It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is AMERICA a mediocre continent?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Has anyone taken a peek at the latest Olympic records?

USA 41 gold medals
CHINA 37 Gold medals.

But, neither China nor the US of A is a "one country". It's a collection of states. So, if we take this into perspective.

EU 80 Gold medals.
USA 41 Gold medals.
China 37 Gold medals.

Europe has more Gold medals, than China and USA together. The population in the EU, is roughly equivalent of the United States. More over, if you look at the statistics per continent.

Europe 108 Golds, 374 total
Asia 69 Golds, 211 total.
America 56 Golds, 170 total
Australia 11 Golds, 43 total.
Africa 10 Golds, 27 total.

Looks to me, that America is just a mediocre place. They don't compare to Asia, and have absolutely no hope of ever getting close to Europe.

Do I hear people sing: America! America!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
You DO know that there are more than the US in North America, right? Let's talk about the Olympics when we get back to the winter ones. There's this little county in NA called Canada.

ETA: Not bad for a nation of only 35 million people:

en.wikipedia.org...

Nods to Norway. Even less people and successful.
edit on 11-8-2012 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
No state in America is a country unlike the EU where each place IS a individual country. If the EU is one country then why are there individual countries participating? Why not just have them compete as the EU? China is also one country made up of Provinces.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by bjarneorn
the statistics per continent.

Europe 108 Golds, 374 total
Asia 69 Golds, 211 total.
America 56 Golds, 170 total
Australia 11 Golds, 43 total.
Africa 10 Golds, 27 total.

haha cool i never knew it that way.

never been that much interested in sports anyway.

mehhhhhhhhhh

but lol anyway.

peace.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
You DO know that there are more than the US in North America, right? Let's talk about the Olympics when we get back to the winter ones. There's this little county in NA called Canada.

I think he's talking about the country not the continent he looks to not be able to distinguish between the two.. Although as mixed up as he is he would say the same about Canada.
edit on 11-8-2012 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
This thread might actually hold some weight if each state in the U.S. had it's own representatives for the Olympics. You know? Kind of like how each little country in Europe has their own representatives. More athletes, more medals.You can cherry pick statistics however you like, but that doesn't make your point any more relevant.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
That's a pretty darn awesome perspective

S&F

Woo, Go Europe!!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Infernalis

Actually, if we took into account the whole of the British Empire, we'd be flying light years ahead.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
"Of our 70 USA medals, 30 are in swimming and 13 are in track & field. We've only medaled in 12 separate events compared to China which has medaled in 16, Russia in 14, and Great Britian in 13. In fact, China hasn't earned more than 10 medals in any one event. Russia hasn't earned more than 8. Great Britian has earned 9 in two events.

Basically what I'm saying is, we're not dominating. We completely dominate swimming where you can rack up an absurd amount of medals in different strokes with different lengths with relatively few athletes. If you take out swimming, we're barely in 4th place. If you take out each country's best event, we're in 4th place. That's how disproportionately the swimming medals impact the medal count."

US is really good at swimming and track... but China and other countries have more medals in different sports. So over half USA total medals have been in TWO sports. But US isn't that good at other stuff. When the men basketball team wins gold Sunday that will only count as one. Our wrestling team isn't doing so well. Don't follow many of the sports.. so this of course will change as the event goes on.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
who gives a poop,i wonder where you are from?then again nevermind because i do not care,derp thread.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I've been to every continent except Australia and Antarctica. As far as I'm concerned they are all equally mediocre. Or equally magical. Take your pick.

And what do Olympic medals have to do with the price of tea in Transylvania, anyway?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Which American president was he that said " there are lie's,damn lie's, and statistic's" ? (I think it was a potus, not sure) anyway, another good saying, " 87% of statistics are made up on the spot" Anything can be bent to suit your mindset.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
People from the US think there is only one American continent, what about South America? You guys say America and you mean North America. There are two Americas.

So yeah in North America you have the USA, Canada and Mexico, then the smaller central american nations like Cuba and Haiti, the West Indies etc.

Once you have a proper grasp of geography then you can properly tally the medals by continent lol.

I would be interested to see how south america performed as a continent compared to the others.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I don't know what's more sad. The nonsensical logic behind this theory, or the bandwagon jumpers who support it unconditionally without taking the time to critically think about it. The U.S. is mediocre? Hell yeah! I'll S&F this thread!ETA: I see the anti U.S. kool-aid is strong today. Drink up! It tastes good, doesn't it?
edit on 11-8-2012 by GD21D because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
No state in America is a country unlike the EU where each place IS a individual country. If the EU is one country then why are there individual countries participating? Why not just have them compete as the EU? China is also one country made up of Provinces.

Wrong.

The United States, in and by itself ... has people from all over the world. So, the US, is in effect a multiple set of nations, within.

Ethnicity of Americans

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
We are bombarded every day, by information on the US of A. The media is full of it ... and, more to the point, we hear the same echo over and over again.

The best of the best of the best of the best ...

As a continent, the Americas are both south and north America, not distinguished. And the fact, that Asia beats the Americas is formiddable in my opinion. You have a lot of people, but also a lot of poverty ... sports are not in high regard. But obviously Asia is getting up on it's feet ...

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by GD21D
More athletes, more medals.

That doesn't hold much water, does it ...

The only time, it might matter ... is if you have to compete "several" times to get to the finals. It's part of the competition. But nothing stops the US in providing several contestants for an event, never has ... that's entirely up to you. It's not uncommon, that one country has more than one contestant in the finals for one event.

edit on 11/8/2012 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by bjarneorn

Originally posted by buster2010

Wrong.

The United States, in and by itself ... has people from all over the world. So, the US, is in effect a multiple set of nations, within.

Ethnicity of Americans

Was my post too hard for you to understand? America is known as the melting pot where people from all over the world come to be Americans. Now when you actually learn the difference from a country and a continent then start running your mouth. And as far as your multiple set of nations the same can be said of the EU because you have people from different nations living in nations not of their origin.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
What's with the incites to negative reaction with terms like "mediocre"?

All those people that practice sports and are at the Olympics work very hard and they know that they can't always win, given that's the nature of it.

That doesn't make anyone of them any less in value.Just poor brainwashed thinking...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join