It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Becks new idea, Selling music without music

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I am loving this idea:

www.forbes.com...

“In the wake of Modern Guilt and The Information, Beck’s latest album comes in an almost-forgotten form—twenty songs existing only as individual pieces of sheet music, never before released or recorded.”

So the idea is people buy the sheet music, perform with there own band and are invited by Beck to share there interpretations.

Radical idea from a visionary artist.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Sounds like an idea to be able to create easy lawsuits.

What if you create the sheet music on your own, but did not purchase it?
Would it be considered piracy or theft.

Haven't heard anything from Beck except from futurama. I

Its either way he will make money. Its just easier to make it in a way as an eye for an eye.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Well it's been a long time coming, but at least someone such as Beck has come out with a real, new, innovative idea. At least it allows for the incentive for musicians to take up their instruments and play music written by a great songwriter and musician.

He is not only getting musicians to actually play an idea of what his song is, they are also being given the opportunity to have their music broadcast within a live show either via video format or maybe even invited to perform live........

The only drawback I see with this idea is that there may not be enough younger people who have heard of Beck and who would buy the album to record a song.....

But the music business absolutely needs some new input into what has become a dour, crap, boring, repetitive and elevator music factory. New ventures and new styles need to put some new b******s into what used to be a place where people actually wrote songs rather than people such as Simon Cowell saturating the so called music charts with utter crappy drivel...................

So glad that I am the age I am and grew up with great music, great bands and brilliant songwriters......

Fancy being young now..................................Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, no thanks...........

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
What a cool idea....always liked Beck....

will have to let some of my musician friends about know this.......♫
edit on 11-8-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Dude's a frickin genius-always stretching boundaries. I've been a fan of his from the beginning for that reason. This seems to be the logical extension of his Record Club recordings where he had various musician friends come into the studio and record cover albums like
Velvet Underground-VU and Nico,
Leonard Cohen-Songs of LC,
INXS-Kick,
Skip Spence-Oar,
and my favorite for the cognitive dissonance alone, Yanni-Live at the Acropolis.

www.beck.com...

He also did a make your own cover for one of his albums a few years back, which hearkens to this idea.

Make your own music. Brilliant. Also kind of reminds me of James Franco's Invisible Art

www.nerve.com...

new topics

top topics

join