It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey Christians, do my views make me not one of you in your eyes?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I am a Christian, yet I too am not accepted by the church. The church is not religion, the church is made up of men. What the 'church' and its followers believe should have no effect on you. They should welcome ANYONE.

I am nothing more than a sinner. God loves everyone, we are all gods children. With any parent, they forgive their children.

God tells us to treat each other like brothers and sisters. My brothers and sister are totally different to me, with their own beliefs, attitudes on life, I disagree with them, but I do not cast them away or ridicule them.

So in my eyes, you are one of us.

We should be asking are THEY one of us.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Originally posted by Klassified
According to fundamentalist/evangelical doctrine, you are a heretic.

You say that like it's a bad thing...

Seriously, to the OP, MY church wouldn't have considered you a Christian. And from what I've seen in recent years, the definition of Cristian is getting more and more narrow, not more accepting of variations on the theme.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Seriously, to the OP, MY church wouldn't have considered you a Christian. And from what I've seen in recent years, the definition of Cristian is getting more and more narrow, not more accepting of variations on the theme.

Thanks for the reply. Have you ever consider that your church's stance is relative? With so many different denominations all with different sets of beliefs, who can ever say they are right?

I find that my life, experiences, beliefs correspond to those of the mystics/monks/hermits of Christian Antiquity, and they too, by regular folks who were actually in the world and went to church, considered that group of people as not one of them, something I too go through today.

I think Jesus would embrace Buddhism and Zen and I found members of those schools of thought, be more Christlike towards me, then regular Church members surprisingly.

food for thought

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Klassified

Originally posted by Klassified
According to fundamentalist/evangelical doctrine, you are a heretic.

You say that like it's a bad thing...

Sometimes I do wonder if I should put a disclaimer on my posts in the religious forum saying I'm a heathen. Occasionally, someone thinks I'm a Christian. Although most know by now I'm not, and don't pretend to be.

My old church would have been casting demons out of him.

In the fundamentalist churches, the definition has always been narrow. But if you ask the United Pentecostals, or the Jesus Only's, even the fundamentalists are too liberal.
edit on 8/11/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I think most Christians are not really Christians. If one is just an orthodox mainstream "average" Christian then one isn't a real Christian. One is a victim of the 'false prophet'.

"The Christian of the future will be a mystic or he will not exist" -Karl Rahner

Christians of the future will be mystics, and true Christians of the past were mystics. Jesus was a mystic. To be a Christian is to follow his example and become a mystic too. Since most Christians are not mystics, since most are utterly ignorant of what mysticism means to Christianity...most Christians are not following his example and hence are not really Christians.

The mystical function of Christianity is dead. That is the 'great falling away'.

At best, the orthodox fundamentalist non-mystic Christian is a mere child of the faith...sucking on a bottle of kindergarten exegesis and laboring under the mystical ignorance of the uninitiated and indulging in petty judgmentalism and intolerance. At worst, they are unwitting pawns of the 'false prophet'.

edit on 11-8-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
I ask this because an Evangelical told me I'm a heretic and doomed to hell for my beliefs.

I don't know about the "doomed to hell" bit, as that's kind of up to God, but, as your beliefs are in significant conflict with orthodox Christian teachings, yes, you are, by definition, a heretic (heresy just means "bad teaching".)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The only One who pre-exists is God, so in that respect, yes you're a heretic, although that word seems a bit harsh, so we'll just say you are mistaken, forgive you, and forget you said it and move on. Sounds good yeah? .

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

The mystical function of Christianity is dead. That is the 'great falling away'

There are different interpretations of what that is. The great falling away is a christianity that ignores it's jewish roots. We are not "christians" we are jews bought by the blood of Christ into the House of Israel, most christians do not even know that and are not aware. Look what the Church did to the jews in the Dark Ages and the 600 year Inquisition, people that should have been shown the love and mercy of their Messiah were brutally cut down and their homes and synogogues burnt down and forced to live in barns and stables. Jesus did not come to make a new religion, he came to set right what went wrong. Most christians also do not realize that even in this day we can still heal people, all we have to do is call on Messiah. We are all hebrews. Abraham was the first hebrew because he was the first to come out of Babylon to follow God. You do not have to be a physical decendant of Abraham to be hebrew.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

The only One who pre-exists is God, so in that respect, yes you're a heretic, although that word seems a bit harsh, so
we'll just say you are mistaken

And you know this as 100% fact? You there are perhaps thousands or more of people across the globe who remember preexisting. I could never ever deny this memory and know for myself that it was not made up. Also it does not conflict with the bible.

For example Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you" among many others.

There is one in revelations where it says paraphrased, "for those who overcome, i shall make you a pillar in my house, and you shall go out no more". Implying that we went out and have left that house to come here.

To those who believe that we have no preexisted, they will take these 2 versus and spin them their own way. To those who remember preexisting, these 2 are plain as day to their true meaning

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Before any thing, you are.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

Yep, i'm 100% sure He is the only One pre-existing.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Reincarnation is bogus and just another ploy by satan to mislead people away from the truth

The people of the world believe this lie because a vast new age bombardment of misinformation.

Wrong.
"Vast new age bombardment?" I'm sorry, it's called "new age" because we are shifting from one "age" (which I consider to be Dark, even up until now) to another (Aquarius). It is not NEW, it is beyond ancient, and far far predates "Jesus" and the constructs developed in his "name."

Reincarnation is not bogus. The people of the world believe it for very good reason, with EVIDENCE (children remembering their past families and later "indulged" and allowed to meet their still-living former families) as well as DOCUMENTATION (yes, Jesus DID teach it). The Eastern religions have ALWAYS taught it. It may be "new" to you, but it is certainly not "new" in terms of humanity's self-awareness.

sigh

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
This whole question is based on a false premis and is intended to slam christianity. A basic tenet of christianity is that we don't judge, only the father.
In my opinion, we find out when we die but thats just me

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I don't know about the "doomed to hell" bit, as that's kind of up to God, but, as your beliefs are in significant conflict with orthodox Christian teachings, yes, you are, by definition, a heretic (heresy just means "bad teaching".)

Who decides it's "bad teaching"? (Rhetorical question, there, Sir.)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Aside from never having been an Evangelical, my pov is the same as yours. Who cares if Christians "exclude" you or call you a "heretic"? Jesus would have embraced you and thanked you for "getting it."

I would have Flagged your thread, but you were addressing Christians. I did star you, though. And may I say, on this utterly beautiful "Sunday" morning, that I couldn't really care less if they see me as "one of them in their eyes." I'm not, and no amount of ridicule, name-calling, threatening, or maligning will EVER cause me to WANT to be "one of them."

The members who have taken the time to read my posts and threads should have no doubts about what I believe (and what I realize I don't know, as well as what confuses me); if they do, I invite them to ask me. Some who have invested time and thought into my pov have been Christians and a handful have upheld that my "spirit" is on the right track.

I'm 'one of you,' dominicus; and you are 'one of us' who sees beyond rote dogma. We don't need the approval or disdain of Christians either way.
(It would be nice if the nasty ones would lay off, though.)

edit on 12-8-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

Okay, yeah....I'm FLAGGING this one. It needs to stay on the boards for a while. (Says I)
edit on 12-8-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The OP should not rely on his visions/memories of past pre-existence, but believe the Word of God.

That said, the OP will make it to the kingdom in the end. We all will.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
Who decides it's "bad teaching"?

Why wouldn't orthodox Christians be able to define something as being unorthodox?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by wildtimes
Who decides it's "bad teaching"?

Why wouldn't orthodox Christians be able to define something as being unorthodox?

Why would "unorthodox" be considered "bad teaching?"

It's always the unorthodox who provide us with new and cutting edge thinking. What used to be unorthodox is now common knowledge, like the earth's orbit around the sun, not the other way around.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

See windword's response above...
then,
re-read my question. 'Orthodox' and 'unorthodox' have no relevance to "bad teaching" or "good teaching."

I didn't say anything about orthodox v unorthodox. Unorthodox, however, now that you mention it, is how we progress: by tossing away obsolete and incorrect "assumptions" or "interpretations."

You were the one who said "bad" teaching, and that is a judgment. "Bad" according to whom?
You?
A priest?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Yep, i'm 100% sure He is the only One pre-existing.

I'm 100% sure I pre-existed as well. That causes a pretty bug schism in your whole belief system that ought to be resolved. We can't both be right about this one.

However, I remember my preexistence, and you don't remember yours. So we both have are views accordingly. However only one is right.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

This quote really doesn't directly address whether or not the individual personal soul existed prior to inhabiting the body, so I don't see how you've concluded that you are 100% sure based on this quote that the individual soul never preexisted.

I think you would agree with me that we are a conglomerate of soul, mind, and body. Body formed in the womb and mind is a result or relatives being learned. However Soul is a whole separate category.

On top of that, some well respected theologians of antiquity (one's that I gaurantee your own church leaders hold in high regard) used to debate at how many months does the soul enter the womb upon conception.

For me, there is no contradiction with any scripture and having remembered that I pre-existed.
reply to post by wildtimes

Wildtimes, thanks for the acknowledgement and respect. I have Love for all and try my darnest not to distinguish between folks and judge, the way evangelicals do. Love all and the golden rule and such. I do believe only the Christian Mystics will be the only surviving actual Christians in the midst of all the changes that are upon the horizon and the rapid growth of militant atheism
edit on 12-8-2012 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join