It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hand gun issues? LMAO!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I had to post this story... it made me roar!!

An American tourist who felt the need to pack heat in a Calgary park has set off a storm of social media ridicule.

Earlier this week, Walt Wawra detailed an unnerving recent run-in with two young men who asked if he had been to the Calgary Stampede in a “very aggressive tone.”

The off-duty cop from Kalamazoo, Mich., brushed them off, but lamented his lack of a handgun in a letter to the Herald.

Wawra’s response to the seemingly mundane, daylight encounter has sparked scorn across the Internet.

Gawker.com called Wawra the “laughingstock of Canada.”

“Walt Wawra is why we can’t have nice things,” wrote blogger Shea Wong.

The Huffington Post Canada described it as “Fear and Loathing in Cowtown.”

Wawra did not return requests for an interview Wednesday. However, he previously detailed his account of a chance meeting in a letter to the editor.

During a trip through Nose Hill Park with his wife, the couple were asked by two men if they had “Been to the Stampede yet?”

Wawra didn’t reply, and was asked again. The aggressive tone had the off-duty cop instinctively reaching for his handgun.

“I quickly moved between these two and my wife, replying, ‘Gentlemen, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye,’ ” he wrote.

Despite describing the men as bewildered, Wawra thanked “the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort.”

The 20-year officer lamented the strange feeling of being unarmed.

“Many would say I have no need to carry (a gun) in Canada,” Wawra wrote. “Yet the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be allowed to protect himself if the need arises.”

Congregating under the Twitter hashtag: #NoseHillGentlemen, the Twittersphere mocked the officer’s paranoia after his letter was posted online.

“At the off leash this morning when two terriers started to sniff my dog, If only Canada would allow my dog to pack heat. #nosehillgentlemen,” wrote Connor Turner.

“Ice cream truck just sped past house. Sir, I have no need for your refreshing pseudo-milk product treats. Goodbye. #NoseHillGentlemen,” teased Kikki Planet.

Chris Turner, one of the masterminds behind the trending tag, said it shows the power of social media.

“It’s an absurd, silly little demonstration of how powerful this tool is,” said Turner, a Calgary journalist and author.

Rebecca Sullivan, a professor of cultural studies at the University of Calgary, said the story has a short shelf life given a rapid news cycle.

But it will evolve into other discussions about park safety, border politics or the Stampede, Sullivan said.

“That’s what conversations do,” she said.

Well i'd say its a damn good thing we don't allow hand guns in Canada... Because we'd likely have two innocent "dead" people in Calgary!

Believe it or not... Canadians are friendly... even to strangers for the most part... We don't carry Guns up here because idiots kill people when they get a hold of guns... And theres idiots everywhere in this world...

Personally i think IF someone walked up to me and asked "been to the stampede lately"... i'd definatly feel the need to pack heat... i mean c'mon... that is a serious threat

Im sorry but you americans need to lose your guns... The right to bare arms doesn't mean everyone should carry a gun... it was from earlier times... and it gave you the right to pick up whatever you can find and use it as a weapon... like a pitchfork!!

:bnghd:

Time to change your laws people.... Quit living in Fear...

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
"Hand gun issues? LMAO!!, page 1"

Originally posted by Akragon
I had to post this story... it made me roar!!

An American tourist who felt the need to pack heat in a Calgary park has set off a storm of social media ridicule.

Earlier this week, Walt Wawra detailed an unnerving recent run-in with two young men who asked if he had been to the Calgary Stampede in a “very aggressive tone.”

The off-duty cop from Kalamazoo, Mich., brushed them off, but lamented his lack of a handgun in a letter to the Herald.

Wawra’s response to the seemingly mundane, daylight encounter has sparked scorn across the Internet.

Gawker.com called Wawra the “laughingstock of Canada.”

“Walt Wawra is why we can’t have nice things,” wrote blogger Shea Wong.

The Huffington Post Canada described it as “Fear and Loathing in Cowtown.”

Wawra did not return requests for an interview Wednesday. However, he previously detailed his account of a chance meeting in a letter to the editor.

During a trip through Nose Hill Park with his wife, the couple were asked by two men if they had “Been to the Stampede yet?”

Wawra didn’t reply, and was asked again. The aggressive tone had the off-duty cop instinctively reaching for his handgun.

“I quickly moved between these two and my wife, replying, ‘Gentlemen, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye,’ ” he wrote.

Despite describing the men as bewildered, Wawra thanked “the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort.”

The 20-year officer lamented the strange feeling of being unarmed.

“Many would say I have no need to carry (a gun) in Canada,” Wawra wrote. “Yet the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be allowed to protect himself if the need arises.”

Congregating under the Twitter hashtag: #NoseHillGentlemen, the Twittersphere mocked the officer’s paranoia after his letter was posted online.

“At the off leash this morning when two terriers started to sniff my dog, If only Canada would allow my dog to pack heat. #nosehillgentlemen,” wrote Connor Turner.

“Ice cream truck just sped past house. Sir, I have no need for your refreshing pseudo-milk product treats. Goodbye. #NoseHillGentlemen,” teased Kikki Planet.

Chris Turner, one of the masterminds behind the trending tag, said it shows the power of social media.

“It’s an absurd, silly little demonstration of how powerful this tool is,” said Turner, a Calgary journalist and author.

Rebecca Sullivan, a professor of cultural studies at the University of Calgary, said the story has a short shelf life given a rapid news cycle.

But it will evolve into other discussions about park safety, border politics or the Stampede, Sullivan said.

“That’s what conversations do,” she said.

Well i'd say its a damn good thing we don't allow hand guns in Canada... Because we'd likely have two innocent "dead" people in Calgary!

Believe it or not... Canadians are friendly... even to strangers for the most part... We don't carry Guns up here because idiots kill people when they get a hold of guns... And theres idiots everywhere in this world...

Personally i think IF someone walked up to me and asked "been to the stampede lately"... i'd definatly feel the need to pack heat... i mean c'mon... that is a serious threat

Im sorry but you americans need to lose your guns... The right to bare arms doesn't mean everyone should carry a gun... it was from earlier times... and it gave you the right to pick up whatever you can find and use it as a weapon... like a pitchfork!!

:bnghd:

Time to change your laws people.... Quit living in Fear...

? that wasn't funny at all ?

also i disagree

edit on 11-8-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I guess you havent been to kalamazoo. And what if he stabbed the men?

How about you damn foreigners stop telling us how to run our country?
edit on 11-8-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Funny i found it hilarious...

No one is telling you how to run your country by the way... but maybe someone should...

Stabbed the men? WTF are you talking about?

Seems like a touchy subject for Americans eh...

Glad i brought it up!

edit on 11-8-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Funny i found it hilarious...

No one is telling you how to run your country by the way... but maybe someone should...

Stabbed the men? WTF are you talking about?

Seems like a touchy subject for Americans eh...

Glad i brought it up!

You said its time for us to give up our ability to defend ourselves.

And yes, its legal to have a knife in canada and ive brought one across the border many times without even declsring it. just a 3 inch pocket knife. I even got searched once, still have that knife...n

You implied he woulda shot those guys if he had a gun.

So what if he stabbed them?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Then he still falls into the catagory of "idiot"...

Do you usually go around stabbing people that ask you a simple quesiton in america?

Hey wait a minute...

Wern't you the guy asking for second date advice... with a shotgun over your door and an AK47 or something along those lines?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I believe this topic was already posted by "calgarian"?
Either way, I am an avid gunner and found this story hilarious.
Please do not group all of us USicans with this one cop, we all know the "quality" of cops nowadays especially the ones here in the US.
Me myself, I won't go to Canada simply because they are not free.
Sure you can go where you want but if you don't have a 2A equivalent, you are simply not free.
If my northern Brethren ever do decide to stand up and revolt, I'd support them 100 percent!
Until then, my Canuck buddies will have to visit me and not the other way around.

(Edit)
Yeah Calgarian already posted.
edit on 11-8-2012 by g146541 because: Cal

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

So let me get this straight.... We're not free because handguns are illegal?

Sorry i don't see any logic in that statement...

See in Canada if you have a problem with someone you fight it out, with your fists... not with the twitch of a finger.

Thats quite amusing actually... i feel the same way about crossing the boarder... I don't feel safe when i cross the boarder because any idiot and his sister could be holding a gun. And if someone decides to snap i just might be in the wrong place at the wrong time, as many people seem to be lately... even at movie theatres!

Theres no worries here... We don't live in Fear on this side of the map my friend

EDIT: yup... already posted... My bad... Still funny though

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

reply to post by g146541

So let me get this straight.... We're not free because handguns are illegal?

Sorry i don't see any logic in that statement...

See in Canada if you have a problem with someone you fight it out, with your fists... not with the twitch of a finger.

Thats quite amusing actually... i feel the same way about crossing the boarder... I don't feel safe when i cross the boarder because any idiot and his sister could be holding a gun. And if someone decides to snap i just might be in the wrong place at the wrong time, as many people seem to be lately... even at movie theatres!

Theres no worries here... We don't live in Fear on this side of the map my friend.

Exactly, I can own a handgun, several if I want, heck I have a pink one.
Why, because I wanted to.
Canadians cannot, I'd hardly call that freedom.
I see perfect logic, half does not make a whole.
Yes and I understand all you canucks are fighters with proud fists and all but...
Did anyone care to fist fight that shooter in that mall thing?
Or were folks just fist fighting eachother to get away?
Did they ever release that shooters name?
Or even get any evidence?
Or did they just tell the public what they had to to "make them feel safe"?
We here in the US still fight it out with fists, we just have the option to put down idiots if need be, as can be seen in many pro gun videos as of late.
Just too bad there were no citizens with a gun in theatre, temple or a mall.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Actually we can own guns but they have to be registered... And not carried on your person...

Let me put it this way... You don't feel safe comming to Canada, one of the safest countries in the world.... because you can't carry a gun.... Even though no one else carries one either...

Doesn't that say something?

Criminals carry guns here.... Not normal everyday people...

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

reply to post by g146541

Actually we can own guns but they have to be registered... And not carried on your person...

Let me put it this way... You don't feel safe comming to Canada, one of the safest countries in the world.... because you can't carry a gun.... Even though no one else carries one either...

So you think it's safer because criminals do not abide by your laws and carry guns, yet citizens are not allowed the choice to protect themselves against the criminals? I know you think youre being cute and edgy, but this topic has been beat to death. It's great that Canada is so safe, but Canada is not the united states so stop comparing them.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
One reason you cant carry guns in Canada is that when you guys find out that your country sold you out for big oil they dont want you killing them. So every late night stroll in the park is safe up there. Sure no guns sure.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

reply to post by g146541

Of course you can "own" registered guns.
However, I can own as many as I want with no registration, in any color I wish.
Your average person in Canada cannot own a handgun.
Only the masters, peasants cannot own them there.
Why would I go somewhere only the criminals could carry a gun???

Does that make sense?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
How would the Canadians feel about 100 percent disarmament?
Civillian, police and military?
If you guys are so against them.
If you disarm the citizens, the police will have no need for them.
And seriously, what country would be fool enough to attempt to invade the number one US ally?
We would surely destroy any forces that attempted to hurt our Brothers and Sisters to the north, our border brothers!
So how about 100 percent disarmament in Canada, is that cool?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Then he still falls into the catagory of "idiot"...

Do you usually go around stabbing people that ask you a simple quesiton in america?

Hey wait a minute...

Wern't you the guy asking for second date advice... with a shotgun over your door and an AK47 or something along those lines?

I own 9 guns including an ar15 over my door, so what? Who cares? i only carry a 45. Guess im an idiot. I got stod up on the second date by the way. Dude never said he was goin to shoot the guy. And i work in GARY INDIANA. people get stabbed and shot over 5 dollars around those parts....

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

So you think it's safer because criminals do not abide by your laws and carry guns, yet citizens are not allowed the choice to protect themselves against the criminals?

Yes... we try our best to not let Criminals roam the streets... they're only allowed to roam in parlament. And i believe its no different in the US....

I know you think youre being cute and edgy, but this topic has been beat to death.

Ya but i've never joined the arguement

It's great that Canada is so safe, but Canada is not the united states so stop comparing them.

Ditch your Guns and you might enjoy Safty in your lives as well...

When was the last time you didn't lock your doors at night?

reply to post by ed1320

One reason you cant carry guns in Canada is that when you guys find out that your country sold you out for big oil they dont want you killing them. So every late night stroll in the park is safe up there. Sure no guns sure.

What... you don't think most of us know that?

We still wouldn't go around killing people that supposedly run the country, or even sell it out to the highest bidder... We sell our Oil to you guys, only for you to sell it back to us...

Think that makes sense?

reply to post by g146541

Of course you can "own" registered guns.
However, I can own as many as I want with no registration, in any color I wish.
Your average person in Canada cannot own a handgun.
Only the masters, peasants cannot own them there.

Who have you been talking to?

I know several people that own guns, and are total Gun freaks... But they're usually rifles for hunting... not automatic machine guns and shot guns...

Why would I go somewhere only the criminals could carry a gun???
Does that make sense?

As i've said, we try our best to keep "criminals" off the streets... There is no risk of getting shot in Canada... yes of course it does happen, but those are freak occurances...

Why would anyone go some where that anyone could be holding a gun... and might shoot you if you say the wrong thing to them.... like Hello?

How would the Canadians feel about 100 percent disarmament?
Civillian, police and military?

I would be fine with it... guns are useless in my opinion... but i also don't mind if Police and military have guns either...

If you guys are so against them.
If you disarm the citizens, the police will have no need for them.

Back to that Criminal thing.... we do our best, but there are a few of them... thats why police carry guns.

And seriously, what country would be fool enough to attempt to invade the number one US ally?
We would surely destroy any forces that attempted to hurt our Brothers and Sisters to the north, our border brothers

Obviously... but anyone trying to invade wouldn't get far.... all they have to do is try our beer and the "invasion" would be over

I own 9 guns including an ar15 over my door, so what? Who cares? i only carry a 45. Guess im an idiot.

I didn't call you an idiot my friend

but...

IF you were walking down the street, and someone asked you a question... and you pulled a gun on them just for asking a question because you live in fear and paranoia... then i would definatly call you and anyone else in that situation an idiot...

I got stod up on the second date by the way.

That sucks bro.... sorry about that

Dude never said he was goin to shoot the guy.

The question is... why was he worried in the first place?

Thats what happens when you live in fear...

And i work in GARY INDIANA. people get stabbed and shot over 5 dollars around those parts

Well thats just sad.... And people wonder why i won't cross the boarder...

top topics

join