It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perseid Meteor Shower Tonight!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Good evening from Norway Ats,

As a lover of the sky and stars, I am so excited for this astronomical event

I come here to remind you what is happening and encourage you to get an early nap so you can stay up some and watch the beauty of space! I hope you all have clear skies tonight, right now its looking good over Norway, last two nights have been clear here.
So check your weather channel or have a peek out your window and make sure you have a good view tonight or tomorrow

Here is an article about the meteor shower for more details;

earthsky.org

Cheers to you all, enjoy the show

~ Love is an art
edit on 11-8-2012 by LoveisanArt because: (no reason given)

edit: Sorry if this isnt the appropiate forum Mods, I didnt think space exploration would of been so.. please move where you feel neccessary, thanks
edit on 11-8-2012 by LoveisanArt because: eta

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by LoveisanArt

Caught a few of the early Perseids last night. If tonight is even better, I'll be out all night with my eyes to the skies!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
If it's clear, I'm going to try some long exposure photos to see if I can catch a few falling stars

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Mostly cloudy right now in MW USA, I am hoping for some clearer skies come nightfall. This will be a cool event with a couple planets and the crescent moon in the picture too.

Staying up late, and getting up early for the next couple nights. thanks for the heads-up, pun intended.

~Rev

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

oooh goodluck DJW! Please if you can post your photos here
I think many would love to see that.

When photos are released online, I will post some of them here so anyone who missed it can see

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'll be heading to the lake tonight to get a clear view of the sky. That is, of course, providing that the skies are clear. The Persieds are my favourite meteor shower. While other showers can be more active, at least these take place in the summer where one can recline in a lounge chair or just lay back on the lawn and enjoy a summer night while viewing a celestial show.

Now all I have to worry about are mosquitoes and the possibility that the skies might be overcast.....

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Hi I'm in the UK near London can anyone tell me what time to start looking (if there is a time) and what direction to look, I know I can look for the info myself but I'm at work and being really lazy

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

No problem, the best time is around midnight. But Im sure you will see the shower regardless of the night time. Every direction of the sky should have streaks, so you dont need to look for a specific region either

Enjoy

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by benevolent tyrant

Im heading to the lake tonight too! Away from city lights and the half moon will be behind my location, so just me, the lake, and a clear sky

Im from Ontario too btw! Kingston exactly. So I know how the mosquitoes are over there.. I just moved to Norway last month to be with my partner

Hope you get clear skies BT, take care

~ Love

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply mate just hoping this light high altitude cloud disappears

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

No problem brother.. annoyingly the clouds are rolling in now
Hope they blow over in the next few hours..

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Hello from Kent
Cloudy here so looks like i've stayed up late for nothing
Never mind... there always next year

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Beautiful view here in Buffalo, NY. Layed on my roof for a half hour and saw about 10. A couple lit up the night sky enough to see the contrail. Good stuff!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Perfect conditions here in mid mo. Was out watering earlier and saw several already! Am making plans to go out with the kids after i get off the internet!
I really wanted to go to the lake and lay back under the stars but cant pull it off tonight...

Have fun everyone.

OH BTW, look to the Northeast skies for the best ones, there will be fireballs as well as shooting stars! I have seen both over the past 24 hours. It is a great year for the Perseid s.
edit on 11-8-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Got to see about 6-8 tonight in NE Kentucky. Beautiful!

(that was in moderately lit areas as well... I would have loved to have been in complete darkness... guess next year I'll scout for a good place to see them better!
)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Thank you for the advice antar

I hope you enjoyed the first show with your family. A couple hours before the show, clouds rolled in and took the whole sky
So I missed it .. its sunny and clear now so I hope it holds until tomorrow!

Take care,

~ Love is an art

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

There is still tonight. My night was filled with the aroma of 3 laughing teen boys... Pee-You!!!

Still we did see some beautiful fireballs and many meteor's. There were several I swear looked like they were swirling and or zigzagging.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I belive you Antar, maybe it was the starships

I found a nice location at the edge of the city, a patio restaruant on the lake with wicker-set chairs.. of course 12am it is closed and no one was around, so I had a beautiful spot overlooking the lake all to myself.You can see where I was here I saw 14 meteors and about 8 what we would label "satellites" cruising through space. I love star gazing ^_^

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
my friend was telling me he was going up to the mountains to watch a meteor shower.

I told him to watch out for bigfoot.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Wow, really? What a place to watch from. Thanks for the picture, it was void of people at the time?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join