It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Americanism and why

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by beezzer

I accept!

I hate America and no matter what you say I am still going to hate America doesn't matter if you provide any facts or anything else.

NO MATTER WHAT

I am going to hate America and ignore the rest of the world!

Anti-americanism is different than being critical of America. Anti-americanism is the irrational, biased hatred of America. Heck, I'm critical of America, most people who live in America are critical of America.

But the pure, unadulterated hatred of America that is so prevalent on these threads is a far cry from criticism.

Neo, I can't argue against your criticism

Though I find the haters have been hesitent to post since I issued my challenge.

edit on 11-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I've seen American hatred all over this thread. Here's a simple solution to all the haters.
If you live here, get out if you don't like it.
If your country receives disaster aid, refuse it. When a earthquake, hurricane, typhoon, etc.. destroys where you are, just say no to the medicine, food, water. Get by on your own.
Last, but certainly not least, If you hate us that much... Come Get Some.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Now that we have that out of the way, WHY IS the United States, singled out ALWAYS? Why is the finger ALWAYS pointing at the United States ? Why the Anti-Americanism?

Because we held ourselves to a higher standard. We falsely believed that we were above the brutal behavior of other countries in the past.. and now we are disgusted and saddened by the truth of what we've become.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

People just hate the "Big Boy" on the block.

This. ^

If Russia had won the cold-war, all the people indulging in anti-American sentiment would be gnashing their teeth and muttering about how they wish we would have won.

I don't hear many people say they wish Russia had won.

If you are anti-American but aren't anti-American enough to wish Russia had won, then you're just a stupid poser. IMHO.

Imagine the anti-Russian sentiment the world would have right now if Russia had won the cold-war, and imagine how Russia would be reacting to it.

I don't think they would like it.

Not.
One.
Bit.

/shrug

Having said all that, our government sucks.

edit on 11-8-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
I've seen American hatred all over this thread. Here's a simple solution to all the haters.
If you live here, get out if you don't like it.
If your country receives disaster aid, refuse it. When a earthquake, hurricane, typhoon, etc.. destroys where you are, just say no to the medicine, food, water. Get by on your own.
Last, but certainly not least, If you hate us that much... Come Get Some.

My sentiments exactly .

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by binkman

reply to post by binkman

200 years I will be dead but hey when is someone going to admit their own oh like how the sun never set on the British Empire and the problems of today were created by them?

Oh never.

They aren´t our problems. Ask your shell shocked suicidal troops

Wow dude... that's low.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts
Hitler, Stalin, and Pol Pot are dead. Since I've been on this planet, the U.S. government has been the most brutal regime in the world. I'm not 80 years old.

That is rich considering since ww2 the US has not once used the full force of its military NOT ONCE and seems some people have a twisted sense of morality and definition of brutal say like cutting peoples heads off or the punji sticks of the Viet cong, the rape of nan King, the bataan death marches and gas chambers, the mass executions in Bosnia etc.

and IEDS in Iraq and afhganistan, car bombs,truck bombs etc.

edit on 11-8-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Hmm, lets see what "brutal" actions that the USA has committed shall we?

I will name at least one horrible act from US Forces since WW2:

WW2:

- The Atomic Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They should be considered war crimes, since the US knowingly and willingly massacred hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians.

Korea:

- US assisted executions of Koreans based purely on speculation and suspicion.
- US forces had a shoot first, ask questions later order, which led to the deaths of more than 400 civilians

Vietnam:

-The My Lai Massacre. US forces massacred between 300 and 600 civilians (depending on which source you go by); including men, women, elders and children. Only the Platoon leader as convicted and served 3 years under house arrest.

-Using Agent Orange, not only on enemies, but on civilians also. It still causes birth defects today...

Iraq:

-The use of depleted Uranium in weapons, causing prolonging effects in all previous engagement zones, including populated cities. The use of depleted Uranium in weapons has caused defects in births also.

Afghanistan:

-Death squads used to terrorise civilians
-Murders of civilians

The USA has also committed horrible atrocities...it's a two way street mate.
edit on 11-8-2012 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

People in the United States want PEACE? Huh? Try running for office and telling the average American that you'll be cutting the laughingly called "defense department" budget by 50% (which will still keep it larger than the top 10 spenders combined) and see what sort of reaction you'll get.

DEFENSE Department. Not Offense Department.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Again, it is a two way street, but the fingers are ONLY pointing one way.

You dont here of Anti-Russianism
Anti Chinaism....

Do you?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
When I hear about people talk negatively towards my country, I often wonder if these people would have existed if it weren't for my counrty's involvement in thier county's conflicts. Would the french be speaking german, or the austrailians be speaking japanese? How about the fact that they use Windows on thier PC's, or the internet for that matter. I am proud of my homeland. My family has defended this country in every conflict from 1778-2009. Several gave thier lives to protect others who could not for themselves. I'm not saying I believe my country is superior to others, believe me we have our problems. What I am saying, are you better off that the USA assisted when her allies needed her the most? I like many other americans appreciate our friends, and will deal with our foes. This being said, our government has the same problem as many around the world...politicians. If there were one thing I would change, it would be to one term politicians.

So, what will it be? Do we continue to help our allies and other nations across the world, or become isolationists?
Be careful what you ask for...for if your hatred is that strong for the USA, you just might get it.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

This situation is similar to Yin-Yang or Cause-Effect. Anti-Americanism is bred from the actions that America undertakes in other countries. In general, people resent having points of view, beliefs, practices, ETC. forced upon them. As an example, I will post a snippet from one of your quotes:

Arab leaders distract their subjects' attention from internal weakness that are their real problems And thus rather then pushing for greater privatization, equality for woman, democracy, civil society, freedom of speech, due process of law, or other similar developments sorely needed in the Arab World, the public focuses instead of hating the United States.

All of those practices, for lack of a better term, is not the duty of America to promote. Arab culture has been alive far longer than American culture. We do not need to tell them how to live, how to govern, how to do business or how to treat people. They survived long before there was an America and I am sure they will survive longer as well. Another thing, it is not our business. Arabs know that....unfortunately Americans do not. Let them live how they want to live, however barbaric, uncivilized or unjust it may seem to some of us. I bet we seem just as perverse to them. Forcing our values, business practices, laws, and so called equality on unwilling people will make anyone angry. I respect the way America handled foreign affairs from the 1890's to the Great Depression. They helped stabilize some countries finances, sent out aid to others and, with the exception of Central/South America, treated other countries fairly and did not try to force their values or beliefs on others. Not so anymore.

I am in semi-agreement with your statement regarding America being looked upon as being unable to produce unique works of culture. This view did exist in most European countries for about 100 years, until about the 1880's. Then, American writers, philosophers, entertainers, ETC. began to be looked upon without the negative bias. This continued until around the late 1950's to early 1960's. Then, America greatly increased the Iron-Handed tactics throughout the world and gradually lost their popularity. It makes perfect sense. Act like a villain and you will be treated like one.

You are right about the attitudes of most American people. They are hard working. Some are exceptional. Some are below exceptional. Some are average. Still, the people of America will be vilified by others when the American Government acts like a tyrant. The people of America have the power to change things. Unfortunately, they do not. American people love to bicker amongst each other, love to be adversarial. In fact, it is not strange behavior when all the branches of Government are based on an adversarial system. Bottom line, Americans are adversarial and we create the grief that we so richly deserve.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
When I was in vietnam a year ago for 3 months, I noticed something very peculiar indeed. Before speaking to me, the local population thought I was american, and turned their noses up. Once they learned I wasn't american, but australian, we were all buddy buddies. Bit odd as we were part of the war too, so it led me to think about why that would be the case. It turned out that a lot of vietnamese felt that the many US folk travelling there show no respect for their culture. It wasn't about the war at all really (they are more proud to have put up such a good fight it seemed), but about tourists acting like w%^kers. Of course there would be many exceptions, but on the whole, that seemed to be the consensus. Many also disliked the french (maybe more so) for the same reason.

It's how some of you guys act abroad that may add to it. It appears that some of you guys could be more mindful of other cultures when travelling.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Pedro4077

We haven't had any interactions that I am aware of, and I don't agree with anything really you said up to this video, however, I am starring you.

For 3 reasons
Reason 1 at least you stick to your guns, even if I disagree with your position.
Reason2 aussies are just f cking great, I don't agree all the time, but like my countrymen, you guys got your pride and nobody can take it from ya!
Reason3 that was one of the coolest f cking videos to go with that song ever.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by My_Reality

You make it sound like the US is trying to conqure the world like Kublai Khan, Alexander the Great, and Ceasar. This is not the case. Many of our intanglements are due to treaties we signed, such as NATO, and other business and political interest. Is it wrong to protect our interests? Often times we are invited into the economic and geopolitical affiars of said countries. The truth is it goes hand and hand. To toute the moral highground of Arab nations is laughable. They slaughter women and homosexuals for violating cultural and religious edicts. Arabs practiced slavery for centuries, especially in Africa. Without american companies and equipment, thier oil would have remained in the ground for decades. It is the responsibility of government to protect those interests from threats. In fact, I work with several Iraqis, they are working very hard to not return to Iraq, and to become US citizens. They don't seem downtroden by american ideals, in fact, they are embrassing them.
As far as an adversarial government, ever seen the UK parlament have a heated debate? It looks like some kind of death match. Like a bunch of hooligans. lol. Makes our legislature look tame.
I'm sorry if I sound a little pointed, its not on you. Just a bit of passion on my part.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by billy197300

The Middle East was screwed up WAY before there even was a US. They just use us as an excuse for their problems now........how convenient.

Right, before us (US Oil) it was the UK. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong. Too much influence from FOX in this country already. Who'd a thought you guys would have bought into hearing what you want to hear so quickly and so well?

Truth is that most of the Middle East has never been allowed to rule themselves. Iran's very borders were drawn up by Churchill with refueling for the next war in mind.

Maybe the other half of us should take a step back and consider how it would feel to live in an occupied country from cradle to grave. Oh yeah, we do. You guys need to forget Country names and Nationalism. The powers that actually are have. Corporations and others with concentrated wealth rule this country and the world. They just don't want you to know about it yet.

Take a step back... Haha. That is like telling the front line in a firefight to take a step back during the heat of battle. Not a wise move.

Another problem is that we are programmed to identify with a Government which is not made up of officials elected by us. At the very best, under the best of all circumstances, we do not elect anyone. We select between people that the real rulers are willing to accept. 2012 is a glaring example of that in itself.

Repeating mantras like "Everything is all right" and "It's not so bad" will not make it so. You need a new plan.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Siberbat

You make it sound like the US is trying to conqure the world like Kublai Khan, Alexander the Great, and Ceasar. This is not the case.

You are right. In our case we are conquering for our corporations and monied interests. The name of the Project For A New American Century think tank is all but a confession. Our actions work to validate that name.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Ittabena

Off topic:
If that is the case, who is more to blame... the corporations who create the intersts, or the consumers who fuel them with their pocket books? You see, whether it is USA, UK, Russia, or China it's not contained to one nation which perticipates, it's many. Right or wrong it comes down to producers and consumers, not just one nation.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

First of all, I'm not liberal. I'm just about (being) anti-United States. I don't like the way this country operates. I think we've ruined this place. And I think it's largely because of businessmen. And businessmen are not liberals. So if that makes me a liberal, then that's just an association. It's not a choice."-George Carlin.

America "a big freekin shopping mall"

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

What's even funnier is a Brit talking about us failing in Viet Nam -on the other side of the planet- when they couldn't even take care of business in Northern Ireland. A 38 year continual deployment that ended in dismal facepalming fail.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by My_Reality

Nice post my friend.

Many of your points, are he same as mine. You looked at it objectively. I wish more would.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join