It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman is fined 5,000 dollars for hosting a 10 year old birthday party......

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+54 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This happened in the county I grew up in and live next too.

So we are an agriculture county and completely full of farms. Most of these farms have handmade stands in their own yard where they put their vegetables and if you wanna stop by and buy fresh veggies or eggs you can. I love the fact that we USE to be able to do this. Until a couple of years ago where the Government made it ILLEGAL unless those people selling got permits. Well this lady had to jump through hoops but she was able to get her permit however it was the wrong one.

So get this, the county was investagating her and found on her facebook page a picture of a birthday party she had for her 10 year old!!!!!! They are fining her 5 thousand DOLLARS!!! For not having a permit for her birthday party...

I feel this fits right in with the narrative on so many levels... you cannot sell what you grow without permission, you cannot have people over at your house without permission, people cannot watch the cable you buy without permission.

Digusting.

more info
edit on 10-8-2012 by Doalrite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
$5000 - you know why, don't you? Because they know the average American cannot afford a fine that heavy. There's only one solution here, and that's refusal to pay. What else could/would she do?

Smells like a scare tactic as well. They're hoping people would comply out of fear.
edit on 10-8-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
*SHOCKED* What the heck is going on??? Just... so wrong!!! I'm almost speechless!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by acidsweep

This is the inevitible outcome of a country that keeps growing the budget while cutting taxes.
edit on 10-8-2012 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I'm F & S this because it has to stay toward the top of the posts so others can see. I have yet to watch the vid as I'm finishing up a beautiful theme song on the 'tube that's calming my soul.

Once I watch it, I'll post more.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Tax on top of tax on top of tax. That's pretty much what a fine is as well. I should be totally shocked...sadly I am not. This seems to be the in thing these days. Well, that and shutting down children's lemonade stands. Business must be slow. Or it could be that they don't know how to budget worth a damn, spend more, then pass that little cost on to the citizens like an extra Christmas gift.
I'm tempted to yell "Stop the madness" but alas...there is a nifty fine for that as well if screamed after dark within city limits.

edit on 8/10/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
S+F for this for bringing it to our attention.Crap like this is becoming all too common and you cannot do ANYTHING anymore without someone wanting to charge a fee,tax it,restrict it or outlaw it.A birthday party for a 10 year old!! C'MON!!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Yes but remember apparently if your going to have family over on christmas.. you 'll need a permit.

I know that stuff like this happens, its just really hard to see it happen in the country town that I grew up in.. I mean we had a little country store called "The Store"...

I hear they are trying to make it illegal now to have yard sales which are really big around here. Unless you have a permit and oh yeah you wont be able to accept cash because "THEY" cant track it for taxes.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamOver
*snip*

I wish it was that easy. And it's hard to tell these days if it will hold up in court or not. Most folks that have the money probably don't bother fighting it and just pay. I think they like that a lot when it happens. I hope this does go to court and embarrasses the hell out of the ticket givers on a national stage.

Mod Edit: removed quote of actioned post.
edit on 10-8-2012 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well, that IS the joy of small towns and counties and why voting DOES matter. See what the little tyrants a few miles away can do? I wonder if any of them in her town get re-elected. Personally, I think they ought to see about getting as close to everyone as they can manage and anyone up in 2012....out ya go. And the next election and the next one. It won't take but a few before NO ONE who held office today at any level remains.

This crap has to stop. This isn't America anymore. It's Amerika. I want my C back!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
As usual there is more to the story...

Martha Boneta, owner of Liberty Farms in the northern village of Paris, was threatened with nearly $5,000 in fines for selling produce and crafts and throwing unlicensed events, including a birthday party for her best friend's child. She told FoxNews.com she wasn't doing anything farmers haven't done for generations, and at a recent zoning board meeting, her agrarian friends literally showed up with pitchforks to express their support.
“It’s rather odd that I’m the only farmer in the county having these issues,” Boneta said. “It’s customary to do these things. It’s done through on farms throughout Virginia to help farming and agriculture.”
Boneta was told that she did not have the proper event permits for the party and other events, including wine tastings, craft workshops, and pumpkin carving.

“Why I would need a permit for a pumpkin carving?” she said.

Boneta was also threatened with fines for selling produce and products not grown or made on the 70-acre farm in a small store she operated on the property. But she said she already had a special license issued to her in 2011 that allowed her to run a “retail farm shop” where at the time, she made it clear that she intended to sell handspun yarns and craft items like birdhouses in addition to fresh vegetables, eggs, and herbs.

Pitchfork-wielding Virginia farmers rally against birthday party fine

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Yes but remember apparently if your going to have family over on christmas.. you 'll need a permit.

I know that stuff like this happens, its just really hard to see it happen in the country town that I grew up in.. I mean we had a little country store called "The Store"...

I hear they are trying to make it illegal now to have yard sales which are really big around here. Unless you have a permit and oh yeah you wont be able to accept cash because "THEY" cant track it for taxes.

I hear ya. I live right next to where I grew up and it is a tiny piece of a town as well. Sometimes I think that insulates me from really understanding these things until they hit closer to home...which they are currently doing (like yours) The yard sale thing has been discussed here many times as well. It's a shame really. Greed, intrusion, and control is all I see going on here and it is pathetic.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Isn't it time you guys told the Goverment to get the F*** out of your lives. ? Surely this would be laughed out of court if she refused to pay. On the grounds of it being downright ridiculous.

actually the way things work here is they will put a lean on her farm, with any interest rate they want and could possibly take her farm from her.

You cannot refuse to pay, even if you are contesting it. Most the time to actually contest the charge you have to pay the fine first then go back to court with your lawyers.

Growing up in warrenton, which is a town in fauquier county where the court house is I've had the pleasure to have to deal with the judges. They are corrupt and cruel. One of my best friends died in county jail when he was only 18. Cops here are known to beat people, my little brother at the age of 9 had a cop get in his face screaming and yelling telling my brother he could kill him with his bare hands.

People wonder why we do not like authority figures... it is because of these things.

Yes we could make a change if everyone... EVERYONE.. would stand together... but those in power will fight back. Unfortunately the majority of people are scared and/or lazy

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Unless there is a lot more to this than the permit issues described there between her Farm Shop or peddling produce out front, then I'd say the County either needs active and complaining victims or we're looking at several permits beyond reasonable for most of what we're even talking about. Since when should she need a permit for everything under the sun?

I was against the guy in Phoenix because it turned a quiet bedroom community in the center of 80 people to his Church twice a week. Bad Bad neighbor and doom on him. In this case though, I do see it as entirely different UNLESS a neighbor or multiple neighbors pop up to say she's a problem to their way of thinking about their rights.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

reply to post by Doalrite

its been like that where I live for atleast 15 years.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I am no longer shocked at anything the US citizens are having done to them. From what I've seen over the last year it should have made people take to the streets and storm the Capitol a long time ago.

But no. New Ipads/pods/phones came out and American Idol had another season.

So whatever happens from here on in is the fault of the citizen IMO...for allowing it to happen.

Many of us here on ATS from other Nations have even posted vids, stories, atrocities and injustices that are happening to the Americans in the hopes to share and wake people the hell up and still...nothing.

People from all over the World are watching, waiting and wondering why nothing is happening. I don't think we can help anymore and should just leave it to the US citizen to stand or fall on their own.

I know exactly what I'd do in this situation and it sure as hell wouldn't be to grab a cold one and turn on the tube.

Peace

edit on 10-8-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
And this is where the people take back their town, fire their commisioners, elect new people, get the law off the books that enabled the fine in the first place, or change/re-define the law in the next election.

Just out of curiosity, who voted for the law in the first place?
edit on 10-8-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

Isn't it time you guys told the Goverment to get the F*** out of your lives. ? Surely this would be laughed out of court if she refused to pay. On the grounds of it being downright ridiculous.

I wish it was that easy. And it's hard to tell these days if it will hold up in court or not. Most folks that have the money probably don't bother fighting it and just pay. I think they like that a lot when it happens. I hope this does go to court and embarrasses the hell out of the ticket givers on a national stage.

Honestly, would anyone in their right mind pay this fine even if they had the money? This is the worst kind of extortion I've heard of! It's just WRONG, WRONG WRONG! What message do we send when we give into this drivel?

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by elrem48

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

Honestly, would anyone in their right mind pay this fine even if they had the money? This is the worst kind of extortion I've heard of! It's just WRONG, WRONG WRONG! What message do we send when we give into this drivel?

You don't have an option not to pay where I am from.You don't pay a fine here you could wind up in county jail, garnished wages, personal property confiscations, or liens placed against your home. I am not sure what the law is in this woman's area though. I assume it is similar or most folks would not pay any fines at all.

It is wrong. But in my best German accent "They have ways of making you pay". As lighthearted as I type that it is a hard truth for many. Those who really can't afford to pay...wind up having to pay so much more in the end for not paying it on time. It's a lose/lose for the regular folks.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join