It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Barter system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
It works when all falls through with no faults...I have been experimenting with positive results.en.wikipedia.org...
A crew and I have been swapping goods for a couple a months now...for ex,fresh dairy and bread for pork and corn...or help sink some fence posts for a rummage through the garden.Then I met buddy who's a butcher and introduced him to buddy with a garden and so the story goes...remember that old commercial?...and they had two friends,and then they had two friends....any ways,Bartering works,and I can tell you for sure,that if there is nothing to barter with,then TRUST will be the last resort....take it as you will

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I feel you, Ive used barter successfully myself before too, but i still gota say there's a reason why people have used currency for (probably) all of modern history.

What you can stock for survival situations is just high valuable commodities like bullets, oil and tobacco that can be broken into small parts and traded easily as opposed to something like a rifle, which is harder to trade a whole for.

I've played barter games and it gets hard to barter after awhile.

Classic example, You walk one farm over with your 50 lbs. of bacon to trade for 5 barrels of corn.. The neighbor just bartered with someone and already has bacon but he's missing out on alcohol, which you heard is five farms over. you travel through the forest lugging 50 lbs of bacon and everythiing else you travel with to find the alcohol holder is vegetarian but needs some oil which you heard something about 5 farms over in the opposite direction... etc. etc.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The barter system does not really work beyond occasionally trading. It gets impractical to lug around that which you wish to trade after a while.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Classic example, You walk one farm over with your 50 lbs. of bacon to trade for 5 barrels of corn.. The neighbor just bartered with someone and already has bacon but he's missing out on alcohol, which you heard is five farms over. you travel through the forest lugging 50 lbs of bacon and everythiing else you travel with to find the alcohol holder is vegetarian but needs some oil which you heard something about 5 farms over in the opposite direction... etc. etc.
reply to post by Nephlim

...Who said who walks...every one is in unison...nice example

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SarnholeOntarable
It works when all falls through with no faults...I have been experimenting with positive results.en.wikipedia.org...
A crew and I have been swapping goods for a couple a months now...for ex,fresh dairy and bread for pork and corn...or help sink some fence posts for a rummage through the garden.Then I met buddy who's a butcher and introduced him to buddy with a garden and so the story goes...remember that old commercial?...and they had two friends,and then they had two friends....any ways,Bartering works,and I can tell you for sure,that if there is nothing to barter with,then TRUST will be the last resort....take it as you will

I have a cousin that back in the 90's was using a type of Barter system here in Los Angeles County. He is a computer tech and he would do jobs for certain companies and they would in return pay him with a book of checks that you could use at certain companies that was using that same barter system.

I think the barter system is great. Each one of us specializes in something that someone else has no knowledge of and vice versas

However, in a survival situation....I'm not so sure of. I guess it would depend on how bad things really are

edit on 8/10/12 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

link   
Barter system is great it's why it worked for so many thousands of years. For instance tomorrow I'm hanging a door in return I get an air conditioner.

I keep all sorts of crap around for barter. Knives, silver coins, bullets, tools, booze and tobacco products etc.
edit on 10-8-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

link   
It has worked for me for years now.
A little electrical work for friend or family,I get beer.

But when SHTF,I have other options .

If you have what other people need,and you are at a point that trading those goods and services off for other goods and services,you will be ok.
Just don't stock up on silver,stock up on seeds.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

On a small time basis it does.But on a national appeasing,it would take some practice.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
It has worked for me for years now.
A little electrical work for friend or family,I get beer.

But when SHTF,I have other options .

If you have what other people need,and you are at a point that trading those goods and services off for other goods and services,you will be ok.
Just don't stock up on silver,stock up on seeds.

I couldn't agree with you more on stocking up on seeds. Just make sure they're not the Genetically Modified seeds. I personally, have thousands of seeds and can grow anything that comes from the Earth

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Stock up on bullets, you can barter you not shooting someone for nearly anything.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Well of course,hence the practice...You have to know who is solid around you when collapse comes.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

I couldn't agree with you more on stocking up on seeds. Just make sure they're not the Genetically Modified seeds. I personally, have thousands of seeds and can grow anything that comes from the Earth

Yeah,cause when the power goes out,who needs an electrician or computer tech,right?

But I can turn a bicycle into a 12 volt generator ,hook up an inverter to power maybe a fridge or radio.
That would cost at least a few pounds of beans or rice.

edit on 10-8-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I here you about situations in the future...who knows,could be tense.tc*

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I have lots of seeds but I don't know if that's gonna save us. My garden this year completely tanked. Right now I have a gorgeous healthy and robust cucmber plant, but NO fruit. sadly, I think the bees disappearing might be the cause- I've seen ONE bee in my garden this year..

I love the bartering concept though, hopefully we can all help each other when the time comes.
edit on 11-8-2012 by Starcrossd because: fix broken quote

new topics

top topics

join