It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a camera that takes 1 trillion frames per second

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
awesome~
ripples in the ethers from points of light going past
and through,
away from the view.

~may all souls be free~

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
And DARPA walks in...... now.

Come on - if you can see things without needing a line of sight, who would be the first to step in?

Do you all think we'll see the fruits of this tech? I hope so.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
SnF,

Intresting conspiracy.....open source, coca-cola = 666 and light = lucifer.

edit on 11/8/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
What a magical thing! Hey guys, I'm no Mr. Wizard, but doesn't something like this essentially make -everything- in the visual universe open to intense study now? Speed and ability to capture and observe was the main limiting factor on so much, right?

How exciting! I can't help but think that even telling a person 10 years ago, that we'd sit here and actually SEE light in movement and isolated like that would have gotten us the ultimate tin foil hat to wear as a present or something. In some ways, these are GREAT times to be alive!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I was curious about the mechanisms involved with this camera.

How Does it Work?
This is not really one trillion frames per second. Instead, this is more like a strobe effect. You have seen this, right? You know, you take a strobe light and shin it on a guitar string or something. If you get the frequency of the light just right, it will show images of the string at different positions during it’s oscillation. In the end, you get a video that looks like it is slow motion but it isn’t. Actually, with the strobe light you can see this in real life without even using a camera.

Basically, nanosecond laser pulses are shone on an object. In front of the camera is a narrow slit, so that only a thin slice of the laser light can be seen at one time -- the technical name for this device is a "streak camera." The laser pulses, with very complex timing circuitry, are then picked up by an array of 500 sensors in the camera -- but only one "scan line" at a time (thanks to the narrow slit). Using mirrors, the camera's angle of view is changed over time until each of these one-dimensional slices can be built up into a complete 2D image. This process, which takes about an hour, has led to one of its creators -- Ramesh Raskar -- to dub this trillion-FPS wonder "the world's slowest fastest camera."

Amazing....
I wonder what it would capture if it were launched out into deep space? Maybe streaking neutrinos? A new species of light speed bacteria or other species?
edit on 11-8-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Wow! What a video!

To watch a pulse of light, is one of the most amazing advances I've heard in a long while. What I found incredible was if the camera was watching a bullet go through an apple, it would take a whole year to watch it! Thats the speed of this thing, incredible.

Now, I HATE the double slit experiment, it hurts my head no end. But could this be used to watch what happens as they go through the slit, or would that destroy the effect by watching it.... The ripples suggest it may be possible?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
hmm Choro goggles anyone..

God I hope we dont destroy out planet long enough o experience all this cool new technology.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
is this camra faster than light?
if not its not far from it!

edit on 11-8-2012 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
What a cool camera. Could not see the video, i heard a rumor that it cost $10,000 if it were available to buy.
edit on 8/11/2012 by Brainiac because: wrong conversation

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Everybody's talking about what this camera could capture... How about capturing spirits? lol Ghosts...

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
How do you store a trillion frames per second? Even if you assume a low-res 320x200 image with 256 bit color, that's over 16 million bits that would have to be stored every trillionth of a second. It seems to me like you have to make electrons move faster than photons. Sorcery, I say!

Hopefully, Nintendo buys the computer and makes it the basis for the next generation of video games.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Ye, you're going to need one extremely large SD card for this camera, at over a Gb per image sequence.
Very cool technology and so glad it's open source!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Hate to be that guy but...already posted last year

Real impressive peace of work. Just filming then watching someone wave their hand would take thousands of years.

edit on 12-8-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1BornPatriot
This camera is so fast it can record light in motion.
I dont know what to say - this is just super awesome.
I want one.
Kodak 1TFPS .. but this one is built by the best school on earth,... MIT

\super camera

Imagine being able to use this technology to help athletes improve their knowledge of hitting...on how to recognize the spin on the thrown pitch...on the degree of descent toward the plate.

Or helping a golfer perfect his swing.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I keep getting this to work in my head and then it falls apart again,
If we are filming light as an object/subject, and the camera uses light as it's input wouldn't the input light block the subject light? like, what is the medium for the light data?
I think this topic fried my brain,

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

Referring to your post concerning people seeing those flashes of light in the sky... Wouldnt this be a massive help in discovering the source of the flashes...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Amazing and A-some indeed! Interesting future ahead for sure.

Thanks to the OP.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
AMAZING!!

Watch the little ripples of different colours of light on the table as it washes through the middle of the bottle.

THIS is what I was alluding to when wondering about the lack of imaging technology on Curiosity!

We can now capture light with a camera, yet a mission to Mars GETS TO FLY 3RD CLASS ??

In any case, thanks for sharing!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
There is an inconsistency here, or something that needs explanation.

You can see the pulsed laser traveling at some sort of velocity, however, the glow, that it is emitting around itself, seems to travel instantaneously. Shouldn't that glow (which is also light) have to travel at the same rate?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
I just saw light in slow motion - and it looked like water at some point! I can't believe what I just saw - that was MAJOR.

Thank you, OP!

(Walks away dazed because still in shock).

Must share!

Yea...everything is just waves....

pretty cool right.

good post OP.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join