I'm glad that I was part of that, even just as a kind of catalyst.



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatpastyhead

You are downloading the file but only through your web browser and not to your computer. If you were on dial-up you would have no chance of viewing that.


Wrong. Plain wrong. A web browser is an application running on your machine, of course its downloaded to your cache folder or RAM. If your browser is set so save them into hard drive cache folder, you can get it right out of there and its the original file.



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
I made it before NASA/JPL announced it on their site (it was a race for me), but there is no way to prove it. Theirs was up while I was trying to find a place to host the image.



Reminds me of a few years back when the Huygens lander reached the surface of Titan, it was ordinary (but dedicated) folks on the internet who stitched together the pics before NASA did.



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by impaired
I made it before NASA/JPL announced it on their site (it was a race for me), but there is no way to prove it. Theirs was up while I was trying to find a place to host the image.



Reminds me of a few years back when the Huygens lander reached the surface of Titan, it was ordinary (but dedicated) folks on the internet who stitched together the pics before NASA did.




Really? That's awesome. I didn't know that.

I got a message back from NASA. He said that "the team threw that together quickly for the public" and that better ones are coming.

Oh, and he did indeed say that other people do the same thing.



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired
 


Many people like to bash NASA, either or without a good reason for it, but one thing can be said about them, they are the only space agency that publishes photos almost in real time, giving people the opportunity to try something themselves.



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by impaired
 


Many people like to bash NASA, either or without a good reason for it, but one thing can be said about them, they are the only space agency that publishes photos almost in real time, giving people the opportunity to try something themselves.


Listen up, folks. This is correct.

Leave NASA alone. They work very hard. THEY'RE really my heroes.



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Amazing job. This is VERY impressive, especially if this is your first time trying something like this.
I am interested to know what NASA thinks about your work.
Let us know if you hear from them?

Thanks for posting, cheers!



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired
 


I appreciate the reply. I am not actually talking about the blast marks though. Wish I had been more specific and had the ability to screen capture. WAAAAAAAYY in the distance, right at the base of the mountains, for half of the panorama the rocks are much darker than the rest of the scenery. I am interested in their composition. Or if this is just shadows from the mountain then its not very uniform.


Took some screenshots but cannot embed images.

Not Zoomed In

Zoomed In

Of course this is only a small section and the actual darker rocks spread out along the base of the mountains for awhile. This is the stuff that excites me most. Any idea if its shadows or maybe a different layer of strata at the base of mountains... Regardless, so cool.



edit on 12/8/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/8/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings
 


I think those are the dark dunes we see in the photos taken from orbit, the ones you can see at the bottom of this photo.



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired
 


Nice find..can anyone tell me when I go to the raw images under jpl/nasa you cannot download them to their full resolution...when you click on the picture it comes up as a little pic in the corner.????
edit on 12-8-2012 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco
 


Are you using this page?

Click on the images that say "subframe", it will lead you to another page where, if you click on the image, it will take you to the full size image (1200 x 1200) image.



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired
 


Nice work Impaired!

Have you got any answer from NASA yet?

Edit, just read that you got an answer.
edit on 12-8-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Unfamiliarity with photo processing prompts me to ask about what I am seeing in the right hand side of your images...
edit on 12-8-2012 by totallackey because: clarity



new topics

top topics



 
37
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join