It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Screw 300 million years old! Who built it?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
I love ooparts!

So far I am convinced they are the result of either

A) time travel

or

B) seriously flawed dating techniques...what if carbon 14 dating is totally bogus?

This is NOT carbon dated, as carbon dating only works with once-living things like trees or animals (their bones, of course).

Geologists determine the age of a strata by its surrounding layers, which took some time to build up. These times are quite accuratley to be calculated by some formular like "in a flat ocean we have 1.5mm sediment per year and the sediment layer is 15m thick, how long took it to build this?" - *bam* you have one of many eons calculated. Repeat for every layer.

BTW: these OOP-artifacts are really cool, and for many I have never seen any good explanation. But on the other hand never forget the other causes for these things to emerge: (a) to make money from them (b) to fool others into believing your agenda and so on and on..

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Interesting replies and questions so far, but it seems that the majority have more or less drawn a line and feel that its impossible for this artifact to be what it is and for it to be dated that far back.

Just not sure how to approach some members here. I get the impression that members seem to think that the human, being only about 60 odd thousand year old makes it seem that humans are the predominant and everything evolved after us. Well people that is simply a wrong. We are as young as a 1 second year old baby that comes into this life in comparison to stars throughout the known universe.

Some members refuse to accept the fact that there are hundreds of billions of stars out there. Some of those stars are billions of years older than earth. So ladies and gentleman, it stands to reason that we are not alone and not everything that you see in the sky is of terrestrial origin. We barely come and go to the moon without the public knowing about, we have sent deep probes in orbit around Jupiter and Saturn, we have remote landing craft on mars and but yet noone knows why we sent them there other than the usual " for research purposes ".

So in closing ill just pass on another article that points to millions and billions of years old artifacts that have been discovered by ordinary people throughout the world and not to mention back on page 2 in yellow writing more artifacts that have been dated as old if not later than the thread and its find.

______beforeitsnews/alternative/2011/09/time-travelers-footprints-found-1069913.html

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
1. There is no "iron screw". There is a rock with an imprint. If anything it is a 300 million year old rock-shaped nut... What if aliens used titanium screws?
2. There is no mention in the OP of carbon dating, yet half of the people in this thread are talking about it (repeatedly).
3. The only people staying on topic have discredited the claims, referring to Russian science media and crinoid stems. Why post UFO videos and say there are billions of stars? That doesn't prove that this is a screw...

I do not claim to be a genius, but I believe this came from Russian science media. I also believe it looks more like a fossilized stem then a screw. Using Occam's Razor, (and .01% of my brain) I think the most obvious answer to this mystery is a crinoid stem.

Let's just pretend there was no article and all you saw was the photo... Would you say stem or screw? It doesn't even look like a screw! The lines are parallel, there's no head, it's in a rock.

I am using evidence to form my beliefs not trying to find evidence to prove my beliefs.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mushroom Fields Forever

I see your point, but i am generally open to concepts and views that do not fit the general public's common sense. Yes, i may be out there, but those who are out there ended placing those who are in there.

They once read mythology and said...rubbish..man cannot fly.

If it wasn't for open minded people i guess we all might still be living with oil filled lanterns rather than flicking a switch. Necessary changes are painful, for when the human race moves up the ladder of evolution some cultures are left behind along with theories. Did they honestly believe that the earth flat ? , Sure they did, it was imposed by religion and an education system. Only a selective few possessed true knowledge as to the earths seas and land masses. That information was only for the privileged, the rest of the people were left to evolve on half century of lies and politics. Can you spot the difference, i certainly cant, its history repeating itself...again..!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

I love ooparts!

A) time travel

or

B) seriously flawed dating techniques...what if carbon 14 dating is totally bogus?

OR

Humans have always been smart and stupid at the same time.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I love ooparts!

A) time travel

or

its not bogus the rock can well be that old. But it does not mean the screw is.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Crinoid stem internal cast.

biochemicalsoul.com...
biochemicalsoul.com...

The one in the picture has slightly larger "threads" because it is a different species of crinoid.

www.westonsuper.ukfossils.co.uk...

www.humboldt.edu...

louisvillefossils.blogspot.com...

drydredgers.org...

I cannot stress enough that the image in the OP in a photo of a crinoid fossil.

Seriously please follow the moto of ATS and understand this is a fossil. The "news" article is wrong.

I am not saying there are not aliens, all I care about is that people understand the truth and that this is a crinoid fossil and nothing more.

Raist

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Gawd, some of you are unbelieveable! Anything that cannot be explained is automatically put in the hoax bin or debunked.

No wonder Mankind is so damn stupid but what can I say when so few Earth men can use 10% of their brain!

First, you are wrong that this is not an easily explained hoax.
Second, you appear to fallen for the myth that we only use a small portion of our brains.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
Crinoid stem internal cast.

biochemicalsoul.com...
biochemicalsoul.com...

The one in the picture has slightly larger "threads" because it is a different species of crinoid.

www.westonsuper.ukfossils.co.uk...

www.humboldt.edu...

louisvillefossils.blogspot.com...

drydredgers.org...

I cannot stress enough that the image in the OP in a photo of a crinoid fossil.

Seriously please follow the moto of ATS and understand this is a fossil. The "news" article is wrong.

I am not saying there are not aliens, all I care about is that people understand the truth and that this is a crinoid fossil and nothing more.

Raist

Now that is what i call a reply post. I can see the relevance in far more detail. Obviously you took time to gather the information and its most appreciated. So the next thing that's left for me to do is to transfer your articles to the Russians and see if and how it unfolds.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm also really amused here by the continued insistence it's a fossil. Are we just kinda assuming Russians breed mental midgets and they didn't run a metal scan over this to see it IS actually METAL and not possibly the fossilized organics of a long dead critter? Maybe I'm totally out of my league now..and someone will surely tell me if that holds no water as a point.

I call it a fossil because that is what it is. Maybe you are not familiar with crinoids. Look them up. The crinoids often separated into individual disks and were even collected by ancient peoples and used as necklace pieces. Necklaces of crinoid stem parts were found in the Ohio mounds.

You also think that someone pretending that a crinoid stem section is a bolt is in any way truthful. How odd.

Maybe you should learn about the Llano hammer to see how outrageous hoaxers can be.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TotallyFEDup88

You have some good questions. What you need to do is read up on the subject. You are not the first to think of these questions. People that develop dating methods think a lot about the issues of dating and the validity of dating and the precision of the dates.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Don't get me wrong, I believe in other life, ancient visitors, etc., I just pick and choose my battles. I also know there are a lot of very smart people on here. I didn't even know what these stems were until visiting this topic, but I trust the judgement of other people who seem to know more about the topic.

The fact is that when someone shows a picture or video of an unbelieveable claim, there is only evidence to discredit that claim. People are quick to jump and call "debunkers" close-minded, but really that is what should happen. After all there is usually more evidence to discredit something unexplainable than vice versa.

I think there is lot's of interesting and mysterious things about some ancient buildings and artifacts. I think there is a very good possibility that there was ancient contact. The UFO video shown earlier in this thread is one of my favorites. However, it has nothing to do with this screw.

When I visit topics, I just want to discuss the topic and the evidence presented in it, or listen to other people's judgement. It seems here people are just arguing about carbon dating or saying that it must be a screw because there are aliens. I hate sifting through all the arguments, repitition, and preaching.

I usually take long breaks from this site as I find myself continually trying to reason with people instead of having an intelligent conversation about a specific topic. I can always tell the difference between people that know what they are talking about and people that are trying to convince you to believe what they believe, aka burnt toast Jesus.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

Hmmm ... maybe, just maybe ... a meteorite hit the earth, somewhere in the 18th century, and it's hot moldet rock engulfed an iron screw on the way down. The heat and impact motion, engulfind and instantly fossilising the material.

Similar to the "mars" rock, remember that one?

Carbon dating, is about as accurate as guessing ... it's only property is "relative" dating ... meaning, A is older than B, but a trillion things could have happened, that altered the carbon decay ratio ....

Take a geology course and learn why a rock containing a crinoid is a sedimentary rock and could never have been molten. Learn why a bolt would not survive what you describe as heat, impact, engulfing. Learn why fossilization is not a product of the processes you mention.

Carbon dating is accurate. It is not guessing. It is an absolute method of dating, not relative. The carbon decay ratio is not altered by chemical events.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Actually that took all of 3 minutes to gather. A search of Google gave it up quick. From the start I have held that it was crinoid. I posted a photo then. A simple Google search would have given the same.

I only posted the large number of photos thie time because I cannot stand to see a fossil not being recognized for what it is. I was simply tired of people calling it a screw it is rock and a rock screw would not work and metal does not fossilize.

I am not trying to be snotty or short or anything like that, I just got home from work and is saddens me to see people saying this is made by people, aliens or what have you when it was a living creature.

I am just a guy that is really into fossils and I collected crinoids and other fossils 25 years ago and still collect them. As I said early on I am just into fossils and I take them seriously. Sorry if I came off as rude or whatever I was not trying for that.

Raist

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Pointing out that there are stars out there and such does nothing to support the notion that the object is anything other than a crinoid. Pretending that it is an OOPart is worthless as well.

Linking to a hoax site that shows a vandalized track sequence is sad. The vandalism was done by some YECs that destroyed tracks in order to pretend that the Earth is young. A concretion that is supposed to be a machined part is simply laughable.

I'm surprised the hoaxer you linked to did not show the Llano hammer or the California spark plug. What a fraud.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Someone should change the title of this thread because it said the ROCK is presumably 300 or so million years (in the description) not the 'screw'. The title, it is very misleading.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Mushroom Fields Forever

Hi,

Ill begin with omg..not the burnt toast again..when i first read that in a news paper..my first impression was " okya..wtf..yeah okay....next page" So that about covers the burnt toast image of Christ.

As for the my op and the image and all the subsequent replies, i can say that i keep an extremely open mind towards many things in life. The mere fact that we are renting this capsule made of flesh and bones that requires water and food to keep its engine running is what drives me as a person. Raist from the beginning had stressed his opinion as did other and although he put forward evidence and conclusion as to what the artifact was it just did not justify what i have read and was viewing. 24hr's later, i see his recent post with a more detailed approach and that sealed the deal. I can see that what he presented with images and explanation is what was being shown as news and is what i clicked and followed through as post within ats. As i mentioned above, i will be forwarding an email regarding how to contact the original source of the article. Perhaps i may get lucky and earn a reply.

P.S. Many other contributors put forward valid points its just that Raist just added that extra push for this topic to be made clear as to what the object is in the opening part of the this thread.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

I asked ..in perhaps a bit too obnoxious a way, I admit, but never did get an answer. You told another member to study geology, so I'm assuming you do have some classes if not professional expertise in it. (No sarcasm..it's how I read the high level of confidence your msgs are written with)

With that in mind, my question had been....Wouldn't the Russians simply use a metal detector to verify they had metal and not fossilized organic material embedded in rock? Perhaps there is a way these critters can scan as metal and confuse everyone? ..or are we just assuming the Russians are running a hoax to announce this?

(I figure the stone itself may be metallic and the stories written about this mention that to some degree, so I'm assuming people that do this as their professional would have smaller and far more discriminating detectors than the behemoth I use when I go out hunting for scrap in the ground?

It just confuses me here that Russians would run around chasing their tails (unless we suggest it's fraud) when such a simply thing would tell the tale? ....I'd appreciate some info on what I'm missing if I am looking right over something obvious in asking.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

They do not come in peace, they have no concept of peace as you and i have been taught.

Whether 'they' came in peace or otherwise (or ever at all) is moot now.

With the universe expanding as it is, they likely can no longer reach us anyway (it may, to some extent, explain why all the UFO conspiracy stuff is become less credible as time goes on). Our own galaxy will be the only one we will ever have 'contact' with in the future; the rest of space will be just a black void, in millennia to come. So, unless they're our next door neighbours (i.e., are in the Milky Way), we won't be able to make contact.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

With that in mind, my question had been....Wouldn't the Russians simply use a metal detector to verify they had metal and not fossilized organic material embedded in rock? Perhaps there is a way these critters can scan as metal and confuse everyone? ..or are we just assuming the Russians are running a hoax to announce this?

It doesn't look like metal does it? The issue is what can be seen in the photo. I clearly see a crinoid stem. Crinoids can be quite common in some areas. Raist can attest to that as well. Is it metal? No. If this piece were in your hand and you pointed out that it was not metal I am sure you'd hear an excuse such as fossilization having replaced the metal. There are crystals called pseudomorphs. Maybe these hoaxers would claim it was akin to that.

(I figure the stone itself may be metallic and the stories written about this mention that to some degree, so I'm assuming people that do this as their professional would have smaller and far more discriminating detectors than the behemoth I use when I go out hunting for scrap in the ground?

There are lots of ways to determine the chemical make up of the material from visual inspections to chemical analyses to IR inspections to ...

It just confuses me here that Russians would run around chasing their tails (unless we suggest it's fraud) when such a simply thing would tell the tale? ....I'd appreciate some info on what I'm missing if I am looking right over something obvious in asking.

What you seem to be caught up on is the people involved and not the evidence itself. The issue is the object and not the people.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join