It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds: Mississippi County Runs 'school-to-prison pipeline'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Feds: Mississippi County Runs 'school-to-prison pipeline'

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Officials in Lauderdale County, Mississippi, have operated "a school-to-prison pipeline" that violates the constitutional rights of juveniles by incarcerating them for alleged school disciplinary infractions, some as minor as defiance, the U.S. Department of Justice said Friday.

"Students most affected by this system are African-American children and children with disabilities," the Justice Department said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Cops Strip Search Mom, "Forcibly" Pull Tampon Out of Her for Maybe Rolling Through Stop Sign
Judge accused of creating 'unusual shroud of secrecy' in movie theater shooting case

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

The federal agency's civil rights division seeks "meaningful negotiations" in 60 days to end the constitutional violations or else a federal lawsuit would be filed against state, county and local officials in Meridian, according to a Justice Department letter dated Friday to those officials.

It doesn't get more UN-American than this, folks. This is off the hook. I want to know why the Judges aren't taken off the bench and prosecuted along with the county "authorities" who are perpetrating this crime against children.

The report states that children were maced simply for not sitting in the back of their dirty, crowded cells, or for talking too much. Absolutely disgusting, I say. What is our country coming to? This is very disturbing, right alongside other news topics that are in the thread stream. A woman being strip searched by the side of the road, kids being imprisoned for minor school infractions. This is crazy s#*t right here folks. I can't even believe that they're giving them 60 days to fix the situation. The kids should be released NOW, and the so-called "authorities" should be immediately put into those same jail cells.
Again, absolutely disgusting!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10-8-2012 by moonzoo7 because: added story content from CNN

edit on 10-8-2012 by moonzoo7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-8-2012 by moonzoo7 because: My stupid typos!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I hate to say it, but this is probably just practice for the real deal...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

I know and that SUCKS. If they'll do it to kids ( and get away with it ), then the adults are next. I'm not a Right-Winger by any stretch, but a fortified bunker in Montana is looking more and more inviting!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by moonzoo7

Years ago you could see this coming in Florida, and many were calling The Department of Children and Families "Florida's Gestapo"...

Whatever has happened doesn't look like it's going away on it's own. It will be a massive undertaking to turn this boat around any time soon...

edit on 8/10/2012 by visualmiscreant because: typo

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Are there any members from Mississippi who have direct knowledge of this? If so, share your story, we'd all like to hear a first-hand account of how this affects the citizenry of MS.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant
I hate to say it, but this is probably just practice for the real deal...
If and when"the real deal"occurs the agents of the government WONT be dealing with CHILDREN,lol.I almost pity these fools when people finally strike back...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

I second that motion! Trust me, been thinking that the whole time...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Well my blood pressure just hit the roof, and what I don't understand is how the parents stayed quiet and how this wasn't a national outrage and why, they didn't inform the unlawful judges how they were going to be seeing some jail time and DEMANDING THEIR KIDS BACK, and chewing up the line upwards, over everyone's head to all the politiicians, and never shutting up, never sitting down, telling them, this unlawfulness is going to end with my kid out, and millions in compensation, the right way or I take a bulldozer to your jail house, I aint going home home without the kid AND without those who did this behind freaking bars!!!!!! And who am I, well your FREAKING BOSS!!! You either work for me or you hit the jail house.
edit on 10-8-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Like everything else in life, "education", religion, gangs..... The younger you get them, the "better".
The younger the mind, the more pliable and the easier to shape to your own liking.
edit on Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:17:08 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'm in MS but on the other side of the state, Greenville. I'll do some checking and see what I can come up with. This is the first I've heard of it being implemented, but I seem to recall some discussion a few years ago about the possibility of this type of program. I'll get back to you shortly.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
This is what happens when you privatize prisons and make them for-profit. There was the case out of PA where the judge was taking kickbacks for sentencing youths to detention facilities and prisons. It's sick.

The things that are tools for helping to make our society safer, healthier, smarter, etc. should not be privatized. We all have a vested interest in them - things like Schools, Hospitals, Prisons, Governmental Services, etc.

When we privatize those sorts of things we relinquish that interest for the benefit of saving a few bucks and our civil society is degraded. We lose the "common denominator" factor that helps keep society organized and strong. It just becomes a free-for-all devoid of ethics in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
And what do you know they have a FOR PROFIT prison right in a unincorporated section of Lauderdale county Mississippi!! Ya think that politicians, school officials and judges are getting a kick back? More prisoners means more profit for the CEO corporation. Yah know guys, everywhere I look I see total corruption, I have lost all faith in all of our institutions. Nothing is legit. Everything is a scam to benefit the very, very few at the point of the pyramid and to suck the lifes blood out of everybody else. This can't stand. This system WILL fall and I am so hopefull by PEACEFUL means.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Not sure if schools fit the bill to be honest. If schools had to compete, rather than be guaranteed kids for no reason other than where they lived, we might be better off. Hospitals, doctors, and prisons, I agree. I am thinking maybe the federal government is the problem in all of them. They should all be localized, the "bigger" the government overseeing, the crappier it does. I think that is why the pioneers of our nation wanted it to be the way they did it. USA mutated into another beast along the way, bigger government always means worse results.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonzoo7
reply to post by visualmiscreant

I know and that SUCKS. If they'll do it to kids ( and get away with it ), then the adults are next. I'm not a Right-Winger by any stretch, but a fortified bunker in Montana is looking more and more inviting!

Sorry to bust your bubble but Montana will be ground zero in a nuclear exchange do to the positioning of our ICBM silos there. Hey but look on the bright side, at least you'll be vaporized in the opening salvo. The rest of us will linger on in misery to die of radiation poisoning. Oh what a freakin world!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Sorry to burst your bubble, but this kind of action has been around since I was in High School in the 1970's. They actually had truant officers at our school that would go to homes if parents did not call in an absence for their child. After so many misses, a child would be put into what was called at the time, an audi home. Not sure that I know exactly what that meant but, I can tell you I never wanted to find out!

Also, if your grades were suspect, and you had no reason for bad ones, this was also an option for parents if they could not get you up to par.

I see nothing peculiar with this, and I grew up in a very wealthy Chicago suburb. Even we, being rich brats were subjected to the same rules.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Sorry for being so cynical, but...
you voted for them as so did we.

I dont believe in them any more and the way I see it is that governments
are the same food, dish but with different sauce.
The only thing that changes is the sauce...

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sulie

Really? In NY, I skipped school often, came into school "late" often. No truenmt oinkers ever did nothing. I graduated in 2001

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join