It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got a glimpse of SHTF

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
The same thing happened to me, it was after work....was a long day and I didn't feel like cooking dinner so I went to Subway to pick up a sub while driving home. While in the store a lady was buying subs for her family (from a city nearby), apparently the power was off for most of the day and she was complaining how she couldn't cook.

I looked at her and said, what if the power was off for a week, for a month....what would you do. She just looked at me and said the government would look after us. I was in utter shock. People are SO UNPREPARED, they actually believe that big brother, when things are at its worst, will look after you.

We all call ourselves civilized, but that "civilization" can be stripped very easily.

edit on 11-8-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

What's truly scary is that there is a woman in the U.S. who apparently doesn't know what a "grill" is. Wow.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Not everyone loses their minds. Last time we lost power for four days in 100 degree heat, my neighborhood really came together. People allowed others to take water from their pools (our community is on well water) - older folks where brought to homes with generators, the local market wouldn't let you in but would take orders and bring out food. People even shared fuel, much to my amazement. Everyone cooked had cookouts before the frozen stuff spoiled and shared a lot of it...

It was rough but we made the most of it and nobody lost their minds
edit on 8/12/2012 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

people turned primal very fast
reply to post by Talltexxxan

I want you to imagine this: no food, no alcohol, no drugs; including prescription! Forget all the other things. That combination right there, IS BAD NEWS on sooooooo many levels. Heck, they may not have to do anything, but watch us tear each other up, from limb to limb. Think not? Wait! It's coming!

No one has noticed the rise in overweight people? Anyone paying attention to the amount of people on prescription drugs? And alcohol? People drink like it's water. This lifestyle is UNSUSTAINABLE!!!

I really hope you don't think things will be "civil" when the food runs out! If so, you are in for a RUDE AWAKENING!!!

I gotta admit......Batman is NOT the kind of super-hero i would want protecting me. He reminds me today's CROOKED COPS!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by smilesmcgee
Nothing like a good ol' thunderstorm and blackout to get your heart pumping.
I don't use a water cooler, drink from the tap, so I never have more than a litre or two of water on hand. I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Just in one spare basement room I have 150 gallons of clean water treated for long term storage and a hand pump, propane ventless heaters, etc. We wont speak of my pantry room.. its a grocery store. When an mini-emergecy or a major-emergency hits here.. Im going to do what I can do to not let my family down!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I was in the stafford area, not too far from hwy 6 and experienced the same weather phenomena. Very eerie skies producing gusty winds, lightning, and sprinkles of rain. It was amazing how quickly the weather trained, luckily my bob is always ready to go. One in the car and one at home

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

I don't use a water cooler, drink from the tap, so I never have more than a litre or two of water on hand. I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Just in one spare basement room I have 150 gallons of clean water treated for long term storage and a hand pump, propane ventless heaters, etc. We wont speak of my pantry room.. its a grocery store. When an mini-emergecy or a major-emergency hits here.. Im going to do what I can do to not let my family down!

Thank's.... just remember cousin CrazyGuy when I show up... I am a distant relative lol

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Suggestibility is directly proportional to IQ.

Americans are very easily unsettled.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
We have been preparing for almost a year now and our friends thought we were crazy until recently! We've been stocking up on hygiene items, medical items, I have been canning food and bottling water as well. We will be bugging in for as long as possible and our friends are just now finally starting to understand why we have been doing these things.

The top one that thought we'd gone bonkers came to us about a month ago. He father and brothers have made millions in the seed business; they sell seed to farmers around the world. Now that a major drought has hit they aren't sure what's going to happen. She came to us and told us that her brother was beginning to really worry and now she understood why we'd been stocking up.

When the SHTF we hope we will be ok. I've bought hand crank flashlights, built a solar cooker because there's usually a great deal of sun here in Arizona and we plan to be clean freaks. Disease is normally spread in unsanitary conditions so make sure that when things go to hell you at least have some hand soap!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Where I live, we experience a relatively big storm every 4 years or so. Supposed tornadoes pass through - though they be very vague, hardly a tornado, merely cyclone (our lingo for hurricane) force winds.

Power goes out for a few days in the larger towns, mobile phone networks go down, internet goes down.
The city/townsfolk lose it - much as to how you experienced. Except storms here... Well, up north there's some pretty venerable things that come from the sky, but here. Laughable, nice dark clouds roll by, some 100 km/h (60m/h) winds and less than 2 inches of rain over 4 days - about that. That's our storm, our pathetic little thing.
This is in lower Western Australia - dominated by farmland and a few sporadic towns sprinkled across the place. Not much here, compared to what much of the Euro's and Yanks have established.

These little towns are much alike a colony of ants. The storm is the black powder funnelled into the the colony and lit. Heaps of people swarm about ravaging everything and updating the social networks of their ironically useless network providers and stuff. Constantly whining about the terrible inconvenience it causes. We got kicked out of school a few months ago (not that I should be complaining about that..) from a supposed überstorm that was unprecedented. People soiled themselves over a few trees fallen.

I mean come on! How pathetic is it really? I know yes there's big stormy clouds and stuff, but there's no need to fall straight back into the dog-eat-dog primal nature that our ancestors were built upon - through climatic shifts without technology as such we have now. The storms we get are like a shaken Coke compared to some of what you guys get, and yet our people behave the same way.

We don't need as much preparation as you guys may with some of your storms, but here, I'd atleast expect some sort of back ups and that.

Seems only the country people and farmers know the way of the land.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Give a thought to those of us without the resources to be prepared... all the cash goes to rent, utilities, food, and bills.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
Last night in Houston, TX a small storm cell rolled in. It brought very little rain pretty gusty winds. The sky was very menacing with the setting sun adding an eerie hue to the under side of the incoming storm. I was at home and decided to go to the closest main road (hwy6) and grab some fast food. glimpse

...: title

man come to the nawf side of Houston, where SHTF everyday

edit on 13-8-2012 by braydenf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Yeah, the whole process begins by "living BELOW your means."

It's the whole story of the grasshopper and the ant. The ant could put back for winter because he worked on his stockpile while the grasshopper was "relaxing." The ant was intentionally "doing without" in the present, in order to have a surplus in the future.

Do you have internet? Cable? Video games and a computer? Do you eat out? Just by cooking at home, you cut your expenses by about 50% per meal at home.... That money goes in a jar.....and now you're a prepper....

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by tovenar

Yeah, the whole process begins by "living BELOW your means."

It's the whole story of the grasshopper and the ant. The ant could put back for winter because he worked on his stockpile while the grasshopper was "relaxing." The ant was intentionally "doing without" in the present, in order to have a surplus in the future.

Do you have internet? Cable? Video games and a computer? Do you eat out? Just by cooking at home, you cut your expenses by about 50% per meal at home.... That money goes in a jar.....and now you're a prepper....

yeah i saw bugs life...

for real, cooking at home, saves you so much money and is much more healthy/tasty.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by braydenf
for real, cooking at home, saves you so much money and is much more healthy/tasty.

And is prepper oriented. Get yourself a propane tank and grill for the back yard; when the power goes out, you just cook on the porch instead of the now useless kitchen.

Making stuff from scratch also means having the scratch on hand when the power goes out and the stores are empty.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

You live in Texas and you are going to Taco Bell?

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Same thing here in San Diego County.
Last year, on September 8, 2011 a little after 3:30 pm, we had the biggest blackout ever to hit California.
That Thursday was my son's first day in school, as he was a late sign-up. During the day, I had run errands and noticed that my gas was getting low and thought I would get some later that evening on the way back home from school. A little voice in my head said "No, get it NOW." Glad I listened. The day was blistering hot.
At 2:30pm, I picked up my son and had a chat with his new teacher. Around 2:50, got in the car with my son and headed towards my mother's house nearby. We arrived around 3:10 and went inside and sat and talked about the heat and other things. Preparing to go back out, around 3:30pm, we heard a strange noise and then, suddenly BEEEEOoooooppp. All power went out.
I said "Uh-oh."
I remember looking at my mom and her looking at me. We waited a minute and realized it was no glitch, it was truly off. The quietness was bizarre. We walked outside to see if it was a neighborhood thing, or what-not.
I grabbed my cell phone and tried to call my husband and that is when I got a real feeling of dread. There was no service. I am not an avid cell phone user, but that one thing for some reason really creeped me out. My mom and I looked at each other and realized this could be the real deal. Trying not to upset my teenage daughter who was worried that this was the grid collapse, we decided to get in the car and drive to see how far the blackout was. But first, I instructed everyone to fill up every clean usable container with water and the bathtub, too.
Got ready to get into the car and then realized we could not leave the parking lot as the gates were stuck closed.
Finally, some maintenance men forced the gates open. We started to drive up the street and barely got a few blocks away. EVERYWHERE the eye could see, was TOTALLY grid-locked traffic. It was descending into mayhem, and quickly. It took me a half an hour just to get back down the street. It was barely an hour after the power went out and rush hour. We listened to the radio in the car and I felt a little stomach lurch as radio stations were using their backup power to broadcast just how far the blackout was. The Emergency Broadcast System was up and running. Sirens were everywhere, people losing it. We came back home to avoid using up gas.
What happened afterwards, however, was kind of interesting. All the neighbors, most of who never spoke to one another at all, came outside. People pulled out chairs and struck up conversations. Someone brought out a portable radio. My daughter got out some board games and we sat on the sidewalk playing. Next door, someone fired up the grill and said "Well I don't want all this meat to go to waste!" as they were now saying on the radio it could be Saturday before the power came on. Everyone shared stories and information. Sometimes, a bedraggled neighbor would come walking up, explaining how it took them two hours to get from two miles away. Others described total chaos on the highways.
I managed to make contact with my husband as some of the cell towers were running now on backup. He said he was about to run out of gas and was not sure he could make it home from work. That was the last I heard from him. He had described cars on the sides of the road, out of gas and people walking everywhere.
As the evening cooled down, and dusk came, some neighbors said Target was up and running on back-up. We decided to walk over and see. We took the dog. It was quite surreal. People were going nuts. I managed to secure a few more jugs of water..but people were clearing it out very quickly. I got some foods that would last a while and we walked through the store calmly as everyone around us was losing it. We walked back home in the pitch dark, the only lights from the starlit sky and the moon. I was amazed how quiet it all was. I realized I had not heard that quiet since I was a child.
Arriving back home, some neighbors said the grocery store up the block was open, too so we headed that way and got some more water and supplies. People were much calmer in there and we ran in to the neighbors again.
We got back to my mom's and started to light candles and suddenly, the power came back on. Just like that.
We got home around midnight and my house still had no power. I found my husband sitting in the dark with a candle going. It was interesting to do things the old way..with no contact..no idea what the other was doing or if he had even gotten home!
It did not come back on til 3 or 4 am.
Since then, I have been a lot more prepared. I never let my gas level go below 1/3 and preferably 1/2 tank. I get more water than what is needed and try to stay stocked with canned goods and pet food. We developed meeting points with the family and emergency plans.
I still think the blackout was a TEST. For what, well, that remains to be seen.
edit on 13-8-2012 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I just had my hydro cut off because my ex was supposed to be paying it and refused, but long story short, I had to come up with the entire bill and a reconnection fee which was more than about 3 month rent alone up here....

Long story short, I have been preparing for so long, and camped so much that I was fine.

It was fun actually.

I had a bunch of friends over to barbecue the meat the first few days, I had candles, my neighbours came over with candles (remember all of their power was on, but it was still fun to visit my house instead).

We played board games and friends came over and played the guitar and had singalongs etc..... I used my solar panels to keep the internet going and my phone and laptop charged... ( I have a landline phone as well so the internet was ok thanks goodness.)

Long story short.... because I was doing so well, I just kept it off for the whole month and saved money, instead of panicking and freaking out to turn it on right away.

We have a wood stove for cooking in the winter, and a fireplace for heating the upstairs etc.

My paranoia is paying off more and more these past few years.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
The same thing happened to me, it was after work....was a long day and I didn't feel like cooking dinner so I went to Subway to pick up a sub while driving home. While in the store a lady was buying subs for her family (from a city nearby), apparently the power was off for most of the day and she was complaining how she couldn't cook.

I looked at her and said, what if the power was off for a week, for a month....what would you do. She just looked at me and said the government would look after us. I was in utter shock. People are SO UNPREPARED, they actually believe that big brother, when things are at its worst, will look after you.

We all call ourselves civilized, but that "civilization" can be stripped very easily.

edit on 11-8-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

Oh no she didn't say that the government would take care of her? LOL. My goodness she hasn't been paying attention with each disaster for last twenty years FEMA has done less and less. Two years ago when tornadoes tore threw the Midwest FEMA handed out a few bottles of water to the devastated town and the people were own their own. Sooooo, what do she think the government's gonna do for her if something catastrophic happens now? She's the zombie Homeland Security spoke of in their Zombie Handbook. There are those who go through life thinking the government will have a contingency plan in place to save them. These are the people who will be out of control when they discover no help will be coming.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

OMG! We went through the same stupid thing recently. It is like they are part of an inflexable machine!

When I was working at a Grocery store many many years ago. We had a 2-3 day power outage. After seeing the shelves stripped and the mad hordes trying to buy stuff with no running registers I vowed never to be in that mess ever!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyguy2012

Originally posted by Advantage

Thank's.... just remember cousin CrazyGuy when I show up... I am a distant relative lol

ROFL! You bet! Say... can you cut wood? No free rides around here.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join