It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman is fined 5,000 dollars for hosting a 10 year old birthday party......

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Disgusting...

How the hell does government have jurisdiction over private contracts? If they can fine us for selling each other produce, they can fine us for doing anything.

I hope their whole community stands up together to fight this.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I feel like we aren't getting the full story here.

Is the person who decides on the fines in that county a jerk? Is there a history between that person and anyone invovled?

Claiming "oh it's the government" are off in my opinion. It's really just this one county.
edit on 12-8-2012 by wiltondeportes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
As usual there is more to the story...

Martha Boneta, owner of Liberty Farms in the northern village of Paris, was threatened with nearly $5,000 in fines for selling produce and crafts and throwing unlicensed events, including a birthday party for her best friend's child. She told FoxNews.com she wasn't doing anything farmers haven't done for generations, and at a recent zoning board meeting, her agrarian friends literally showed up with pitchforks to express their support.
“It’s rather odd that I’m the only farmer in the county having these issues,” Boneta said. “It’s customary to do these things. It’s done through on farms throughout Virginia to help farming and agriculture.”
Boneta was told that she did not have the proper event permits for the party and other events, including wine tastings, craft workshops, and pumpkin carving.

“Why I would need a permit for a pumpkin carving?” she said.

Boneta was also threatened with fines for selling produce and products not grown or made on the 70-acre farm in a small store she operated on the property. But she said she already had a special license issued to her in 2011 that allowed her to run a “retail farm shop” where at the time, she made it clear that she intended to sell handspun yarns and craft items like birdhouses in addition to fresh vegetables, eggs, and herbs.

Pitchfork-wielding Virginia farmers rally against birthday party fine

Crafts? Pumpkin carvng? Holding a party for your friend's Child? Ummmm.....normal life in many households and our god given infinite inalieable rights.

I mean that list could say this and sound as crazy: waking up and having coffee, going out on the balcony and breathing fresh air, sewing a zipper in your sons coat, and sewing curtains for your mother. heaven forbid if you should have an anniversary party planned, eh?
edit on 11-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

I could not say anything better. The things they talked about in the OP happen all over the place here in the foothills of Ky. People sell produce, eggs, etc. The Amish sell about everything and you can even take animals to be processed in any manner you might wish. I'd hate to think about it stopping. I have not bought an egg in the store in years. I bet they'd taste funny

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by acidsweep
*SHOCKED* What the heck is going on??? Just... so wrong!!! I'm almost speechless!

Me too. Maybe it's time to start chopping off some political heads. This s&^% won't stop until our representatives start fearing us.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Doalrite

I can't believe that the government would be allowed to fine someone for having a birthday party. Seriously, who elects these a**holes to office?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
That county's administration is a gaggle of fools. How strange that they are unaware of how stupid they look. Get a fool into a position of power and this sort of thing is what they do. Drunk on power. Drunk on the ability to dictate the minutiae of their neighbors' lives. They lose all sensibility and have no concept of the limits of their power or the nature of their duty to the public, They serve only their small minded wish to impose their will on others.
edit on 8/12/2012 by dubiousone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Can someone tell me what if anything if left of the contusion and the bill of rights?
Now IS the time to take up arms against a dictatorship.
You don’t have much time left.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
We as Americans have allowed them to do this to us, by all the years of thinking they are doing whats right and for the good of the country.
The elected people doing this IMO need to be recalled and voted out off office....
They can't keep illegals out of the USA, they can't catch the criminals that are out on the street robbing, raping , and stealing cars..but they can do this to a woman that is selling produce on her own property...
We use to be a great nation, but not so much anymore...and with the people in charge...we are declining at an alarming rate...I am scared to think of what it will be like for the childred once they are grown....

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

This type of tactic sadly is not new off the top of my head I can remember reading a story about city officials utilizing google earth to see who has a swimming pool then narrowing it down to an adress and checking to the see if said person had a permit for a swimming pool its disgusting but unfortuantely with budgets and spending out of control we will see the same and probably worse in the future.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I used to envy you guys for living in America...

Now i pity you

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paradox1121

I hear they are trying to make it illegal now to have yard sales which are really big around here. Unless you have a permit and oh yeah you wont be able to accept cash because "THEY" cant track it for taxes.

its been like that where I live for atleast 15 years.

you can beat them,instead of putting a price on an item ,list all as donations.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

thanx for the info! i think i came across this info on an alex jones site,so you can take it from there!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I feel they are really trying to provoke a reaction from people so they can use heavy handed tactics on us.

There is no other logical conclusion to being this tyrannical with people. They want us to go ape and start a revolt.

edit on 12-8-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
There is a logical explanation for all of this actually.

The explanation is this:
99% of all American's can answer when asked who the president is, If asked who their county commissioner(s) is(are) or even what their township trustee(s) are responsible for, the number of correct answers would likely be closer to 5%.

The issue is indifference. Everyone shot in this video could have done something about these laws before they were laws. But instead they were more interested American Idol and a made-up national debt number that nobody would ever dare try to collect on.

If you don't like the policy, get involved. Make people aware. Vote out the people responsible for what you deem wrong or unfair, don't just walk into a booth and vote a straight ticket or vote for people randomly. Work to overturn it. Or if you get involved now instead of later you can stop this from happening before a single unfair judgement is handed down.

What made the politicians make these laws? That's a good question. And honestly their motivations may have been insidious. But no one was there to stop them. Nobody got involved.

To take it a little out in left field in the new Batman movie the villain Bane delivered a speech to the people of Gotham. He basically said it was their fault for their inaction and allowing their city to become what it was. And as much as I hate to say a fictional character was right, in this case, it's true. No one did anything to stop it. Are the politicians wrong? Sure. Are they villains? Bane-like. Are they bullies? Yes. You know how you stop a bully? Punch him in the mouth.

‎"I was totally ignorant that I was doing anything wrong" - That sums up the entire issue. Ignorant is the perfect word.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

northern village of Paris

I have never heard that here in the us.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
An "administrative license" for a child's Birthday Party?!

What the heck? All family reunions, Christmas, New Years, 4th of July family gatherings, family birthday parties (for any age), hen parties, bachelor parties, graduation parties, WEDDINGS and receptions, even going away parties - they need a license?

What part of the story am I missing? This doesn't even make SENSE.

(Yes, I skipped the farm produce bit and focused on the party - personal reasons.)

Never mind, I found the story and read it. It's still a silly mess and ridiculous as heck. Gee, and Va. seemed to be so forward thinking ... now, their reputation should be set back a half a century.
edit on 12/8/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

So you whinge about the carbon tax.why don't i hear you whinging about the GST?

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
Ok, I'm going to be the devil's advocate here .... if this woman was charging money to hold events, then this is considered a business, and all business require licenses. You can be against licenses in general for all businesses, but don't claim that this farmer is special and doesn't have to have licenses for her business. There are many different kinds of licenses, and some businesses have to have multiple licenses. For example, a restaurant may have to have a license to sell their food, and a separate license to sell alcohol.

I agree that licensing has gotten a little out of control, but there WAS a good reason for them initially. Originally, a license was a way to monitor the practices of a business and make sure they were operating in a way that wasn't going to hurt or take advantage of consumers/customers. It wasn't just about paying money for a license, it was also having to show you were following proper protocol before being able to get the license.

I don't believe that, I think licenses are and have always been to get money.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by kaylaluv
Ok, I'm going to be the devil's advocate here .... if this woman was charging money to hold events, then this is considered a business, and all business require licenses. You can be against licenses in general for all businesses, but don't claim that this farmer is special and doesn't have to have licenses for her business. There are many different kinds of licenses, and some businesses have to have multiple licenses. For example, a restaurant may have to have a license to sell their food, and a separate license to sell alcohol.

I agree that licensing has gotten a little out of control, but there WAS a good reason for them initially. Originally, a license was a way to monitor the practices of a business and make sure they were operating in a way that wasn't going to hurt or take advantage of consumers/customers. It wasn't just about paying money for a license, it was also having to show you were following proper protocol before being able to get the license.

I don't believe that, I think licenses are and have always been to get money.

Agreed all licensing is about money and always has been! They have never prevented people from ripping off customers. It all about extorting money from the people. You can't make a living without paying the local mafia/government their protection money! A permit for a birthday party simply illustrates in the extreme how out of control government is...

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by hawkiye

Most often the local gentry control the police, their families are the local judge and DA.

Anyone who stands up to them is squashed, just like the story that begins this thread.

This isn't the fed doing this, it is the county.

Wake up and realize the whole states right agenda is a scam. The fed goes after the big fish, which keeps them off our backs.

You are delusional! The local government is corrupt so your solution is to do away with local control and ask the feds to control them who are even more corrupt? It's easier to root out local corruption then federal. States rights really equates to the right of the people its not a sham it is how this country was built and the reason we are where we are is because we have ceded the peoples rights to federal control! The crapola you are regurgitating has just gotten ridiculous... Sigh!

edit on 12-8-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join