It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Made a Gigapan from the high resolution images from Sol 3! (Curiosity rover on Mars)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
And I even stitched them together myself.

I made it before NASA/JPL announced it on their site (it was a race for me), but there is no way to prove it. Theirs was up while I was trying to find a place to host the image.

It took me hours and hours to find out about GigaPan.

So I can't prove that I beat NASA/JPL at the image (compare mine with theirs - I even got the stitching better, hehe), but I like their color better.

But I did beat them to the GigaPan! Enjoy!

And I have a 500 MB .TIFF in case this can be done better.

gigapan.com...

And it seems I did a better job. Go figure - theirs isn't lined up in some places correctly. Mine looks alright. You tell me!

Thanks to ArMap! I thought the thumbnail versions of the images were to be made into an animated .GIF. He told me it was actually to make a panoramic image. Because of that/him, we have this awesome GigaPan!
edit on 8/12/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Here's theirs: Still very nice:

Maybe I can beat them to the punch when the missing high resolution images come in?
edit on 8/11/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Look at the hexagonal-shaped instrument on the bottom left of NASA's and look at the GigaPan. I think I got the highest resolution image of this at the moment. I sent a message to NASA and asked if they wanted it. I would give it to them for free. They gave us (as well as me) Curiosity, so we're even!
edit on 8/11/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

lol sounds painfull, thanks for your hard work.
but i really dont want to open a 500MB pic.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kino321

lol sounds painfull, thanks for your hard work.
but i really dont want to open a 500MB pic.

No, hehe. The GigaPan is just web-based - you're not downloading the file.

And the image above is from NASA (their version) and it's only 10 megs.

I was saying I *HAVE* the 500 MB .TIFF. It's right here for NASA if they want it. And I hope I get that missing data in before they do. I like this race.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
how cool! thanks for this. should be fun to play with. i expect to find old Ben Kenobe in this photo somewhere.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111
how cool! thanks for this. should be fun to play with. i expect to find old Ben Kenobe in this photo somewhere.

I'm going to be staring at this all night.

Let NASA work on their telemetry. I'll help stitch!

I wish. Have a job with NASA professionally stitching the raw images? I would love it!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
That's really cool man. Awesome resolution.

But I'm going to have say it. Mars looks really boring.
I hope they find some cool stuff.

ETA: Wow yours is a lot better, maybe they'll offer you a job.
edit on 11-8-2012 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Just sent NASA some more emails... Hopefully I'll get a response...

Watchitburn - me too. I'm sure they will. They're in the right place!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Wow, you stiched that LIKE A BOSS!
Very good work! Looked like theirs was just slapped together. Hope you hear back from them. lol.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Good work.

I zoomed in on the background first thing and I don`t fully understand what is going on with the ground in front of the cliff. Sometimes it looks like shadows. Sometimes it looks like an extremely different colored rock than any other in its surroundings. Sometimes it looks like water, or recently dried of water which has been carving out the crater for sometime. I cannot wait for the Rover to actually get closer so I can tell. The picture retains high quality when zoomed even to the fullest. Regardless of what it is this is still fun and exciting

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings
Good work.

I zoomed in on the background first thing and I don`t fully understand what is going on with the ground in front of the cliff. Sometimes it looks like shadows. Sometimes it looks like an extremely different colored rock than any other in its surroundings. Sometimes it looks like water, or recently dried of water which has been carving out the crater for sometime. I cannot wait for the Rover to actually get closer so I can tell. The picture retains high quality when zoomed even to the fullest. Regardless of what it is this is still fun and exciting

Dude! Those are the blast marks from the Sky Crane when it went into powered flight (rocket marks)!

That is the exposed ground of Mars - pebbles, rocks, dust, and dirt blasted aside! 2 blast marks on each side.

I say that with exclamations because I'm excited - not to be a jerk!

But thanks for the kudos. I can't wait for that missing data. All I need are those other 40-50 images. I can't wait to fill in the white!

edit on 8/12/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Going for those black and white images from SOL 2 now (full resolution)... Let's see how this comes along...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
That's cool! Thanks for your work! I was all like "wow, I wonder what that blob is on Mars" - then I figured out it was a spot of dried coffee on my screen - lol - oh well

Edit to add - I think your Giga is MUCH better than NASA's, btw...
edit on 12-8-2012 by wakeupcall1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Thank you VERY much. I hope they think so as well... I hope to get an E-mail back from someone tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
at a quick glance this is the only thing id like Curiosity to take a better pic of for me.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
at a quick glance this is the only thing id like Curiosity to take a better pic of for me.

No higher resolution version of that? That's all we have of that image so far?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

i zoomed in as far as i could, unless there's another link....

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

i zoomed in as far as i could, unless there's another link....

I just found it as well. What's so strange about it?

On a side note, I think I see some pieces (bolts or something) strewn around in a certain area - probably from the parachute deployment. Anyways.

Here's what I got. Inconclusive:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
And I even stitched them together myself.

And it seems I did a better job. Go figure - theirs isn't lined up in some places correctly. Mine looks alright. You tell me!

I like people who go out of their way to create the hard way, just because it can be done. . I've panned the pic and it is indeed stitched together extremely neatly. If there where some flaws to detect you would only rock like normal. But for this...

You MartianRock!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join