It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal court decides that Cheerleading is NOT a sport.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

reply to post by SangriaRed

Cheerleading is about motivating a crowd and is not a sport. It is a task or an activity.

Competative cheerleading is a sport and emphasizes the most difficult stunts and most intricate evolutions a cheerleading squad would have to perform. Competative Cheerleading is an impressive performance , I've seen a competition and watched "Bring It" with Kirsten Dunst and Elisha Dusku.

Competative cheerleading is not the same as normal cheerleading and it is not an NCAA sport.

HARTFORD, Conn. — A federal appeals court has upheld a decision that found colleges cannot count competitive cheerleading as a sport when trying to comply with gender-equity requirements.

In a decision released Tuesday, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled on an appeal filed by Quinnipiac University in Connecticut, which had been sued by its volleyball coach after it tried to eliminate the women’s volleyball program in favor of competitive cheering.

The school contended the cheer squad and other moves kept it in compliance with Title IX, the 1972 federal law that mandates equal opportunities for men and women in education and athletics.

The appeals court agreed with U.S. District Judge Stefan Underhill, who found in 2010 that competitive cheerleading did not yet reach the level of a varsity sport.

And the OP is really about "Why is Federal Court doing this in the first place?"

edit on 15-8-2012 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2012 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Semicollegiate

High school cheerleaders compete against other teams.
Wikipedia Highschool Cheerleading

Its competition aspect makes cheerleading its own sport. There is year-round practice, cheer camps, and competitions throughout the winter. There are different cheerleading organizations that put on these competitions, some of the major ones include state competitions and regional competitions. Many high schools host cheerleading competitions, bringing in IHSA judges. The regional competitions are the qualifiers for the national competitions, such as the UCA (Universal Cheerleaders Association) in Orlando, Florida every year.[20] The competition aspect of cheerleading can be very enduring; styles and rules changing every year make it important and difficult to find the newest and hottest routines.[21] Most teams have a professional choreograph their routine in order to ensure they are not breaking any rules and they will be up to par with the other teams. For a list of rules visit AACCA (American Association of Cheerleading Coaches and Administrators). All high school coaches are required to attend an IHSA rules meeting at the beginning of the season. This ensures their knowledge of rules changes and their compliance with these rules. Routines usually last around 2 minutes and 30 seconds and require cheer, dance, jumps, tumbling, and stunting portions.

Not all high school cheerleading squads compete in competitions, but all support their schools. Cheerleaders also dress in matching uniforms. They do this to look "together" and like a team when performing.[22]

Now as far as this ruling goes, meh, whatever.
Golf is a sport but cheerleading is not.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Semicollegiate

Adding to that I am allowed to put in my two cents about why it is a sport, when that is actually a part of the conversation correct?
When someone says "cheerleaders don't compete" I think I'm allowed to correct that misunderstanding. No?
They do.

And it still cracks me up that it's not a sport under whatever title but golf is.

ooooooookay.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

My daughter is a cheerleader and I care if it is a sport or not, she stays physically fit and competes so i am going to go with sport.
edit on 11-8-2012 by SEEWHATUDO because: wrong reply to post, agree with poster not attack;0

I was thinking the same, cheerleading is a very competetive sport, and a lot more sporty and active then golf or snooker.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Semicollegiate
reply to post by Xcathdra

Cheerleading is about motivating a crowd and is not a sport. It is a task or an activity.

Competative cheerleading is a sport and emphasizes the most difficult stunts and most intricate evolutions a cheerleading squad would have to perform...

That can be said from any number of sports that get their fair label as a sport. Driving a car is about going to the store. It's an activity or a task. However competive driving is a whole different thing.
Just one example.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join