It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Romney to tap Ryan as vice presidential running mate: source

page: 4
7
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
[
I'm only 43 (today !), but I feel that by the time I retire it won't be until I'm 75 or 80.


Unless your running your own business or employed by the government/academia, you will find it almost impossible to work until your 75 or 80. Now days most companies won't hire you once you hit 55 unless their is not enough younger candidates in that field.


Raising the retirement ages is creating a large time frame where many older people can't find work due to their age, but can't retire due to their age. In the past companies use to appreciate expertise and skill of older workers. Now they are more worried about the potential higher health care costs.

edit on 11-8-2012 by Kaploink because: (no reason given)




posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag
reply to post by Eurisko2012
 


Do you care to tell me what happens after that?

I predict utter failure for this Romney/Ryan ticket. Failure on the level of John Kerry. Failure on the level of John McCain.

We shall see.


President Mitt Romney will need to pick a great Chairman of the Federal Reserve.

I recommend James Grant. He said he would open a new office at the Federal Reserve.

-- The Office of Unintended Consequences --


QE- 1 , QE - 2 .........



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

Originally posted by babybunnies
[
I'm only 43 (today !), but I feel that by the time I retire it won't be until I'm 75 or 80.


Unless your running your own business or employed by the government/academia, you will find it almost impossible to work until your 75 or 80. Now days most companies won't hire you once you hit 55 unless their is not enough younger candidates in that field.


Raising the retirement ages is creating a large time frame where many older people can't find work due to their age, but can't retire due to their age. In the past companies use to appreciate expertise and skill of older workers. Now they are more worried about the potential higher health care costs.

edit on 11-8-2012 by Kaploink because: (no reason given)


He could start up his own company.


- A Panera Bread Franchise ???............or he could buy his way into an existing small business.



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I have no opinion on the choice of Ryan. What concerns me is what the liberal MSM is going to do to his children. We saw last election that children of a conservative candidate are not off limits. Ryan has small children and it bothers me that these children may be subject to horrendous accusations. I will never forget what the Palin children had to endure.



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
reply to post by longlostbrother
 

Bill Clinton balanced the budget and did a good job financially for this country. Most Americans didn't like how he got us there (like his military cuts) but it was necessary to go there in order to save our financial system Paul Ryans plan isn't going to please many people and there are things I dont' like in it but it is necessary in order to save the financial system from a complete breakdown.

Side Note - Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged was excellent reading and she made some very good points. Have you actually read the book or are you just having a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that she exposed looters and leeches for what they are??



Of course I read the book... It's not good, it's delusional.

She was rightly (no pun intended) lambasted by pretty much every one for decades, until the businessmen on the right realised they had a scapegoat for they're insane dystopian vision, if only people would take objectivism seriously... that only took a few decades.

Now we have someone idiotic enough to actually think that Rand's hellscape is a proper vision for America. IT's just disgusting.



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I can imagine a Ryan/Biden debate.

RYAN: And this is my plan to return fiscal responsibility back to DC. . . .

BIDEN: I like shiny things. . . . . .



I think that it would be more on the lines of:

RYAN: And I have a plan to fix the budget that's super brilliant and far too complex for you all to understand!

BIDEN: Yeah jackass, but real economists say that it's 100% bull droppings that would disembowel Medicare.



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
reply to post by Eurisko2012
 


Sorry, but the days of retiring at 65 are long gone, at least for my generation. 65 was instituted with social security in the 1930's in most instances, when most people died before they were 70. Now, people are on social security for 30 years or more, and actively healthy way into their late 70's.

I'm only 43 (today !), but I feel that by the time I retire it won't be until I'm 75 or 80. It's no wonder social security is going broke, when we expect people to work from the time their 22/23 (allowing for time in University) until their 65, pay a very small percentage into social security, then claim it for potentially the next 30 - 40 years at full rate. It simply doesn't make sense any more.


I normally let this slide, because I have already stated it and honestly I feel it will fall on deaf ears.

But, the hell with it, the FICA lesson for today:

FICA is 12.4% (You pay 6.2% and your employer pays 6.2%. If you are self employed, you pay the whole 12.4%)

Lets say one makes $40,000 a year for 42 years (start at 23 end at 65). For simplicity, no raises, bonuses etc.

12.4% @ 40,000 = $4960 per year * 42 years = $208,320

Now the government "borrows" this money with interest (although I doubt they will ever pay it back), so lets add yearly compounded interest at a conservative 3%.

$419,040.11 is that " very small percentage into social security" you mentioned.

The real reason SS is going broke is the the US government has not paid back one dime on the money they "borrowed" from SS, which just happens to be all the surplus collected over what they pay out in benefits.
Now the Feds are talking about cutting or stopping SS, and it has nothing to do with its costs as it has been in surplus since inception and continues to this day.
The debt is coming due as the ratio reverses (baby boom retirements), and they do not want to pay.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine when people think that they contribute so little to SS and shortchange themselves, while the Federal government tries to make their debt to the American people disappear with a simple slight of hand trick.
edit on 11-8-2012 by Dreamwatcher because: Spelling



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg

Originally posted by beezzer
I can imagine a Ryan/Biden debate.

RYAN: And this is my plan to return fiscal responsibility back to DC. . . .

BIDEN: I like shiny things. . . . . .



I think that it would be more on the lines of:

RYAN: And I have a plan to fix the budget that's super brilliant and far too complex for you all to understand!

BIDEN: Yeah jackass, but real economists say that it's 100% bull droppings that would disembowel Medicare.


It will be more like this.

RYAN: I have a plan to move us safely away from the Fiscal Cliff.


BIDEN: Lets just go over the Fiscal Cliff and push through a nationwide Value Added Tax !

-----------
Romney / Ryan win in a landslide victory for the Republicans.



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamwatcher

Originally posted by babybunnies
reply to post by Eurisko2012
 


Sorry, but the days of retiring at 65 are long gone, at least for my generation. 65 was instituted with social security in the 1930's in most instances, when most people died before they were 70. Now, people are on social security for 30 years or more, and actively healthy way into their late 70's.

I'm only 43 (today !), but I feel that by the time I retire it won't be until I'm 75 or 80. It's no wonder social security is going broke, when we expect people to work from the time their 22/23 (allowing for time in University) until their 65, pay a very small percentage into social security, then claim it for potentially the next 30 - 40 years at full rate. It simply doesn't make sense any more.


I normally let this slide, because I have already stated it and honestly I feel it will fall on deaf ears.

But, the hell with it, the FICA lesson for today:

FICA is 12.4% (You pay 6.2% and your employer pays 6.2%. If you are self employed, you pay the whole 12.4%)

Lets say one makes $40,000 a year for 42 years (start at 23 end at 65). For simplicity, no raises, bonuses etc.

12.4% @ 40,000 = $4960 per year * 42 years = $208,320

Now the government "borrows" this money with interest (although I doubt they will ever pay it back), so lets add yearly compounded interest at a conservative 3%.

$419,040.11 is that " very small percentage into social security" you mentioned.

The real reason SS is going broke is the the US government has not paid back one dime on the money they "borrowed" from SS, which just happens to be all the surplus collected over what they pay out in benefits.
Now the Feds are talking about cutting or stopping SS, and it has nothing to do with its costs as it has been in surplus since inception and continues to this day.
The debt is coming due as the ratio reverses (baby boom retirements), and they do not want to pay.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine when people think that they contribute so little to SS and shortchange themselves, while the Federal government tries to make their debt to the American people disappear with a simple slight of hand trick.
edit on 11-8-2012 by Dreamwatcher because: Spelling


Outstanding post !


A few more posts like that and the truth shall set us free from the Obama nightmare.

-------------------

-- Romney / Ryan 2012 --



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
not 100% sure if its allowed but this is what I posted in the other romney/ryan thread:

I've never seen so many sheeple applaud a choice they think is going to change the direction of this country....

left and right are the same... Romney and Obama are the same.... this election is a clear cut example of how we're spoon fed a false choice given to us by the elitists in this country... and then see these same sheeple defend these elitists claiming that they are going to defend the sheeple when the overall record shows that these same people have been screwing us over for over 100 years... Have fun this election guys... Option A = Option B and Option B = Option A...

No Choice 2012!




posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
not 100% sure if its allowed but this is what I posted in the other romney/ryan thread:

I've never seen so many sheeple applaud a choice they think is going to change the direction of this country....

left and right are the same... Romney and Obama are the same.... this election is a clear cut example of how we're spoon fed a false choice given to us by the elitists in this country... and then see these same sheeple defend these elitists claiming that they are going to defend the sheeple when the overall record shows that these same people have been screwing us over for over 100 years... Have fun this election guys... Option A = Option B and Option B = Option A...

No Choice 2012!



Excellent choice of words! - Change the direction of this country -


The choice - is - that simple.

Romney / Ryan = Change Direction and move away from the - Fiscal Cliff -.

Obama / Biden = Lets go over the Fiscal Cliff and transform America.


--------------

Ladies & Gentlemen: We have a winner !





posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012
 


Romney/Ryan will only slow down our inevitable fall of said cliff....



Its like choosing a painful agonizing death over something quick and painless.

I choose neither... Id rather keep living on instead of doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.
edit on 8/11/2012 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Eurisko, you do know that Ryan is the idiot who wants to gut Medicare don't you? The Romney Unit just lost Florida. I really don't understand why he chose Ryan.



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg
Eurisko, you do know that Ryan is the idiot who wants to gut Medicare don't you? The Romney Unit just lost Florida. I really don't understand why he chose Ryan.


To impress the mainstream media pundits.



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by longlostbrother
To impress the mainstream media pundits.


Dear god, then his campaign staff really can't think their way out of a wet paper bag! Seriously, for a guy with deep pockets he certainly seems to have employed the scrapings from the bottom of the barrel.



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg
Eurisko, you do know that Ryan is the idiot who wants to gut Medicare don't you? The Romney Unit just lost Florida. I really don't understand why he chose Ryan.


This may surprise you but we think 2 steps ahead in the Tea Party.

The MediCare replacement will be 100 times better than what we have today.

I'll give you more info on that January 2013.

---------

In the meantime, vote for Romney / Ryan 2012.

We have a plan.
---------
BTW, have you noticed?

Obama has NO plan. I'm not the only one complaining .

Perhaps you have heard of a guy named Chris Matthews from MSNBC.



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

This may surprise you but we think 2 steps ahead in the Tea Party.

The MediCare replacement will be 100 times better than what we have today.

I'll give you more info on that January 2013.

---------

In the meantime, vote for Romney / Ryan 2012.

We have a plan.
---------
BTW, have you noticed?

Obama has NO plan. I'm not the only one complaining .

Perhaps you have heard of a guy named Chris Matthews from MSNBC.


Erm, Ryan's plans for Medicare are already a matter of public record and have scared the over-55s already. Are you suggesting that there's a super-secret plan that will scare them even more in the works?



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg
 


The current MediCare system is a mess.

Some doctors won't even accept MediCare patients. They lose money.

Don't you think we should do something about that?

The current system is filled with waste,fraud & abuse.


Should we just go along and pretend that it's not?



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
reply to post by AngryCymraeg
 


The current MediCare system is a mess.

Some doctors won't even accept MediCare patients. They lose money.

Don't you think we should do something about that?

The current system is filled with waste,fraud & abuse.


Should we just go along and pretend that it's not?


Shouldn't older people just get access to healthcare they can afford? And the disabled?



posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere
 


Rubio made more sense Romney just handed Obama 4 more

This country is damned.,



new topics

top topics



 
7
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join