It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The PATRIOT Act Does Target American Civilians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
For those here who do not believe the Patriot Act does not target innocent American civilians, here are a list of news sites that prove this claim to be true.

FBI says Patriot Act used in Vegas strip club corruption probe
www.lasvegassun.com...
The FBI used the USA Patriot Act to obtain financial information about key figures in a political corruption probe centered on striptease club owner Michael Galardi, an agent said.

Webmaster Sherman Austin, jailed under PATRIOT Act, released to halfway house
news.phaseiii.org...
Political prisoner Sherman Austin, who made headlines last year after being targeted as one of the first casualties of the infamous USA PATRIOT Act, was released from the Federal Corrections Institute in Tucson and left Arizona July 12 to return to Los Angeles.

Anti-terror laws increasingly used against common criminals
www.sfgate.com.../news/archive/2003/09/14/national1259EDT0480.DTL
In the two years since law enforcement agencies gained fresh powers to help them track down and punish terrorists, police and prosecutors have increasingly turned the force of the new laws not on al-Qaida cells but on people charged with common crimes.

Patriot Act available against many types of criminals
www.centredaily.com...
Virtually unmentioned, however, is the fact that the Patriot Act extended the government's powers well beyond the terrorism arena.

Patriot Act of 2001 casts wide net
www.washtimes.com...
Overall, the policy now allows evidence to be used for prosecuting common criminals even when obtained under extraordinary anti-terrorism powers and information-sharing between intelligence agencies and the FBI.

Patriot Act's reach has gone beyond terrorism
www.seattleactivist.org...
The Bush administration, which calls the USA Patriot Act perhaps its most essential tool in fighting terrorists, has begun using the law with increasing frequency in many criminal investigations that have little or no connection to terrorism.

Using The Patriot Act To Target Patriots
www.americandaily.com...
The Patriot Act has been used to obtain search warrants against doctors and scientists who had been warning about the threat of bioterrorism in the U.S

Shopkeeper deported from South Carolina under PATRIOT Act killed in Pakistan
www.unknownnews.net...
After marrying a naturalized U.S. citizen, having two U.S.-born children and running a Rock Hill convenience store for years, Khan was rounded up in post-Sept. 11, 2001, sweeps that targeted Muslim immigrants.

Art becomes the next suspect in America's 9/11 paranoia
www.guardian.co.uk...
On May 10 Steven Kurtz went to bed a married art professor. On May 11 he woke up a widower. By the afternoon he was under federal investigation for bioterrorism.

ARTISTS SUBPOENAED IN USA PATRIOT ACT CASE
www.gnutellanews.com...
Three Four artists have been served subpoenas to appear before a federal grand jury that will consider bioterrorism charges against a university professor whose art involves the use of simple biology equipment.

Patriot Act used to prosecute U.S. civilian
www.cleveland.com.../base/news/108764617832800.xml
The CIA contract employee accused of abusing a prisoner in Afghanistan is being prosecuted under the Patriot Act in what legal experts are calling a surprising and to some, troubling application of the new anti-terrorism law.

British Journalist Detained, Harrassed On Trip To LA
www.guardian.co.uk...
When writer Elena Lappin flew to LA, she dreamed of a sunkissed, laid-back city. But that was before airport officials decided to detain her as a threat to security.

So for those who want to defend the Patriot Act, these articles clearly seem to indicate the Patriot Act targets American citizens as well.

[edit on 12-10-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Interesting that the tools they 'so desperately needed' for terrorism have resulted in very few terrorism arrests. Mostly it is being used for anything but terrorism. Maybe our law enforcement agencies are just inept no matter what tools they have.
I think a few provisions of the Patriot Act can be retained. Most of it should be thrown in the trash can.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Perhaps that is why some states like California has make parts of the patriot act illegal in their states.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   
And this is news how again?? I have known about this for the last few months. It is clearly known that the PA isnt geared towards fighting terorism, but to rape the US citizens of thier rights that our forfathers set for us. We have not dont anything to combat these kinda plans so therefor we get what we deserve. Altho I do believe if they continue to take and take, the american people who retaliate in one way or another..

considering PA 2 will have a death penalty for protesting and other odds and ends..

Anyway If you think this PA and PA 2 will keep you safe, You are wrong...

If you give up you liberties for safety, you will have neither liberty or safety.

sad but tue.. sorry to say..

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   
A death penalty for protesting? You are joking right? Do you have a source to prove that? I'm not trying to jump on you. Because of this is try my congressman is going to get a NASTY letter from me (if he doesn't already have me filtered lol)

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
A death penalty for protesting? You are joking right? Do you have a source to prove that? I'm not trying to jump on you. Because of this is try my congressman is going to get a NASTY letter from me (if he doesn't already have me filtered lol)

I dont say anything that I cant back up.. please remember that..

Patriot Act II would create 15 new death penalties, one of which could be applied to acts of protest. Under the Hastert measure�s definitions, anti-war protesters could be deemed terrorists. In fact, any dissident could be spied on, harassed, and imprisoned indefinitely for exercising their legal and constitutionally protected rights.

This legislation would give the government the same power that Stalin and Julius Caesar gave themselves, said one detractor.

www.americanfreepress.net...

[edit on 12-10-2004 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Ok it says it COULD. But there is no specific provision that gives the death penalty for protesting. But of course our government will exploit every possible loophole to its advantage.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Ok it says it COULD. But there is no specific provision that gives the death penalty for protesting. But of course our government will exploit every possible loophole to its advantage.

Just like it Could be a good idea to have a national ID card, or it COULD be c good idea to take an Implant.. Or it COULD be a better idea just to fight all this, but unfortunately, all americans care about is how good they look, who is screwing who in holywood, and why they dont have a million freinds.

we are so so screwed.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
BTW did you see that Britney Spears got married

lol

But seriously.. you are so right. Far too right. Then one day people will pick up their mail. They will have a notice from the US Department of Employment Assignment (doesn't exist YET) with their new work assignment. They will scratch their heads. Next thing they will do is call a friend to complain but the friend will be affraid to talk about it on the phone because he wouldn't want to be labled as anti American. Where have I heard stories like this?

Oh... yeah... in school about the old USSR.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   
By the way, I do live in the US. I just dont associate with those people who think MTV and Comedy Central are the next best thing to sex, I have actually quit watching TV exept for local news and the 30 min nation news, everything else i get on the internet..

and IN this case is why I say they will try and control the net. what i said above is a prime example of it.. They are getting sick of people learning about what is really happening like the 49% of NYC residents who believe that the governement had prior knowldge of 9/11 and did nothing about it. They want us not to be able to find the truth buy rather listen to thier bs and deal with it.. anyway I am done.. Thanx Indy for the nice chat. Enjoyed it.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Ail heit Kuron Bush!(Very very bad spelling, but think that how you spell All hail King Bush in Attic greek when you english it)

Anyways, this is different than Nazi Germany how? Well, besides Hitler was elected by the people? Also, don't check any books out by Al Franken or Moore or anyone else with half a brain(even if, like Moore, that is all they have) for the FBI will see this and know you are anti-Bush, and as PA/PA2 state, baaaaaad...... Better check out Slander by Ann, who has no brain but then the FBI will let you go thinking you support Bush.(Ann is nuts, she thinks her cat was liberal and got rid of it)

Ok so I overblown Ann's thinking. Anyone know how old she is? her Coniticut(spelling wrong, damn public education!) license says she born in 1961, but her D.C. license says she was born in 1963, and she says that one is correct, but meaing she voted when she was 16, and that she been drinking since 19, and drove when she was 14...... Also, under PA, lieing n a drivers license is a federal offense, so Ann should be in jail.

[edit on 12-10-2004 by James the Lesser]

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Speaking of Hitler/Bush do you wanna hear something interesting..

When hitler said he would garentee the saftey of the people you know what he called is plan...

FatherLand Security....

US plan to take care of the people
HomeLand Security..

Now what happened with hitler..

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I want to point people again to G Monbiot who has written this about empowerment laws like the "patriot act" and "criminal justice bill" and how the govt keeps assuring us they won't be used to hinder civil protests.

www.monbiot.com...-880

He then lists the first arrests and convictions under the laws and guess who was the first to feel it... yep the protesters who we were assured were not going to be the target.
Three time this has happened in the UK, there is a clear pattern forming there.

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Not surprising at all. As I'm sure has been stated previously, the PA is a collection of ideas that had been sitting around for a very long time. The people who wanted these laws knew they would never pass. When 9/11 came around they knew they could pass them in the name of security. I'm fairly sure John Ashcroft got a woody when he read it too

[edit on 12-10-2004 by Anathema]

top topics

join