It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney to tap Ryan as vice presidential running mate: source

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
Paul Ryan was in the top 3 or 4 on the short list and makes sense on several levels:
1) He will energize he conservative (tea party) base more than most others considered.
2) You wont here others talk about the "name" but it is a consideration (almost subliminal):
a) there is the alliteration from the "R" first letter of the last name ("Romney-Ryan")
b) 3 out of 4 of the letters in RYaN are shared by RomNeY (pleasing to the subconscious)
c) Romney has 6 letters which is greater than Ryan with 4 (President > Vice President)
(i) The total of Romney & Ryan (as it will be used together) is 10 letters suggesting completion
(ii) not relevant to the VP but I just noticed that "ROMnEy" has "ROME" in it ("all roads lead to...")

As to #2 above; OBAMA-BIDEN has the subtle alliteration in the "B" sound and both names have 5 letters (balance and totals 10).

edit on 11-8-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

Paul Ryan knows the statistics of our government backwards and forwards.

Step 1: Reform Social Security : Follow Canada : Raise early retirement age to 65.

Full retirement at age 67. People are living longer.

Step 2: Repeal ObamaCare and Replace with a solution that includes tort reform.

That should keep Vice President Paul Ryan busy for awhile.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
And then Romney introduces Ryan as "The next President of The United States" then backtracks and decides he meant Vice President.

He can't even get the announcement of his running mate correct, potentially the biggest announcement of his campaign. Why are people voting for him?

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I'd love to see a Romney / Ryan debate. Paul Ryan would slaughter Mitt.

Debate predictions? Obama will beat Romney handily in both debates, Ryan and Biden will probably split theirs, one each.

Is there only one VP debate? If so, I'd give it to Ryan.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
Romney chose Paul Ryan?

The guy who voted yes on making the Patriot Act permanent?
The guy who voted yes on the NDAA?
The guy who is committed to continued military aid and support to Israel?
The guy who voted yes on authorizing military action against Iraq in 2003?
The guy who wanted to privatize medicare?

I mean, exactly what will Paul Ryan contribute to the ticket other than to woo tea party voters who will vote for Romney regardless?

Does Romney want Wisconsin that badly? I hardly think Wisconsin is worth Romney risking Paul Ryan on his ticket.

Southern, I don't think Romney has the Tea Party wrapped up. I think that is the real problem. My sister a teahadi has serious doubts about Romney. I have not found anyone stating they are voting for Romney but they are voting against Obama.... and I see that as a big issue!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
And then Romney introduces Ryan as "The next President of The United States" then backtracks and decides he meant Vice President.

He can't even get the announcement of his running mate correct, potentially the biggest announcement of his campaign. Why are people voting for him?

www.bbc.co.uk...

Because he has a tonne of money and his closest rival was Rick "Holy Inquisition" Santorum. The GOP is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Sorry, but the days of retiring at 65 are long gone, at least for my generation. 65 was instituted with social security in the 1930's in most instances, when most people died before they were 70. Now, people are on social security for 30 years or more, and actively healthy way into their late 70's.

I'm only 43 (today !), but I feel that by the time I retire it won't be until I'm 75 or 80. It's no wonder social security is going broke, when we expect people to work from the time their 22/23 (allowing for time in University) until their 65, pay a very small percentage into social security, then claim it for potentially the next 30 - 40 years at full rate. It simply doesn't make sense any more.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Debate predictions? Obama will beat Romney handily in both debates, Ryan and Biden will probably split theirs, one each.

I see the VP debate turning into a shouting match about the national debt and deficit.

---------------

I hope NBC is not one of the moderators this year.

Remember how they tossed softball questions to Obama and gave Hillary

all of the hard questions?

Saturday Night Live did a skit about it.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Wow. What a corny speech by P. Ryan. I'm actually sorry for those cheering people...

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Well, this should be popular with ATS since the solution is burn everything down to most of them anyway. I think it's a good choice if he wants to get the support of the conservative base. Looks like euro-style austerity is finally coming to the U.S.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by hdutton

I am not sure of who else is on my local Democratic ballot, but a straight vote would be the surest way of NOT voting Republican and getting some Tea Party Crazy!

It takes a brave man to admit he is a fool. You're obviously very brave. Screw research! Just go D!

Ah yeah, cause everyone who doesn't vote the way you do is a fool.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
Does Romney want Wisconsin that badly? I hardly think Wisconsin is worth Romney risking Paul Ryan on his ticket.

I don't see that Ryan will be likely to give Romney enough of a boost to win there. He's not been elected to state-wide office (Governor or Senator), so we only know that he's popular in his own district and at present in the polling Wisconsin is only barely still in play, Obama has a pretty healthy lead there.

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Rubio would have made more sense. I wonder if he was asked and said no.

I have a feeling Rubio would have turned it down if asked, and maybe did. He's still very young (not that Ryan isn't, but Rubio is younger still). Rubio is looking to 2016 or even beyond that. I think he's probably realized being on this ticket could be a sure way of damaging any future prospects at national office.

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I'm surprised he didn't go with Rubio.
But it's a good choice. Although it means he just lost Florida.

Florida is still very much a toss-up in the polling and has been trending more conservative in recent elections, though only just barely. Obama winning there last time doesn't change the over-all trend of the place, that had more to do with who was on the ballot as anything. Even so, Romney can win Florida and still lose the election, in fact it's still pretty hard for him to win the election even with Florida in his column. The state-by-state polls are not looking good for him, even if the national polls are close.

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg
Isn't Ryan the idiot from Wisconsin who wants to effectively gut Medicare and whose budget ideas are utterly unrealistic? That Paul Ryan? Holy underwear, is Romney really that clueless? He just seems to tack aimlessly about. Hmmm. Looks like the Romney Unit has more software problems than I thought.

Yes, that's pretty much who he is. One of my friends, who is not only a political junkie but a pretty brilliant political prognosticator for these things -- and also very liberal -- said to me last night that if he could have chosen any of the potential Republican VP nominees to put on their ballot to give them the least chance of winning he would have picked Ryan for them. He's overjoyed by this. From his point of view the Obama Campaign will have an easy time of painting a Romney/Ryan ticket as the guys you should elect if you want to crush the middle class and the poor and further enrich the already wealthy. The ticket you should pick if you want to ensure that you have no safety net in place for you when you get old, etc., etc. He's usually right about these things, I'm interested to see if he's right again.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath

Yes, that's pretty much who he is. One of my friends, who is not only a political junkie but a pretty brilliant political prognosticator for these things -- and also very liberal -- said to me last night that if he could have chosen any of the potential Republican VP nominees to put on their ballot to give them the least chance of winning he would have picked Ryan for them. He's overjoyed by this. From his point of view the Obama Campaign will have an easy time of painting a Romney/Ryan ticket as the guys you should elect if you want to crush the middle class and the poor and further enrich the already wealthy. The ticket you should pick if you want to ensure that you have no safety net in place for you when you get old, etc., etc. He's usually right about these things, I'm interested to see if he's right again.

This is my sense as well. Of course you will be lambasted for promoting "Class warfare", but really it's just people bashing you for looking out for your own interests. Barring some major sex scandal I doubt Romney is going to win. I think Rubio knew that. If he latches onto this train he's got no future for himself. However, he would have been a better choice and would have brought in lots of Hispanic voters, but I don't think it would have won him the election.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Side Note - Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged was excellent reading and she made some very good points. Have you actually read the book or are you just having a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that she exposed looters and leeches for what they are??

HI Flyersfan, Of course you do realize that today looters and leeches include big business, unions, non-profits like the Chamber of Commerce and corporations who have taken over the USA in a "cash coup"?

working on foreclosures I have seen the effects of the trickle down economic where 50 percent of government monies are scrapped off the top by giant contractors with political connections..

remember New Orleans and the hundreds of billions of dollars sent there to rebuild the city? after the dust settled it appeared the money just evaporated? Well, what happened was the prime contractors subbed the work out to someone elese then they subcontracted it out to the person who did the actual job but the top two layers of contractors took 40-50 percent of the project bid off the top while the guy who did the work got maybe half the money if he was lucky..

here is one example. The winds blew the shingles off the roofs.. FEMA paid $2.25 per square foot to tarp the roofs. the guy paid the gas to go to the job; bought the tarp and climbed up on the roof and put the tarp on got only .25 cents per square foot.

The rest was scrapped off ... this is why our governments money seems to vanish in to thin air.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Looks like four more years of Obama. The GOP threw away their chance at the white house when they turned on Ron Paul.

And to top it off,

Romney to tap Ryan as vice presidential running mate

Have we learned nothing here? You can't simply "tap" a politician, anyone that has been paying attention knows the "double-tap" is crucial in situations like this. I seem to recall it works pretty well on regular zombies as well.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

Paul Ryan is the second awful coming of Sarah Palin.

I truly cannot wait to see the media circus fire up full circle over this.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
and obama rejoices

rayn wants to fund tax breaks fore the rich with cuts from medicare

easy to campaign against this guy

easy

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Pretty sure there will only be one VP debate, that's how it's been for as long as I can remember with these things, and I've been following them closely since the 80's.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag
reply to post by LifeInDeath

Paul Ryan is the second awful coming of Sarah Palin.

I truly cannot wait to see the media circus fire up full circle over this.

It will be all over and in the history books in less than 3 months.

-------------

Romney / Ryan heading to the White House for the Republicans.

It's a done deal.

--------------

The American people are not going to elect a loser Obama who hands them a

GDP of 1.5%.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Do you care to tell me what happens after that?

I predict utter failure for this Romney/Ryan ticket. Failure on the level of John Kerry. Failure on the level of John McCain.

We shall see.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I can imagine a Ryan/Biden debate.

RYAN: And this is my plan to return fiscal responsibility back to DC. . . .

BIDEN: I like shiny things. . . . . .

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join