It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Feds Believe Terrorists are Probing Ferries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Officials in Washington State have noticed a pattern of surveillance on the state's ferry system. This has them concerned that terrorists may attack the ferries similarl to an attack on a ferry in the Philippines in February. They have noticed groups of men, and one in particular, repeatedly videotaping and photographing ferryboat operations.

seattletimes.nwsource.com
Groups of men, including one tied to a federal terrorism investigation, have videotaped Washington ferry operations, prompting federal authorities to conclude the system has been under surveillance as a possible target for an attack.

U.S. Attorney John McKay, officials in the U.S. Coast Guard and other members of Seattle"s Joint Terrorism Task Force all share in that conclusion.

"We may well be the target of preoperational terrorist planning," McKay said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Since the implementation of the Marine Transportation Security Act in July, officials believe that security is much better, but not however foolproof. Casualty rates from such an attack could be high as most ferries are not equiped with sufficent rescue equipment for a full ferry. If multiple ferries are attacked at once, rescue personnel would be spread quite thin, leading to even more deaths.

[edit on 11-10-2004 by Banshee]

TCR

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I felt that at least someone should comment
Thanks for the news post. Good article.

This really doesn't come as a suprise to me. I make the assumption that terrorists consider most transportation avenues a possible target. the more people involved, the more "juicy" the target may seem. Landmarks, other areas where large numbers of people congregate etc. My reasoning is that if I can conceive of it, the average terrorist is or has considered it as well.

I'm not making that statement out of some fear based paranoia, just general knowledge and assumption. The risks to the average person is still extremely low with regards to many of these things.

What really suprised me was that some people considered the use of passenger airliners as weapons a huge suprise a few years ago.

join