It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you believe in God?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbaskins
I am glad that I am not the only one who sits around pondering on this issue. I ride public transportation which leaves me with alot of time on my hands to observe and wonder. I think that using the force as an example is a good possible explanation of the god like intelligence that exists among us. My mother never attended church, although she sent me on occasion possibly for social interaction. I love my religious freedom, and would not change it for anything. As someone mentioned about conciousness existing after the body, I believe that some books by Dr. Bruce Goldburg can explain the possibilities of this. I know that some of his theories are out of wack, but the base theory of how it works is almost right on. It was so wierd, but after I denounced Christianity as my religion when I was 25, I was walking around in a 3 story Border's bookstore. What I found is amazing. I just reached in a random shelf and pulled out a book on spirit guides by Bruce Goldburg. I am legally blind and usually have to just use intuition to pull out something interesting, and this book matched exactly what I believed. I almost fell out of my chair after every page I read. It is amazing, and I would recommend it to anyone seeking logical explanations on why the intelligence expanded itself into prehistoric man and throughout the universe. I have it buried away and can't remember the exact title, but I can dig it up if anyone wants to know. I am telling you that if you feel like me and the OP, you will feel right at home with the theories present in this text. SF OP for assuring me that I am not alone.

You know what, i believe you with this, and I think it all comes down to the point that everyone is right - no one is wrong, and we're all at different levels of understanding, and neither is the wrong way...

I felt this experience when I read the Talmud of Jmmanuel....

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I've had enough of this agnostic bs. Atheists without balls if you ask me. The more we try to comprehend the concept of a God and how he functions the less we will ever get to know "him."

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by U4ea82
I've reached a point in my life where I've begun to question things, specifically, God and the nature of faith. I believe in a creator, though I'm not really sure who he (or she) is. I have a hard time looking at the world around me and attributing it's beauty to a mere cosmic accident. However, I don't feel like I have any personal experience with God, no grand epiphany that made me KNOW that he existed. I've just always felt it in my heart.

Which leads me to my question : Why do you believe in God? Do you believe in God in the traditional sense, or do you have a differing vision of him or her?

Now please remember, I'm asking those who DO believe in God. If you don't believe, that's a perfectly valid opinion to which you are certainly entitled but, please, don't derail the thread trying to convince those who do believe that there is no God. Please be respectful of others and their faith.

I missed this before, OP. If you are still around, and want to talk about this, I am willing to cover it with you. In Fact I would love to do so.
edit on 12-8-2012 by CalebRight14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I've reached a point in my life where I've begun to question things, specifically, God and the nature of faith. I believe in a creator, though I'm not really sure who he (or she) is. I have a hard time looking at the world around me and attributing it's beauty to a mere cosmic accident. However, I don't feel like I have any personal experience with God, no grand epiphany that made me KNOW that he existed. I've just always felt it in my heart.

Which leads me to my question : Why do you believe in God? Do you believe in God in the traditional sense, or do you have a differing vision of him or her?

Now please remember, I'm asking those who DO believe in God. If you don't believe, that's a perfectly valid opinion to which you are certainly entitled but, please, don't derail the thread trying to convince those who do believe that there is no God. Please be respectful of others and their faith.

Well your avatar of Kerli reminds of her song "zero Gravity". She says that's about God. Maybe god is inside of all of us and not "out there" in some mystical place.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Why do I believe in God? Because I have had countless experiences that left no question in my mind that God is real. Over the course of my life I have had big and small things happen to me that were absolutely inexplicable. Divine providence, synchronicity, blessings, and even life-saving events. I not only believe God is real but I see and feel God working in my life. So it'd be hard for me to deny His existence.

Do I believe in God in the traditional sense? I suppose so. Due to my personal religious/spiritual history, I came to know the Judeo-Christian God. That is still the God I believe in. But after many years of study, prayer, soul searching, etc. I have also come to understand that God is so much more than the stereotypical image of a man on a cloud with a white beard, tallying up my every sin. I know that He is a God of love because He sent his Son to be the ransom sacrifice for my sins so we can be reconciled. I can approach God, and yet I can never (in this lifetime, at least) truly know Him. My tiny mortal mind is not capable of fully comprehending all that He is, or how He works. That is a mystery I am comfortable not having answers to in this life, because I know I will in the next.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by schweizer

I have also come to understand that God is so much more than the stereotypical image of a man on a cloud with a white beard, tallying up my every sin.

How so?
I don't see anything in your post that contradicts that.
In fact, you go on to reinforce that stereotype.
Such as: sins counted up that Jesus had to "pay" for.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

I have also come to understand that God is so much more than the stereotypical image of a man on a cloud with a white beard, tallying up my every sin.

How so?

Sounds kind of like a running tab. One sin was enough for Jesus to sacrifice for, even if the rest of the world never sinned again, that one sin would be enough. I am amazed that sometimes people still think of God as an old man on a cloud holding lightning bolts ready to strike us all dead. That image comes from paganism mythology.

If that were the case, most everyone on ATS would be struck dead by now. I mean really, some of the posts made by people are so blasphemous that someone 100 years ago would be shocked reading them.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Contact/do a search for "search ministries". They will answer you questions in a non-judgemental way. They will not shove anything down your throat. And you can ask them ANYTHING about God. You can explore any any every doubt. They are a first class organization that treats people with respect.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

How so?

Perhaps I did not choose my words carefully enough. I do not see God as an angry parent counting up every slight offense I commit, ready to condemn me because I exercised my free will in a less-than-graceful way.

The OP asked if we believe in God so I answered the question according to my beliefs. I was not trying to summarize/argue/represent mainstream Christianity.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Great question!

When I go to the grocery store and I go into the produce section and a look at pineapples, it seems so majestic and royal with it's crowned top. Just incredible to me when ever I see it.

I also believe there is a light that is within everybody that exists through people that is like a battery. When we sleep we get recharged etc. It is that energy-light (incredibly bright-inner light).
I think the main source of that light is a master source that gives people existence. I think all humans sponge off this light source. I think some are more in-tune with it than others such as Jesus etc.

I also think that because of medical reasons many human brains are not able to tap into it's resources as well as others. I have a feeling that there is a pin hole size receptacle that this light is filtered through in our brains. But if that source is opened up too wide (though microscopic) people can loose memory etc. It could be through taking sleeping pills as a kid and thinking it was candy etc.

I think there is reasons for people achieving great accomplishments in this lifetime do to this tiny ever so tiny receptacle that picks up this (God) light source. But do to the birth process most people do not have this fully developed receptacle that is 100% fully functional. This is not medically tested but do to how scientists and the medical field are not interested on things dealing with other realms (on the whole) they are putting one hand behind there back etc. Such as the transition of looking on the other side of the veil when just waking up etc.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Prestatement confession... I did not read replies ( I'm juggling more than one thing right now but felt compelled to answer the OP )...

I believe in God simply because it makes me comfortable to do so. I have a rational mind and can argue against the existence of a all powerful creator with the best of 'em. But in the long run, belief seems to have the best effect upon how I tend to live this life. I don't fear Hellfire and damnation. mind you. My belief isn't based in fear. I just find it very helpful to think that there's something greater than I am out there in the Universe and that it is aware of me on some level.

Thinking there is a greater plan is more emotionally appealing than to think that its' all just a series of cosmic and genetic accidents.

Also, not always, but every once in awhile, especially in very dark and desperate times, I have prayed and it seems to me that good things came of those prayers - much of the time. Coincidence? Maybe. Random chance? Maybe. It's just helps to alleviate my stress to believe.

And to provide an answer in general. I think a lot of people choose to believe because the idea of total death - IE non-existence, is a very difficult thing to confront.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I believe in God, or a master designer of the universe because their is such beauty, even if one only thinks of humanities existence. Music, art, the fragility and preciousness of new life, mathematics, science. I don't truly believe in the concept of Evolution alone that turned us from single celled creatures to our modern form. We have such a thirst for knowledge, wouldn't it be a travesty if their was no answer? All the great minds of humanity searching their entire lives, and it would all be for nothing? I don't think so...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Yes I believe in "God" and specifically for this earth, three personages in the Godhead;
(1) God the Eternal Father,
(2) His Son Jesus Christ, and (3) the Holy Ghost.

These constitute the Holy Trinity, comprising three physically separate and distinct individuals, who are one in purpose and together constitute the presiding council of the heavens for this earth.
www.lds.org...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Explanation: St*rred!

I disagree on one point however ... because if we would just ADMIT to the following ...

... That since we have a memory, ...

... we can juxtapose and contrast those memories ...

... with a time line that preceeds our own timeline,...

... which then automaticaly invokes thinking and feeling ...

... about what time and existence, without us up until then, WAS like,...

... and we therefor KNOW what that 'non existing sense of self ' experience is ALREADY LIKE.

Just like waking up ... going to sleep,... is not painfull at all!

Personal Disclosure: @everybody ok ...

Any observer who has been knocked fully unconscious, or who went to sleep and can't remember their dreams, already has a gap in the timeline of their memeory and that gap itself isn't painful!

Although reflecting upon that gap may itself be painful because of holding onto false standards that are impossible to achieve. [aka the false need for perfection when one is immersed in reality and one is therefor not the whole of reality etc.]

Please don't confuse the non-painful gap with the possibly painful reflection and then assume that the possibly painful reflection is going to be the experience suffered during the next gap!

Now stop lying to yourselves ok ... and KNOW that you are within God and therefor at that level you ARE god!

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Janadele

My belief is a sure knowledge, which is a part of me and has always been so.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
To answer your question more thoroughly, God has answered my prayers, He brought me back to life, He caused me to speak in another language, He has given me warnings, He has had a tremendous amount of mercy on me. I believe that God's laws are not supposed to be broken, I believe that it's important for believers to truly honor the Sabbath, and I believe that The Spirit of Truth guides into ALL truth. I believe that hell is a very real and very terrible place to end up. I truly believe that research is essential to test every spirit, I believe that love is conditional, I believe that it is God who decides when I die and where I go afterwards.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Sounds like fanaticism to me, what type of agenda do you have? Sounds like the types of statements made that drove me away from organized religion.

Originally posted by LiberLegit
I've had enough of this agnostic bs. Atheists without balls if you ask me. The more we try to comprehend the concept of a God and how he functions the less we will ever get to know "him."

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbaskins
Sounds like fanaticism to me, what type of agenda do you have? Sounds like the types of statements made that drove me away from organized religion.

Originally posted by LiberLegit

You are right. NWO agenda right there. The bible does talk about knowing God, most "Christians" just don't care to do so, and therefore illogical statements are made about him, much like the way that Job's "friends" were trying to "help" him.

Job 42:7 After the LORD had finished speaking to Job, he said to Eliphaz the Temanite: "I am angry with you and your two friends, for you have not spoken accurately about me, as my servant Job has.

"The more we try to comprehend the concept of a God and how he functions the less we will ever get to know 'him'.'"
This is a LIE. Just look at my signature.
If anyone wants ow could Job have spoken accurately about God if he did not havethe truth they' go looking for it instead of believing this new age cult, which is indeed in bed with organized religion, again, don't take my word for it, if the issue of knowing God matters to people, they'll seek it like a lost valuable coin, and when they find it, they'll want someone to celebrate with, they'll want to talk about God with others, rather than discouraging others from trying to comprehend the concept of the God of the bible.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Why Do You Believe In God?

I believe in a superior being of some kind because there is too much order in how everything is made for it all to be just a coincidence.

I can't believe that mammals are a product of the evolution of sea slime. That's just ridiculous.

Intelligence was involved here and it wasn't our own.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by U4ea82

I believe in the possibility (though highly improbable), of a creator. Not a god, but a creator none the less. If we ever become capable of creating life from scratch, then who's to say that some being in another dimension couldn't have created this universe from scratch?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join