It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: "Stolen Honor" Producer, Carlton Sherwood, Revealed as Homeland Security Contractor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
As the controversy builds surrounding Sinclair Broadcasting's decision to pre-empt programming on 62 of the nation's broadcast stations with the anti-Kerry movie Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal just days before the election, revelations about the movie's producer continue to surface. Carlton Sherwood, President of the movie's Red, White and Blue Production Company is also Executive Vice President of the wvc3 group, a firm focusing on homeland security and counterterrorism once tapped by Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge.

MediaMatters.org reports that Sherwood's Homeland Security firm was charged with creating and managing "a new Fed website -- www.firstresponder.gov -- a key Bush Administration public outreach program directed to the more than 8 million police, fire, EMS and emergency management personnel nationwide. (Firstresponder.gov is not yet operational [however]. According to the American Public Works Association, it was supposed to be live by March 2004, but it has apparently been delayed.)"

As if the questionable priorities and obvious loyalties of a Homeland Security contractor /(slash) Movie producer don't raise enough eyebrows already, consider his books and publisher.

Sherwood, an unapologetic supporter of the Reverend Sun Myung Moon, authored the pro-Unification Church book Inquisition: The Persecution and Prosecution of the Reverend Sun Myung Moon and shares publisher Regnery with a number of Bush sympathetic authors including...

Quote:John E. O'Neill's and Jerome R. Corsi's Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry; Robert Patterson's Reckless Disregard: How Liberal Democrats Undermine Our Military, Endanger Our Soldiers, and Jeopardize Our National Security; Michelle Malkin's In Defense of Internment: The Case for "Racial Profiling" in World War II and the War on Terror; and David Horowitz's forthcoming Unholy Alliance: Radical Islam and the American Left.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

References
1. MediaMatters.org: Carlton Sherwood on Hannity & Colmes
2. Catch.com: The Man Behind the Curtain
3. InsiderPA.com (June 2003 Archive) Sherwood's wvc3 Awarded Firstresponder.gov
4. wvc3.com (Under Construction!)
5. FirstResponder.gov (Cannot Find Server)

Related News Articles:
CNN: Anti-Kerry Film Sparks DNC Response

[edit on 10-11-2004 by William One Sac]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Excellent find!

Isn't Sinclair Broadcasting the same outfit that interfered with the Nightline broadcast of the names of the Killed in Action in Iraq?

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Ha! And people think they were doing it out of the corruption of their hearts. Wait warmth, no, had it right the first time.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Excellent find!

Isn't Sinclair Broadcasting the same outfit that interfered with the Nightline broadcast of the names of the Killed in Action in Iraq?

They enter 24% of the nation's homes through their media monopoly (mostly B & C markets bought on the cheap), wholeheartedly admit they support Bush (97% of all executive political contributions don't lie) AND wage political jihad on the public airwaves whenever they damn well feel like it.

Ordering local stations to pre-empt the network NEWS like Nightline when they deem it "too political" and ordering the same stations to pre-empt normal broadcast programming for an anti-Kerry MOVIE they call "NEWS" (to attempt to avoid FCC and FEC violations) is as transparent as the link between this movie and the Bush administration now.

But the tax money from last year to a Homeland Security firm to produce and manage a "web portal" when their own portal is UNDER CONSTRUCTION a year later and the Homeland Security coordination effort is also long since pre-empted for other priorities is just indefensibly corrupt re-election priorities over America's priorites.

And where is that tax money now anyway? How much was it, and how much is invested in this anti-Kerry infomercial being shown ad free on public airwaves?

Shame on all of them. Damn Moonies.

[edit on 11-10-2004 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Typical dem lleft wing response. When you can't attack the factual content of the message, go after the messanger. Facts are no matter who tells them. If you don't believe them to be factual, disprove them.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This is excellent! I actually want to see the movie now. I haven't heard of it until I read the article and it totally is a 'commercial' for the GOP, against Kerry.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apoc
Typical dem lleft wing response. When you can't attack the factual content of the message, go after the messanger. Facts are no matter who tells them. If you don't believe them to be factual, disprove them.

Sure, why I don't get busy and do just that in the 72 hours between the movie being aired and the election. I know. I'll buy a media monopoly and violate FCC and Federal Election law by running the rebuttal.

Sounds like a plan. I'm sure nobody will object. Do you think the good Reverend Sun Myung Moon will help pay for it? Or is he paying for this?

Something is supremely rotten. Whether it's Homeland Security money or Moon money, there's much more to this than meets the eye.

PS - Typical Bush right wing response Apoc. Who cares where the money comes from or if it's legal. (Or factual.) Just do it! :shk:

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Apoc says:

When you can't attack the factual content of the message, go after the messenger

We don't know the content of the message yet. It hasn't aired. No-one can be accused of attacking the messenger at this stage. The other posts properly take issue with the manner of preparing, the illegal funding, and the illegal timing of this political smear ad qua "movie".

Apoc also says:

Facts are (facts) no matter who tells them.

Yeah, right. So you've seen the movie and have verified that it contains "facts" rather than politcal opinion, distortion, generalizatin, and semar. When and where is the next sneak preview? Sounds like you believe anything that drips off a right winger's pen or lips as a "fact". Never let the truth get in the way of fact.

This is a crime. No, that's not my opinion. It's a legal fact. Someone needs to be prosecuted, convicted, and incarcerated for several lifetimes if they actually air this thing and perpetrate this fraud on the electorate. If Dubya has a hand in this then he should be up for impeachment the moment he is re-elected, though I doubt that he has much chance of that happening in any event. Dan Rather is an angel in comparison to this looming misdeed. On the postive side, if the "movie" airs, it may well awaken the majority of voters to the kind of low down dirty tactics and deeds the right wingers are willing to stoop to in order to get what they want in this election adn in general.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I probably don't have to report the heat Sinclair has been taking since the announcement to air "Stolen Honor" (currently being repeated by every major cable news organization) from both activists, media watchers and concerned organizers of the DNC.

But something changed today (and not just the shrinking stock price).

The new main page of SBGI has a message mentioning nothing about "Stolen Honor" and a previously unreported uncertainty about what format the Anti-Kerry "extravagaza" will take.

We welcome your comments regarding the upcoming special news event featuring the topic of Americans held as prisoners of war in Vietnam. The program has not been videotaped and the exact format of this unscripted event has not been finalized. Characterizations regarding the content are premature and are based on ill-informed sources.

Massachusetts Senator John Kerry has been invited to participate. You can urge him to appear by calling his Washington, D.C. campaign headquarters at [spam, spam, spam, spam, spam].

If you would like to make further comments on this matter, you may do so at: [email protected]

I smell lawyers and upset stockholders. But I don't smell submission. Oh and also, they want you to stop writing and calling Sinclair's CEO & President David Smith (who's partial to hookers in the company car) to complain about his latest lapse in judgement.

A new "newsworthy" tact perhaps? Free advertising for the movie (they now know they can't possibly show without losing their license) and publicity for an effort to organize a "New Presidential Debate" (without George Bush) where Kerry debates...(an unscripted event with uncharacterized content)???

This is about as nefarious now as Saddam's offer to settle his disagreements with George Bush via fisticuffs (subject to Iraqi rules, of course).

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
What and ugly way to see who the government belongs to, and who is the one that calls the shots.

I did not see Michael Moore movies and I have not desire to see whatever these people is showing.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I did not see Michael Moore movies and I have not desire to see whatever these people is showing.

At least you're being fair. If the left can have its informercial movies, then so can the right. And the middle. And anyone else, for that matter...

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   

* * * If the left can have its informercial movies, then so can the right. And the middle. And anyone else, for that matter...

Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 911 was not an infomercial. You could not just turn your TV dial at 2:00 a.m. and watch it. You had to look it up in the movie listings, see where and when it was playing, leave your easy chair and remote control, drive to the theater, pay the admission, and watch it in the theater. It presented a view point that reasonated with the public. That's why people went to see it. Unlike the Sinclair atrocity, Moore's movie was not foisted on an unsuspecting public by being snuck into people's consciousness during prime time when they were legitimately expecting to see something else. Can you say "subliminable"? (hardly that). What is the value of the air time in all the markets that this would have aired if it went forward? It must be a staggering sum of money. There is no comparison between this and Moore's very excellent movie. Let these fellows distribute their film the way Moore's movie was distributed and see if they draw a fraction of the viewership. No one in their right mind will pay to watch a rehash of the attacks on John Kerry's Vietnam era days. If this airs I hope the public has the good sense to change the channel or turn off the TV and talk to each other for once.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I agree with the Moore 911 analogy. So what if he is? The Press is overwhelmingly 'kerry' so why cant 'Bush' have his? There we go Double standard........just becuase the man is Pro Bush, Has a Job, and wants to let people know...he gets hammered. Thats the Left folks.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
You can disagree with the distribution method (as do I, in this case), but that's a seperate issue from whether or not you believe the movie/infomercial/edutainment/ whatever you want to call it has a right to exist in the first place -- and, given freedom of speech and the press, it does.

If I was making one of these, it would be to spread the word on what I believe, not make money (Moore) or force it on people (as in this case). I'd put up a website, and make the video downloadable for free in a ready-to-burn DVD file. I'd want burned DVD copies of my video everywhere, to spread the word.

Now, unless it's breaking federal election laws, this move is really just an annoyance. People can turn the TV channel, and if they do, then ratings will plummet that night, and those TV channels will lose money. The free market at its best.

Perhaps some liberals are worried, thinking "What if people don't change the channel?"

[edit on 10/11/2004 by ThunderCloud]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

I smell lawyers and upset stockholders. But I don't smell submission. Oh and also, they want you to stop writing and calling Sinclair's CEO & President David Smith (who's partial to hookers in the company car) to complain about his latest lapse in judgement.

Well if it was ok for the President of the United States, why not a hard working capitalist? Oh becuase it was illegal , Monica was free (Hand that one to Bill's Intel )and he also got caught.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Perhaps some liberals are worried, thinking "What if people don't change the channel?"

Upon reflection, it will likely garner more votes for the Kerry ticket. Bring it on! The public has a much better grasp of reality than those promotoing this thing.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone

Upon reflection, it will likely garner more votes for the Kerry ticket. Bring it on! The public has a much better grasp of reality than those promotoing this thing.

Yes it will be okay, because of that and also other reasons.

An across the board relaxation in broadcast precedent could be very interesting about now with so many "newsworthy" documentaries to run waiting in backlog from the past few years or frankly whenever the hell we feel like it forever since we have that whole liberal media conspiracy thing going.

Been watching Sinclair market cap go down too. And doing a bit of ratings digging as well. Pffft. Not only could Soros buy them with pocket change, I think Ben Affleck could.

Normally I'd be dead set against the erosion of America's public airwaves and loss of strictly enforced democratic election law, but I think Mike Moore could be eyeing some interesting investments right about now.

Yes, it will ruin everything and be the official end of America and the free and fair press as we know it, but so what? The Republicans said it's ok!

No take backs if this happens.

Of course, I'll continue fighting for everyone's right to a free and fair press and truly public airwaves (not to be confused with purchased private mediums which are always okay for partisan hack jobs) until no longer fruitful. Then screw it. Once this line is crossed, "they" whoever they may be and all their Hatfield kin will rue the day.

RANT McCOY

[edit on 12-10-2004 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Wow, for a man to be so anti Kerry, that he would sacrifice Sinclair broadcasting... All those stockholders are probably frantacally trying to sell off shares today... what would drive a totally sane man to hate someone so much that he would risk legal action. Oh wait...he was a moonie...
nevermind...
IMO that this will not play, and if it does, Michael Moore has already agreed to push for a primetime release of Farenheit 9-11...
which would cause far more damage to Bush than a hypothetical video of Kerry bashing a war, that no one liked.

side note: Regardless of whether you like Michael Moore or not, watching the evidence presented in "farenheit 9-11" should be every patriots goal. it is about the BUSH NOW, not about the THEN Kerry quotes and actions.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Credit where credit is due. DU compiled most of this research and sources. Then I helped.

This is the address of Quantum Communications, the [REAL] production company of "Stolen Honor"
Red, White and Blue Productions
C/O Quantum Communications
123 State St.
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Phone 717-213-4955
StolenHonor.com

This is the man who owns Quantum Communications
Mr. Charles R. Gerow
Law Offices of Charles R. Gerow
Reagan/Bush Campaign Field Staff, 1980
Reagan Alumni Association
Active involvement in numerous campaigns
Advance work in 6 Presidential campaigns
Alternate Delegate at Large, 1988
Dole for President, surrogate speaker,1996
Candidate for U.S. Congress
Lawyers for Bush, 2000
Principal, Quantum Communications
Adjunct faculty of several Pa. colleges
rnla.org

He ran for Congress as a Republican in 2000
CampaignMoney.com

He was a Pennsylvania delegate to the GOP Convention in New York
"I don't like smoking bans. I'm a guy who believes in freedom," said Charlie Gerow, a cigar-smoker and delegate from Harrisburg, Pa. "Doesn't every civilized person enjoy cognac with a good cigar after dinner? I miss that here."
WashingtonTimes.com

"I think the president's plan is exactly what the country needs right now," 19th Congressional District delegate Charlie Gerow said. "The president understands the importance of allowing people to keep their hard-earned money instead of sending it to Washington, D.C."
ydr.com

He's a member of Pennsylvania's Reagan Legacy Project State Advisory Committee
ReagenLegacy.org

He's the president of the Penn Center, a "conservative think tank"
"The governor tried to put the Republican legislature between the dog and fire hydrant," said Charles R. Gerow, president of the Penn Center, a conservative think tank in Harrisburg. "But the Republicans, filled with jolt of testosterone, uncharacteristically did the right and smart thing."
WashingtonTimes.com

Named a Republican "party activist"; "political heavyweight"
"I've always been with Arlen in past, but I'm with Toomey this time because I think he is a conservative who can win -- that's what I look for," said Charlie Gerow, a party activist and one of the few political heavyweights in the state who backs Mr. Toomey.
WashTimes.com

He's doesn't just own the production company, he's the publicist for "Stolen Honor":
The controversy over the anti-John Kerry ads aired by the swift boat vets has settled to a low boil, but the issues could take on new life and a new direction on September 9 with the premiere in Washington of a for-profit documentary called Stolen Honor. "I believe this is going to be the documentary of 2004," says Charlie Gerow, publicist for the film. "Forget about Michael Moore."
DallasObserver.com

He's a Bush Appointee
The President intends to appoint Charles R. Gerow, of Pennsylvania, to be a Member of the Benjamin Franklin Tercentenary Commission. (Recommendation submitted by the Governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.)
WhiteHouse.gov

[And RWB Front Group's] Documentary maker Sherwood also has ties [as reported in ATSNN]
As the Kerry campaign will quickly point out, Sherwood has "ties" to the Bush administration, having served in media services for former Gov. (and now Homeland Security Secretary) Tom Ridge in Pennsylvania. He is executive vice president of WVC3, a Virginia company involved in security and counterterrorism work.

Yet both men denied any association to Bush-Cheney as recently as 9/11
"There has been absolutely no discussion, association, communication or coordination at all with the Bush campaign," said Charlie Gerow, a spokesman for Sherwood's production company. Said Sherwood: "I am a registered independent. This is not political, it's personal."

Also according to Sherwood the registerd "Indepependent" previously "served as Special Media Advisor to the Secretary of the Navy during the Reagan Administration." This is almost certainly a reference to James Webb, who held the position between 1987 and 1988. Webb is now on the Advisory Board of WVC3. These days, Webb's views on Iraq differ from Sherwood's, as Webb has been a strong critic of the decision to go to war.
DisinfoPedia.org

Though Sherwood formerly worked for the extremely conservative Washington Times (sourced frequently above, and now owned by followers of Rev. Moon) his most previously controversial public work prior to "Stolen Honor" remains the friendly assessment of noted Right Wing activist Reverend Sun Myung Moon in Inquisition: The Persecution and Prosecution of the Reverend Sun Myung Moon, where Sherwood concluded "independently" that Moon and his followers "were and continued to be the victims of the worst kind of religious prejudice and racial bigotry this country has witnessed in over a century." Powerful stuff.

Will "Stolen Honor" be as impartial and revealing?

Of course former Bush-Cheney Campaign advisor and featured face of SBVT 527 ads, Ken Cordier is billed as the top feature of "Stolen Honor" being shown on Sinclair Broadcasting.

Sinclair, you may recall is the company Republican Senator McCain called "unpatriotic" earlier this year for it's pre-empting of Nightline's tribute to Fallen Heros. It's also known for it's $2.3 million in contributions to Republicans between 96 and 04, including 97% of all it's contributions just this year

It's forthcoming "unpartisan" additional contribution of over 5,000 commercial free prime time minutes (90 minutes across 62 stations) to the continued anti-Kerry efforts of these "independents," federal contractors and promised Bush appointees continues to draw scrutiny.

Developing...

[edit on 13-10-2004 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
If you can't kill the message kill the messenger. Famous Democrat tactic, how classy

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join