It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National American Citizens Open Carry Day

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
We the citizens of America should declare as a whole that we are celebrating a national american citizens open carry day nationwide. This event should only be observed and celebrated by non felon and of sound mind, American citizens who are observant of our right to keep and bear arms and citizens who are concerned about our constitutional rights to lawfully defend ourselves, hunters, gun advocates, military and policemen nationwide.

This should be an entirely peaceful event where someone would only have to be on their front porch or their front lawn or taking a peaceful yet safe walk while openly carrying a handgun or rifle. This event should be organized by the NRA or another citizens constitutional rights group and should be held on a weekend day so their is less interference with celebrants employment and businesses. Entire families could be involved, institutions and groups and should become a yearly event in America to show the world that many of us are united in concern for ourselves and our nation and our constitutional rights.

I am offering this suggestion out of my concern for America and it's upright citizens and also offer the suggestion that this idea be put forth by word of mouth, internet, the press etc. until a day is established and agreed upon and organized by a major institution as I previously mentioned for this peaceful event.

I do not believe a profit or any moneys should be made from such an event, no registrations need to be made to celebrate our rights.

This is just an idea and I do not wish to claim ownership of this idea but would like to this become a reality,

BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.
edit on Sat Aug 11 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: ALL CAPS in title

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by partycrasher

Sounds GREAT!

Does this outfit make me look fat?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I am a supporter of Second Amendment rights and a gun owner however I think this is a bad idea.

Some people are very uncomfortable with the idea of firearms much less the sight of them in public, I don't see how publicly flaunting weapons will lead to a constructive debate in the contemporary political climate.

Regardless of the noise from the antigun crowd, your gun rights are constitutionally protected.

Unless you break the law they aren't going anywhere.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I concealed carry, legally with license in my home state, daily. I have friends that open carry, but it is just not for me. I have known 4 or 5 people personally who have been harassed by police while open carrying, even though they were not breaking any laws. I support those who open carry legally, of course.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Its already to late, its illegal in ca.

One of the many reasons im leaving this state.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Some people are very uncomfortable with the idea of firearms much less the sight of them in public, I don't see how publicly flaunting weapons will lead to a constructive debate in the contemporary political climate.
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

I'm not comfortable around people who ride their bikes on the road (just picked random legal activity).

Should I freak out and call the cops every time I see someone doing that in public?

Or should cyclist just not ride at the risk of making me uncomfortable?

Or heaven forbid he dart in front of my car and cause me to swerve and hit someone leading to a death?!?!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wash777

I think open-carry might be a great thing in a context that is appropriate to doing so. Such as walking down a bad neighborhood.

Personally concealed just makes more sense, as I was always taught that if you are going to use your weapon - it is best to not brandish it / flaunt it in front of your attacker beforehand. (Perhaps applies to knives more than guns)

Context sensitive, right?

But no, I think this little get together of gun owners would be a very good thing.
If everyone open-carried as a mandatory law (Hypothetical world) --- there would be a lot less killings, I think.
Hell, I think people would be much nicer to each other if they knew their bully-victim was sporting a .45

Cops need to have an adamant protocol when dealing with an unknown civilian open-carrying their rightful tool of defense. It should start with explaining the person of their rights, and ending with "Have a nice day."

"Excuse me, police officer, I got a call from several people that you were walking around with a gun- yes that one holstered on your hip- it was making folks around here uncomfortable. I'll need you to radio in your superior, so we can check up on your history, to find whether you are indeed a police officer, and that you are suitable to carry said gun. Once I have thoroughly wasted your time, you should be cleared from any impending citizen arrests."

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I'm allowed concealed by my permit or open carry here. The problem in Missouri is, that isn't universal. It changes from city to city on the open carry part. A town 30 miles up the road is hard core about enforcing their NO open carry.

Now, I'll happily open carry for such an event where I am legal to do so. However, if I break the law to make a point, the point they will make with me comes as my CCW permit gets tossed into the Sheriff Department shredder. Just a thought there..... I get that breaking the law may be the whole idea of the protest, and that approach works well in many things.

I'd just suggest that outright breaking firearm laws, especially right this moment in time, is probably a real bad idea. I'm all for an Open Carry day where it's legal...and Empty Holster day where it isn't. I've seen that protest done on College campuses and would be a way for the Non-Carry areas to join and make their statement too.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by partycrasher
We the citizens of America should declare as a whole that we are celebrating a national american citizens open carry day nationwide. This event should only be observed and celebrated by non felon and of sound mind,

Who decides "of sound mind"?

I have a CHL, does that make me of sound mind?

I believe most whom shout about bearing arms should not have them.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Hey good direction, bad idea right now......
I think that could be a future day but for now, i bekieve that a day should be set aside for celebrating the 2nd by organising all the shooting related activities that can be organised,
Along with open invites to everyone whos interested to come and watch or participate in the sport thats being showcased....
Some people will not be qualified for many of the activities, but would be interested in what we do at the range, and whos doing it with us.....
Lots of family events for everyone....all ages....
Pellet guns bb guns, water pistols (comedy events)all can be fun and can traain people without them realising it even.....meanwhole perhaps if people who dont shoot, got to know ones who did......and they found out they are just like them only armed sometimes....it might settle some erves and de mystefy the guns for those not as familiar with them as we are....
How about gun give awas for prizes ///not a lot of them, but a few....
I could think of all kinds of stuff if i gave it a tr, how about the rest of ouse guys....?
Is there any support out there for a national second amendment day?.....

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
My son open carries at his store, and all his employees do as well. As far as I'm concerned, open carry day starts January 1 and ends December 31, every year.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

Who decides "of sound mind"?

I have a CHL, does that make me of sound mind?

I believe most whom shout about bearing arms should not have them.

Perhaps only the dictators and thugs should be armed.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
I am a supporter of Second Amendment rights and a gun owner however I think this is a bad idea.

Regardless of the noise from the antigun crowd, your gun rights are constitutionally protected.

Unless you break the law they aren't going anywhere.

That's what Open Carry is all about. Over half the states in the US have open carry laws and half of those have either no or very minimal registration requirements. I own and open carry with a gun that isn't licensed, registered has no permits. the Feds don't even have my name on any piece of paper saying I am a gun owner. Not required in my state for this type of handgun, which is a semi automatic with a 12 shot magazine. I wear this gun on my hip and can take it most anywhere - legally.

Yes, people are afraid at the sight of guns. I say Good. they need to be - But they need to get over themselves. They need to know that the guy next door who is a responsible gun owner and carries openly may be the guy who they can count on to come to their aide when some nut job breaks into their house - or to know perhaps your neighborhood is safer because the bad guys will see law abiding citizens proudly carrying their guns and know they are not easy marks. This will be more effective if lots of people in the same neighborhood open carried their guns.

I strongly disagree with concealed carry permits. I think that's a step backward. First off, if anyone has to keep their gun concealed, I don't trust them. Why are they hiding if they are not up to no good? They certainly won't be an effective deterrent. Who conceals guns? Bad guys do. Why would any good citizen want to associate themselves with the bad guys by hiding their guns? I see no logic to having a concealed carry permit at all - unless it's required for your job as a government spy or some other job that uses deception.I think if you have a concealed carry permit because you are worried what your neighbors will think of you or you don't want to scare people needlessly then you shouldn't own a gun and are not a responsible gun owner.

To the Op. Did you run this idea by the people at OpenCarry.org? They may like it.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

A CCW permit is more keeping the criminals guessing isnt it?
Open carry, effective as it is at dissuading criminal behaviour, does let the potential crook know whos armed before he makes his or her move......
The CCW citizen is there to counter that advantage.
I agree with both options........concealed weapo should have a permit....but open carry is your free right.......
( the Permit for CCW is for purposes of identifying yourself to law enforcement....not for permission.....).
so they dont confuse you with a criminal concealing one.....

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

A CCW permit is more keeping the criminals guessing isnt it?
Open carry, effective as it is at dissuading criminal behaviour, does let the potential crook know whos armed before he makes his or her move......
The CCW citizen is there to counter that advantage.
I agree with both options........concealed weapo should have a permit....but open carry is your free right.......
( the Permit for CCW is for purposes of identifying yourself to law enforcement....not for permission.....).
so they dont confuse you with a criminal concealing one.....

Is that how they spin it to you? If that permit and privilege can be taken away then it's not for identification - it's for permission. They just don't want you to think it's for permission or you might think your rights are being trampled and they don't want the flack.

If everybody had to carry openly and more people did, there would be no need for someone who conceal carries to get the drop on the bad guy like in the old west. Law and Order was a bigger deal back then because citizens participated. There doesn't seem to be a lot of open carry people becoming criminals. In other words, there should not be one person out of a crowd that has a concealed gun they can use to thwart the bad guy, there should be many gun carriers and the bad guy should see that - it's the only real way to stop and prevent crime.

I get stopped sometimes but lots of times don't - with cops clearly seeing me. If I have to identify to a cop I simply show them my drivers license and tell them I am open carrying in accordance with local laws. They do still run a check like they will do most of the time even if you have a CCW, then they let me go with a " Have a nice day."

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Oh yea? What about the right to a fair trial? That "Constitutional" right just got shredded with the signing of the NDAA! You gonna tell us the 2nd amendment wont get cut out too? Who are you working for?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I like the idea, but I see it causing too many problems. People love to see guns in movies and tv all day long, but as soon as they see someone in a store or walking around with a gun they instantly have negative thoughts and that's when police show up. Seeing the guns makes people uncomfortable and in my opinion the people who are affected this way are ones who didn't grow up around guns and don't understand them.

The opposite side of this 'people with be uncomfortable' argument is maybe people will see others open carrying enough so that it will not affect them anymore. Establishing a new norm I suppose, even though it isn't new at all.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
It may be a good idea to see what your state law says about this, although if you're like me, you already know. Everyday is open carry day as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Good point indeed. Yet, I think the reason people are uncomfortable with seeing guns being openly carried is because in post-modern America, it is not common anymore. It is good that there is a day in which a lot of people will open carry as a form of education. I say take it a step further. Plan little beach and BBQ parties in public. People can come by and see that there is nothing dangerous about open carry. They will be able to have a little BBQ chicken and ask questions about open carry and the 2nd amendment.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
S&F OP

I think this is great idea and completely support it!!

After reading the above posts I have a few thoughts on the matter.

1. Many American citizens are either misinformed or ignorant about the right to open carry.

2. Our Constitutional rights are not dependent upon if others are "comfortable" or not with them.

3. The loss of open carry rights in as mentioned in California and some other cities/states are an erosion of Liberty and a violation of the Constitution.

Simply put... a Right that is not exercised is a Right that will eventually be so highly legislated that it will become nearly impossible to exercise regardless of what the Constitution states. Proof of this comes in
the form of California and other cites/states that have laws on the books that prevent open carry.

Unless those of us who cherish the 2nd Amendment exercise right to do so clearly, openly, and loudly that Right will be suppressed to only within our homes and backyards. Public education and display concerning the Constitutionality of the Right to bear arms needs and should be of a primary emphasis.

I certainly hope the NRA or other group institutes a National Open Carry Day. I would back it and promote it if they did. Those of us who are not NRA...JOIN NOW and lets begin a movement to create National Open Carry Day.

<<   2 >>

join